Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2008-09-27, 12:30 PM
Regular User

Default Powder Room light bars

Has anyone replaced the little light bars in their power rooms? I am replacing ours and notice that there isn't any junction box in the wall. It's just wires coming out of a small hole in the wall.

I don't really know much about the building codes, but I thought having some sort of box where lights/switches etc are installed would be standard code. Anyone know about this sort of thing before I call the Mattamy office?
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
Old 2008-09-27, 01:43 PM
Regular User

I think the junction boxes were only standard starting phase 3, but I could be mistaken. Before that you had to specify it as a paid upgrade.
Old 2008-09-27, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Had the same problem in our current house. Had to open up a hole, approx 1 foot by 1 foot, in the area of the fixture, install a cross brace (piece of 2x4 pependicular to and between two wall studs), then attach a junction box to the cross beam, seal up the wall, paint, etc. What a pain! We made sure with Mattamy that they include this -> for Phase 4 we're covered, but it sounds like you weren't that lucky..
Old 2008-09-27, 08:15 PM
Regular User

It just doesn't sound like its up to code. A light bar junction box as an extra? I plan on checking this out further with a couple of contractors next week and then with Mattamy.
Old 2008-09-27, 11:56 PM
Regular User

It's definitely up to code as the termination/connections for those bars are supposed to happen within the fixture (not that they always do).

As Vinay stated... they started making this standard midway through phase III. We originally had it on our list of upgrades and we recieved a credit after we asked about it after hearing that others (later in the phase) were getting it as a standard option.
MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-09-28 at 12:00 AM.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:06 AM
Regular User

we had it as an upgrade for ours- to include a J Box in every room.

Old 2008-09-28, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Chalk it up to being our first "new" home. I've had two homes in the past (not new ones) and have never encountered wires poking thru the drywall. Light bars included, there has always been a junction box. Perhaps they built homes better back then, or perhaps the original owners put the boxes in. Which is why I never dreamed they would install this way. Had I had any idea that it was an upgrade I would not have hesitated.

Regardless - the builders cost on those boxes are only buck or two and 5-10 minutes extra time on the part of the workers to do the "proper" install. Live and learn.
Old 2008-09-28, 08:35 PM
Regular User

We changed all of our light fixtures include the bathrooms over the mirrors and we had no problems, except our kids bathroom the light wasn't in the center of the mirror Which we weren't happy when we seen it!

Old 2008-09-28, 08:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabyBoys View Post
We changed all of our light fixtures include the bathrooms over the mirrors and we had no problems, except our kids bathroom the light wasn't in the center of the mirror Which we weren't happy when we seen it!
Were there junction boxes in the walls when you removed the builders light bar and if yes were you a later phase development?
Old 2008-09-28, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenD View Post
Were there junction boxes in the walls when you removed the builders light bar and if yes were you a later phase development?
I just spoke with my husband about the junction boxes...And yes there is junction boxes in all of the lights... As I can remember the one room that we struggle with was my kids bathroom the junction box wasn't deep enough and it was a struggle to get all the wires in. We also notice depending on the light fixtures you buy some seem to be more complicated than others...Especially the one's with that darn chain...Oh boy I can still hear my husband whining in my ears!

I don't think that's an upgrade...Our previous home that we had built 5 years ago had junction boxes as we changed the fixtures as soon as we moved in. I don't see how that's suppose to be an upgrade from what I've heard and was told. I guess every builder is different and offer different services.

Last edited by Mom2BabyBoys; 2008-09-28 at 09:41 PM.