Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2009-08-05, 02:07 PM
Regular User

Default Dog problems

Hate to start another thread about this but it seems that lately wherever I step in the neighbourhood I have to jump over a fresh steaming pile of dog sh*t. I think this problem is getting worse. In addition to this it seems that some people think it is perfectly OK to let their dogs run around leash free, especially in blocks where there are no fences. My son has been jumped on a number of times and is now terrified off dogs. I guess mission accomplished......
I am really close to calling this problem in....
Old 2009-08-05, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Not sure where you guys find all this $hit... You must just have bad neighbours. When I walk around it really isn't an issue.

You'll probably also notice dogs pissing just off the sidewalk and on your front lawn... Solution: buy a house with a bigger front lawn!! Go to any other neighbourhood and you'll notice the same thing. The only difference is that their front door isn't 3 steps from the side walk, so they can't be bothered with it. As the sales office would tell you, buyer beware!

If the dogs jump on him they must be just trying to play. The reason he's terrified must stem from something other then playful dogs.... hmmm, could it be a paranoid parent that's afraid of dogs???
Old 2009-08-05, 03:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffask View Post
Solution: buy a house with a bigger front lawn!!
+1

Welcome to the burbs, don't let this **** bother you!
Old 2009-08-05, 04:55 PM
Regular User

Speaking as a dog lover, I don't approve of dogs running leash free in a residential area. In a park and providing a responsible owner is cleaning up the dog pooh, and respecting others then not a problem. Also a great way to socialize your pet with other peoples pets.

In some areas this can be unavoidable, like if you live next to a sidewalk where people walk their dogs. Be prepared to have some owners who will think nothing of them poohing on your property and not bothering to clean it up. (Apparently not their problem it seems). Urinating while somewhat a pain isn't something you'd be able to control or do anything about. Dogs will go when they decide. No owner can control this, imo.

If it was jumping on my kids even though friendly I'd be discussing it with the owner providing I could find out who it was, hoping that might solve the problem.

Some kids are allergic to pet dander and can cause breathing problems as well. Not to mention that if the dog is dirty it gets that dirt on the kids clothes or adults as well. Why should anyone have to pay dry cleaning bills because of someone's dog running around loose. Again not something I'd imagine would happen to often.

It certainly would depend on the severity of the problem but dog pooh everywhere would be something I certainly would not like. One thing to clean up my own dogs pooh but someone else's just cries of an owner with no regard to their neighbors at all. That being said most owners do clean up their pets dodo, and occassionally your gonna step in a big pile, lifes sh***y
might as well suck it up and move on.

My two cents. Take it for what its worth.
Old 2009-08-05, 06:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
...If the dogs jump on him they must be just trying to play. The reason he's terrified must stem from something other then playful dogs....
right... dogs would never bite kids...

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/stat...requentvictims

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
...My son has been jumped on a number of times and is now terrified off dogs...
if a strange dog jumped on my kid he'd be a dead dog pretty damn quick.

Last edited by oakvillehomeowner; 2009-08-05 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2009-08-05, 06:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Not sure where you guys find all this $hit... You must just have bad neighbours. When I walk around it really isn't an issue.

You'll probably also notice dogs pissing just off the sidewalk and on your front lawn... Solution: buy a house with a bigger front lawn!! Go to any other neighbourhood and you'll notice the same thing. The only difference is that their front door isn't 3 steps from the side walk, so they can't be bothered with it. As the sales office would tell you, buyer beware!

If the dogs jump on him they must be just trying to play. The reason he's terrified must stem from something other then playful dogs.... hmmm, could it be a paranoid parent that's afraid of dogs???

Seriously?! Buy a house with a bigger front yard?! Why should I have to buy a home to accommodate your dog's actions? Be a responsible pet owner and clean up your crap!

A responsible dog owner will leash their dog and will intervene immediately if there is a potential for their dog to jump on another person, particularly a child. If I knew my dog had the habit to jump on strangers, even though that is just his way to greet people, it's unacceptable to just let him do it and I wouldn't let him do it.
Old 2009-08-05, 07:22 PM
Regular User

Default Dogs

Let's face it this place is going to have social problems. There are no parks for kids let alone dogs. Houses are 3 feet from the sidewalk so you are going to be close to people and animals that walk by. Dogs pee on peoples yards and kids run through them.

Suggesting to buy a bigger house may sound stupid but if you want privacy you picked the wrong place.
Old 2009-08-06, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:

Comment and reaction very much in line with the problem being discussed here. I guess you are the type of person who would be happy to see your 17-month old being knocked down by a large breed dog and write it off as dog just wanting to play. All I can say is - no comment....
Old 2009-08-06, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Don't be a punk, I'm sure you're just over reacting
Old 2009-08-06, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiouslyWaiting View Post
Urinating while somewhat a pain isn't something you'd be able to control or do anything about. Dogs will go when they decide. No owner can control this, imo.
I disagree with this. You can control that. I have a dog and I never let him step foot on someone's lawn. I shorten his leash if he tries to. If you have one of those annoying retractable leashes and let your dog go wherever he pleases, of course he's going to relieve himself wherever he sees fit. Just don't give him that option and problem solved. Too bad not everyone is as considerate as us.