Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-04-24, 09:30 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have a look and go from there!

Old 2013-04-24, 11:17 PM
Regular User

Also try the Monitoring Center I haven't actually used them but I have heard good reviews and the priceses seem very resonable.
Old 2013-04-25, 05:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebise101 View Post
Also try the Monitoring Center I haven't actually used them but I have heard good reviews and the priceses seem very resonable.
Thanks for the suggestion, but they don't seem to service the Ottawa area. They do look like a very decent company though. I like the fact they give you info on the different components.

Old 2013-04-25, 01:04 PM
Regular User

I asked about contacts for the rear windows on my main floor and my installer suggested a glass breakage sensor instead. The range is pretty good and it covers two windows and the patio door. My glass breakage sensor sits on an interior wall so you don't have to worry mucking up the vapour barrier. Maybe something to look into.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2013-04-25, 01:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I asked about contacts for the rear windows on my main floor and my installer suggested a glass breakage sensor instead. The range is pretty good and it covers two windows and the patio door. My glass breakage sensor sits on an interior wall so you don't have to worry mucking up the vapour barrier. Maybe something to look into.
Still nice to have the perimeter security of contact sensors though... that's what's pushing me a little in that direction. Glass break sensors aren't a bad idea regardless, although I'm paranoid of false alarms from things I've read.
Old 2013-04-25, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Still nice to have the perimeter security of contact sensors though... that's what's pushing me a little in that direction. Glass break sensors aren't a bad idea regardless, although I'm paranoid of false alarms from things I've read.
Understandable with the corner lot.

I did have to disable the keypad chime because it would go off when the trades were in the house hammering. Never the alarm itself going off though even during a movie.
Old 2013-04-25, 02:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Understandable with the corner lot.

I did have to disable the keypad chime because it would go off when the trades were in the house hammering. Never the alarm itself going off though even during a movie.
Really... that's interesting. I might take another look at them then. Yeah the corner, but also just for one of us forgetting to close a window at night or when we leave. I like that the system wouldn't let me arm it in those cases. Not necessarily worth the extra trouble though... we'll see.
Old 2013-04-26, 05:49 AM
Regular User

Could you not just position multiple motion sensors in which a way that even if someone came in your window, the motion would pick them up?

We have an open concept style home and motion sensors on different angles. There would be no way anyone could get by without setting them off.

Old 2013-04-26, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Really... that's interesting. I might take another look at them then. Yeah the corner, but also just for one of us forgetting to close a window at night or when we leave. I like that the system wouldn't let me arm it in those cases. Not necessarily worth the extra trouble though... we'll see.
Just out of curiosity, what type of contacts do they use for the windows? I was looking at my windows last night and the patio sliding contact would definitely not work since the screen would be in the way.
Old 2013-04-26, 09:48 AM
Administrator

We use just standard surface mounting contacts on the outside of the screen, but inside the ledge of the casement window. Usually you want the hole for the wire drilled on the side of the window frame.

Note: There is no advantage to putting contacts on casement style windows. They cannot be pried open from the outside. You open them by smashing the glass, and that will not affect the contact.

The only reason to put one on there is to tell if you the window is open when you try to arm your system.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/