Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2015-03-09, 07:02 PM
Regular User

Mutual agreement it should be in your tarion.
Are the light post up?
Old 2015-03-09, 07:05 PM
Regular User

No I believe there were no street lights in yet.
Old 2015-03-11, 09:24 PM
Regular User

Just had my stage 1 decor appointment. Anyone else have theirs yet?
Old 2015-03-12, 08:14 PM
Regular User

Lucky popcorn! When is your closing date this summer?
Old 2015-03-12, 08:45 PM
Regular User

Not so lucky. I got a call today and they want to delay my closing from June 29 to sept 29. They offered $7500 in upgrades if I were to accept it.
I could sure use any upgrade credits. A lot of upgrade prices are ridiculous.
When is your scheduled closing Bohol?
Old 2015-03-13, 12:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_popcorn View Post
Not so lucky. I got a call today and they want to delay my closing from June 29 to sept 29. They offered $7500 in upgrades if I were to accept it.
I could sure use any upgrade credits. A lot of upgrade prices are ridiculous.
When is your scheduled closing Bohol?
4 delays. They might have to compensate you more like renting expenses but check your contract. Otherwise I'd take the free upgrade credit.
Old 2015-03-13, 12:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinop View Post
We just put a deposit down on West Country.. they said they are confident they can get us in by November 2015.. We have never bought a new home, what do you guys think the chances of that happening are? Could it be year's before they begin to build? We bought lot 20# Strachan trail
Nice right across the street from me. I'll be the invisible neighbour.
Old 2015-03-13, 08:46 AM
Regular User

So this is my scenario. Builder rep called me to delay home from end of June to end of September and they would add $7500 in upgrade credits. I said sure which counts as a mutual agreement I think. I should have told them to let me think about it or that I have to talk to my lawyer first but anyways.
I thought I had made a mistake by making a mutual agreement because I remembered seeing this on Tarion before.

"Delayed closing compensation for living expenses (meals and accommodation) is payable based on a fixed amount of $150 a day for each day of delay until the Delayed Closing Date or the date that the purchase agreement is terminated. Receipts for living expenses are not required."

So this would have been equivalent to $13,500 for 90 days firm delay. BUT, Tarion also states this:

Delayed closing compensation up to a maximum of $7,500 is payable:

• If closing occurs on a date after the Firm Closing Date; or
• If you exercised your right to terminate the purchase agreement due to delay as permitted by the Addendum (e.g. as per the Purchaser’s Termination Period). In this case you are also entitled to a full refund of all monies paid (i.e., deposits, extras and upgrades) plus interest

So in conclusion, it seems $7500 is the max you can get in compensation anyways.

I thought builder was trying to rip me off but so far besides the repeated delays, the builder has been really good in terms of customer service and response.
I know for a lot of people, it may be really difficult when it comes to delays but for me, it's not so bad since I'm living in my brothers living room haha and I can use the upgrade credits.
Old 2015-03-13, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Lucky Popcorn! What did you choose at your decor appointment? And this was the 1st one? Are there several? Did you have an option for any structural upgrades, like high ceiling in the basement etc?
Old 2015-03-13, 11:14 PM

hello future neighbours, i was looking for information about cosmopolitan homes and i came across this website. we had put a deposit on the Mackenzie model plan B on lot 64 on strachan trail back in January, and just like everyone else here, they are confident they can get us in by the second week of November. After reading on here about the delays from the builders, i brought it up to the sales rep 3 weeks ago and her answers was that there was some delay because of the land being a conservation area or something like it and at the beginning of march they would be getting the building permits so they could get started. when i met up with the sales rep 3 weeks ago, i drove around the site which had the gates open but i couldn't see much as there was still too much snow and piles of dirt. all i could see was the lots numbered with some pipes sticking up next to the lot number. has anyone been there recently? this is my first time purchasing a home from a builder, hopefully they can start building soon, as i am moving this month from my home which i sold back in December to an apartment. i will try to make some time this weekend to drive up there and see what is new on the site.