Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2014-02-08, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Another vote for hardwire but only if you have some type of demarcation area to connect everything to.
the builder (sig audio) installed 5 in the upstairs all joined into a big white box which must be that? cable is also is in there

thanks all for the help
Old 2014-02-08, 04:02 PM
Regular User

M&L could you please clarify? you mentioned avoiding a switch and then installing one so not sure ..... must be 2 kinds of switches?

tks
Old 2014-02-08, 05:13 PM
Regular User

M&L is just talking about the placement of the switch. You can run one cable to your TV area and then place a switch there to connect multiple devices. Or you can have a switch in your big white box and run three dedicated cables to your TV area. It's pretty much the same.

I currently have six devices but only three are connected.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2014-02-08, 05:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
M&L is just talking about the placement of the switch.
Right. Sorry I should of been more clear.

For me, the only reason I didn't want the switch near the TV was I did not want another box with cables coming out of it and looking unsightly because I don't have an entertainment cabinet to hide everything. MY PVR sits on an open floating shelf with the cables neatly tucked behind and into the wall. If you have a cabinet to hide everything, it's probably not an issue.
Old 2014-02-10, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Put a network connection at every single TV location. Preferably 2.
TV is coming over a network now with AppleTV, Netflix, media players and more.

Bells FIBE boxes now prefer installation using a network connection instead of coax. However note, this is for their own network, you will not be able to put a switch in there to create additional network connections.

Wireless is lovely and all, but far from being a reliable method to stream loads of data consistently. We use multiple commercial grade Ruckus access points in large houses at $800/each and we still will not guarantee anything with streaming media.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-02-11, 08:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Put a network connection at every single TV location. Preferably 2.
TV is coming over a network now with AppleTV, Netflix, media players and more.

Bells FIBE boxes now prefer installation using a network connection instead of coax. However note, this is for their own network, you will not be able to put a switch in there to create additional network connections.

Wireless is lovely and all, but far from being a reliable method to stream loads of data consistently. We use multiple commercial grade Ruckus access points in large houses at $800/each and we still will not guarantee anything with streaming media.
I was going to raise the Bell Fibe TV point as well. You can actually still use a switch if you're determined, but you need to play around with VLANs. Definitely easier to just put two network drops at each location if you want to reserve one for the Fibe TV connection, then have the other for an Apple TV or your TV itself.
Old 2014-02-11, 12:04 PM
Regular User

ok - will do that best to do this 'right' now - sounds like it could be a selling feature down the road

Thanks to all for advice
Old 2014-02-13, 11:55 PM
Regular User

If you can run them to all bedrooms too. When I built my house I ran it to every bedroom, only thing i regret is not getting more outlets in the bedrooms (place for outlet not that convenient).

M&L is right about the TV room, the more ports you have the better it is, but for my family room I went with a switch instead of the extra cables because I have 5 devices, and running 5 cables would add up because the builder wanted $70 per run.

PS buy a punch tool and r45 cable tester, it has saved my butt when I was patching my cables and some of the wires didn't punch properly.

Buy everything from Monoprice such as the punch tool, keystones, patch panel, plates etc.

Last edited by jebise101; 2014-02-13 at 11:59 PM.
Old 2014-02-14, 07:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebise101 View Post
If you can run them to all bedrooms too. When I built my house I ran it to every bedroom, only thing i regret is not getting more outlets in the bedrooms (place for outlet not that convenient).

M&L is right about the TV room, the more ports you have the better it is, but for my family room I went with a switch instead of the extra cables because I have 5 devices, and running 5 cables would add up because the builder wanted $70 per run.

PS buy a punch tool and r45 cable tester, it has saved my butt when I was patching my cables and some of the wires didn't punch properly.

Buy everything from Monoprice such as the punch tool, keystones, patch panel, plates etc.
Check cablesonsale.ca as well. They resell monoprice with less of a markup than the cost of importing, and you get it quicker. Their stock fluctuates, but if it's on the site then they have it and you get it very quickly!