Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2014-02-17, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrilight View Post
My 2 cents - not sure why people think putting a plastic TV above a heating device or fireplace is a good idea.
So many people getting ideas to do this only to find the TV overheating and melting the screen or interior components.
Have been to a number of homes with this exact problem when the TV crackles, shuts off, colors messed up, etc etc.

They show this idea on the movies as a decoration feature, but forget to show the obvious, HEAT RISES. Try turning on that fireplace and leave it on for an hour, you'll barely be able to touch the stone above fire.

You could get away with this by recessing the TV or building a mantle that diverts the heat horizontally beyond the TV screen.

And who really is comfortable sitting in a couch and having their line of site 6-7 feet above floor level?
For starters, many of us have a fan with our fireplace and so heat is directed outwards, not up to the TV. Secondly, even without my fan running, things don't really get warm on the wall above the fireplace. The heat does rise, but out into the room at the same time.

WRT the height of the TV, it doesn't need to be that high. Mine is above 9 inches above the top of the fireplace, which puts the vertical centre of the TV below my eye level when I stand in front of it. Factor in the 15 ft between my couch and the TV, and it isn't the least bit uncomfortable.

The reality is that in many new houses these days you don't have a lot of other options for a TV on the main level. We're very happy with outs, and in fact I really wish the fireplace would bake it, so that I could get a nice new bezel-less one, but after 4 years it's still going strong
Old 2014-02-17, 04:29 PM
Regular User

We've had one over the fireplace for 5 years, my parents have had theirs for 7 and no issues for us either.
When we moved to our current house actually, 6 months ago, we took the exact same TV we've been watching up in the air and put it on a table all summer because we didn't have time to mount it on the wall... it was the most annoying thing ever! I never knew how great it was to have it up on the wall until I had to listen to someone constantly shooing someone or some dog out of the way of the TV.
Also, for anyone with small kids or big dogs (or even bigger kids), these new TVs are really badly designed to be left on a table... they tip over pretty easily for a $2,000 object just left untethered at eye-level lol... if my tv doesn't get knocked over by a kid, it will definitely take a hit from a 5lb chew toy being crazily shaken by a dog, so fireplace heat is the least of my worries
Old 2014-02-18, 09:09 AM
Regular User

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if it is hot enough above your gas fireplace to actually start melting your TV then you might want to have someone in to adjust your fireplace because it is putting out too much heat and you risk burning your home down!!!

Sure, I could see the heat affecting the useful life of the TV. Most TVs will have user guides that state what temperatures it should be operated at. And more than likely having a fire will raise it above what the manufacturer suggests. And this will more than likely affect the longevity of your TV. But melting it??? I don't think so.
Old 2014-02-24, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrilight View Post
So many people getting ideas to do this only to find the TV overheating and melting the screen or interior components.
Have been to a number of homes with this exact problem when the TV crackles, shuts off, colors messed up, etc etc.

They show this idea on the movies as a decoration feature, but forget to show the obvious, HEAT RISES. Try turning on that fireplace and leave it on for an hour, you'll barely be able to touch the stone above fire.

You could get away with this by recessing the TV or building a mantle that diverts the heat horizontally beyond the TV screen.
so maybe just to clarify a bit, fans certainly divert enough heat away, but the places I have been in for these calls I mentioned, the TV was protruding 1-6 inches in front of the vertical line of the fireplace. Not knowing the living conditions of the families, I only assume there were hours of heating. I didn't mean the whole TV was a pile of plastic on the floor. One was even above a wood fireplace.
Electrical Services, contracting and inspections.
Oakville ON
Old 2014-03-07, 05:12 PM
Regular User

No ones turns on their fireplace 24 hours, just once in a while, we've only turned it on maybe 2 times just to make sure it still works.
Old 2014-03-14, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
No ones turns on their fireplace 24 hours, just once in a while, we've only turned it on maybe 2 times just to make sure it still works.
But that's how your family uses the fire place... cant make that generalization for others. Our family uses the fire place daily for about an hour or so. During the summer i do turn off the pilot light (yes i know you can leave it on) but i turn it off and just set it up when i turn the tstat to heating for the winter.
Old 2014-07-25, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Question Conduit

Hi there,

We just moved into our home and we had a conduit added above the ground floor fireplace, so we could mount our TV and have the cable box in the basement (directly below).

Iím not very techy, so figuring out what device I need, that will allow me to control the cable box from the living room, has proven to be a bit of a challenge!

The TV is a 2-yr old Samsung and the cable box is a Rogers Nextbox 2.0 PVR. Thatís all Iím trying to control, nothing fancier than that

I originally ordered this device, but have set it up and cannot get it to work: http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Dual-...e-Controls.asp

Iím now searching for another solution. Iíve been looking into the Acoustic Research Remote Control Extender (http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...language=en-CA), but there are some reviews saying if a neighbour has the same item, they could start controlling our TV, without realizing it.

Iím also looking at the Logitech Harmony Smart Control (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...7498906759en02), but it is significantly more expensive, and seems a bit overkill for controlling my one device (Nextbox PVR).

Do any of you have experiences with these products? Or recommendations for an easy set-up?

Thanks very much!
Old 2014-07-25, 10:15 AM
Regular User

I don't use my conduits, just have the box mounted behind the TV. Unless you pull the mount out it's completely out of sight. Never had a problem changing channels. May not work for all mounts but so have mine suspended in a gap and so both the cable box and TV have plenty of air around them.