Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region

Old 2012-01-23, 01:31 AM
Regular User

Default Home inspector in Halton Region... (testimonial)

Been meaning to do this for a while, but I kept forgetting..
My 1-year submissions were due back at the end of November 2011..

I saw a few good recommendations for Halton Home Inspection Service.

Andy Shaw is a nice person, who is very informative as he went into details on not only what potential issues he saw, but why they could be problems. He was also very quick to respond by email or to return a phone call if he didn't answer right away -- even after the inspection was done with, I had some follow up questions which he answered in great detail. He was even willing to discuss with the builder or Tarion on my behalf if the problem wasn't resolved to satisfaction.

The two greatest benefits of going with Andy were:

1. The IR camera that he uses to inspect the walls and ceilings.. with it, he was able to determine that there were a few spots in my attic where the insulation was non-existent because (as I found out from the attic insulation guys later) the soffits were not installed right away and so the insulation was blown back from where they should have been.

If you zoom in, you can see the dark spots where the insulation was missing. The insulation guys who came to top up my insulation confirmed this.

2. The final report (which was given to us before he left our home) came with a big BINDER - 'The Home Reference Book Reporting System' which tells you what you should take care of, maintenance-wise.. (details are on the website)

My good friend and neighbour on my street couldn't book Andy due to scheduling conflicts.. he ended up hiring a P.Eng from a different company.. (cost for the P.Eng was a bit higher than what we paid). While their report was prettier (actually, it was all computer done with lots of pics with the issues highlighted), it was all visual inspection.. I thought the IR scans alone were worth it. (Note, he did not scan every room and every wall with the 1-year inspection service, but he did scan important places like under bathrooms, etc)

He posts a lot of his really bad findings as examples on a forum (HawthorneVillager - PM me for the link if you can't find it, don't want to break forum rules) where he does a pretty good job of selling his service. (Many more testimonials there too! ...He also has an account on here)

Andy did a fantastic job and I felt more than satisfied with the service he provided and the pricing.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions about the home inspection service he provided for me.

--Will

Last edited by wkim75; 2012-01-23 at 01:35 AM. Reason: removed link to external forum...