Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2011-09-28, 10:08 PM
Regular User

Default horrible kitchen floor

Can't believe this nightmare with our tiles. The grout in our kitchen has been cracked from day one. It started with little hairline cracks and progressively spread across the floor. Some spots were more cracked than others, such as by the kitchen and stove. Eventually, it began to flake off in chunks. FB has been in and out trying to patch and repair sections by scraping and pushing grout back through the cracks.

They also sent someone over to do a complete structural assessment where they checked all the reinforcements..etc. That checked out fine. They suspected it was the grout since it has also started to happen in our sunken foyer.

Last week, they finally came in and took a whole day to remove all the grout on the entire floor and re-grout. Tonight, I looked down when I was in the kitchen, and what do I see? Hairline cracks starting again. Argh! What else can it be? Is the floor not fastened properly? Is it the adhesive underneath? They checked and the floors seem to be level.

Last edited by GinaM; 2011-09-28 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2011-09-29, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Might be a good idea to go in your basement and measure the space in between and span of the joists, and check the rating on the joists themselves. Maybe they are spanned to far apart for the wood used?

We have a lot of give in our floors but we have hardwood so we only hear the squeaks.
Old 2011-09-29, 02:43 PM
Regular User

For the grout to come loose so easily I think there must be something wrong
With the subfloor and or joists. Consider hiring a home inspector or engineer
To assess it. I forsee this being a Tarion concilliation issue.
Old 2011-09-29, 03:09 PM
Regular User

from what i've seen on tv, cracking grout line usually results from flexing of the subfloor. severe flexing sometimes even cracks the tiles.
Old 2011-09-29, 04:50 PM
Regular User

That's what we're thinking too. I was afraid of that. Not looking foward to dealing with this. ugh. We paid a small fortune to upgrade these floors. So disappointing.

If anyone knows of a good inspector, please pass the name along. We've been in the house six months but we may not wait for the year end. We may go ahead and have someone take a look now.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaM View Post
That's what we're thinking too. I was afraid of that. Not looking foward to dealing with this. ugh. We paid a small fortune to upgrade these floors. So disappointing.

If anyone knows of a good inspector, please pass the name along. We've been in the house six months but we may not wait for the year end. We may go ahead and have someone take a look now.
Marco Ganassini,
BCQ. RHI. AScT. B.Comm
National Cert. #169
Certified Infrared Thermographer

marco@frontlinehome.com
905 339 3790
Old 2011-09-30, 10:06 PM
Regular User

You said you upgraded the tiles. Are they bigger tiles than the standard? My husband is a contractor and he said that you have to lay different mastic for bigger tiles or things can go wrong. He also said the joists should be 12 inches on center apart. If they are further then that's the problem.

good luck. that just sucks
Old 2011-10-01, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirual View Post
You said you upgraded the tiles. Are they bigger tiles than the standard? My husband is a contractor and he said that you have to lay different mastic for bigger tiles or things can go wrong. He also said the joists should be 12 inches on center apart. If they are further then that's the problem.

good luck. that just sucks
Very good advice, joists should be 12inches apart. Go in the basement and measure.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onearmed View Post
Very good advice, joists should be 12inches apart. Go in the basement and measure.
Joists spacing should be whatever they were engineered for. There is no one size fits all as different type and different style joists have different engineering requirements.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-10-01, 06:51 PM
Regular User

They are 12 inches apart. The tiles are 20x20. I've known plenty of other people that don't have problems like this