Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-07-10, 11:51 AM
Regular User

I wasn't told at all during my DC appointments and I was not informed now. But I went with the standards. Maybe I should follow up with them
Old 2019-07-12, 12:02 PM

we were supposed to close in march. our closing is coming up july 16. we are in corner lot and we have 3 boxes along the side of our property...but to us it is like there is a big ugly box in front of our main door....we had no idea they would be there until we drove by the site a few months ago and it was too late to do anything about it. I am not sure why the city didn't just put them behind the houses or why such large ugly boxes are even necessary....seems to me they did just what is easiest for city and utilities and no regard for the people who paid good money for the houses.
Old 2019-07-12, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canddcg View Post
we were supposed to close in march. our closing is coming up july 16. we are in corner lot and we have 3 boxes along the side of our property...but to us it is like there is a big ugly box in front of our main door....we had no idea they would be there until we drove by the site a few months ago and it was too late to do anything about it. I am not sure why the city didn't just put them behind the houses or why such large ugly boxes are even necessary....seems to me they did just what is easiest for city and utilities and no regard for the people who paid good money for the houses.
Your sales package should have included a survey map, which tells you trees, utilities, etc. If the boxes are on there, and you signed the agreement, there is nothing you can do. However, if the boxes aren't there, and they've added them after the fact, you can be compensated.
Old 2019-07-12, 12:13 PM

we are closing july 16 and we still don't have official survey of the lot....we get it july 16 according to lawyer who we met with this morning. we started with the 1cm x 1cm picture of the lot everyone sees. I kicked up a stink and got a better drawing of the lot with no easements on it....then once construction started I could see a bunch of wires sticking out of the ground and that became the boxes. long after the house and boxes were built we got an amendment to sign...but it was all already built by then so we felt we had no choice but to sign it. I think it is up the city where these things go but I am not certain...but any city planner with any sense would not do it the way it is done as far as I am concerned. whatever I will get over it and enjoy my house as is. one more thing according to lawyer we met with is that city can add easements as required....even after closing.
Old 2019-07-12, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canddcg View Post
we are closing july 16 and we still don't have official survey of the lot....we get it july 16 according to lawyer who we met with this morning. we started with the 1cm x 1cm picture of the lot everyone sees. I kicked up a stink and got a better drawing of the lot with no easements on it....then once construction started I could see a bunch of wires sticking out of the ground and that became the boxes. long after the house and boxes were built we got an amendment to sign...but it was all already built by then so we felt we had no choice but to sign it. I think it is up the city where these things go but I am not certain...but any city planner with any sense would not do it the way it is done as far as I am concerned. whatever I will get over it and enjoy my house as is. one more thing according to lawyer we met with is that city can add easements as required....even after closing.
Really? The City of Ottawa requires it before they will permit... we got ours the day we signed our agreement over a year ago...
Old 2019-07-12, 12:21 PM

In our case, they showed us the survey of the area on the day of signing the purchase agreement, and that's when we found out about the electric box and the sidewalk we are going to have in front of us.

Keep us updated on how your closing goes. Best of luck! I think you'll be one of the first people moving into Cowan's Grove.
Old 2019-07-12, 12:38 PM

we signed purchase agreement December 2017 so maybe they didn't have everything at that point. yes, we were told we will be the first to move in. if I sounded unhappy, I am not...we had our PDI and the house is beautiful.