Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2014-02-01, 11:46 PM
Regular User

Default How to hide home theatre components in another room?

In our new home we're planning on mounting the tv above the fireplace but don't really have anywhere to hide the home theatre components. The fireplace will be almost flush with the wall and there will be two big windows next to it so I'd like to hide all of the components in the basement just under the fireplace.

We just need it for a receiver, PlayStation, Wii and Rogers PVR (if I'm not forgetting anything).

Does anyone know of any equipment available that we could use as a relay?

I've checked around on the web and there seem to be a lot of options, I just thought someone here might have some local experience with these.

Thanks!
Old 2014-02-02, 08:36 AM
Regular User

It depends whether you're willing to put some work into setting up a DIY solution like Logitech Harmony, or whether you're willing to pay to have an AV professional put in a high-end solution. Are you looking to do this all yourself?
Old 2014-02-02, 09:12 AM
Regular User

Depends on the cost/work involved in either solution

In our last home we wired all of the components and speakers into the walls ourselves (meaning my husband lol) and it looked really tidy to have the cables/speaker wires all coming out of a panel behind the component cabinet...
I was kind of looking to do the same thing in the new house, but the have the panel at the basement ceiling below however, I'm guessing the remotes won't work as well through the floor.
This is likely to be our "forever home" so I'm willing to put in the extra money/effort (within reason) to for a high-end solution.

...on that note, we also had built-in Bose speakers in our last home but weren't overly thrilled with the quality of the sound (well, I thought they were fine, my husband didn't seem to care for them ) any suggestions for clean looking (and inexpensive) surround sound speakers? I know if you throw enough money at something, anything is possible, but I'm looking for the kind of speakers you're surprised you paid so little for! lol
Old 2014-02-02, 12:33 PM
Regular User

We have our tv mounted above the fireplace & all the components are right under the tv in the basement, we didn't have a conduit installed or anything like that but we did get a power outlet installed behind the tv above the fireplace, our installer fished the wires (2 HDMI wires) from behind the tv to down the basement, so everything in family room looks clean with not a single wire or component just the TV. We didn't get those fancy harmony remote, what our installer told us to get is the IR reciever they sell at TheSource, it's about $40 bucks, all you do is place one of the recievers anywhere in your family room & the 2nd reciever down in the basement beside your components and everything works seemlessly while it's budget friendly.
Old 2014-02-03, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Not sure what you would call inexpensive surround speakers but Paradigm (www.paradigm.com), a Canadian company, makes some really good in-wall/ceiling speakers. They are lightyears better than Bose but not dirt cheap. As for quality, well I still use Paradigm floor standing speakers that I bought in the 80's and they still sound great.
Old 2014-02-03, 10:47 AM
Administrator

There are many different ways to do what you are asking. It's something we do for just about every install. Really depends on your budget. Fast, easy or cheap. Pick 2.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-02-03, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Easy and cheap would be great

Since there is a niche in the foundation below where the fireplace is, I was thinking of putting a shelf near the ceiling for everything to sit on and installing an outlet in the ceiling (with dogs and toddlers, outlets and electronics out of reach are always a plus).... but didn't want to reinvent the wheel in case anyone has some better solutions?
The components are also pretty new so I'd rather not have them go to waste by purchasing a smart TV.
Old 2014-02-17, 11:51 AM

Lightbulb TV above fireplace

My 2 cents - not sure why people think putting a plastic TV above a heating device or fireplace is a good idea.
So many people getting ideas to do this only to find the TV overheating and melting the screen or interior components.
Have been to a number of homes with this exact problem when the TV crackles, shuts off, colors messed up, etc etc.

They show this idea on the movies as a decoration feature, but forget to show the obvious, HEAT RISES. Try turning on that fireplace and leave it on for an hour, you'll barely be able to touch the stone above fire.

You could get away with this by recessing the TV or building a mantle that diverts the heat horizontally beyond the TV screen.

And who really is comfortable sitting in a couch and having their line of site 6-7 feet above floor level?
Electrical Services, contracting and inspections.
Oakville ON
Old 2014-02-17, 02:19 PM
Regular User

Have had my TV above the fireplace for 3 years with no problems with only the builder's mantle protecting it. Wife turns on the fireplace almost every night for a few hours these days. Maybe the fact that I have a fan on the fireplace helps a bit but it doesn't push much air. My TV has never come close to having the screen melt!
Old 2014-02-17, 03:13 PM
Administrator

We have been mounting TVs above fireplaces for as long as someone thought it was a good idea.. Never an issue with heat.

We still go back to several of those houses years later to do other things, and no issues with the TVs.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/