Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2021-03-04, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonC View Post
Awesome! Parkside is a very popular model, what elevation did you choose?

We picked our exteriors a few weeks ago, was fun going to their Abbotsville neighbourhood to check out the colours in person first. Theirs is the closest to the brick boards for Connections. Have you chosen your colours as well?
We just received email to book design studio appointment between last week of March and first week of April)
Old 2021-03-07, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyR View Post
We just received email to book design studio appointment between last week of March and first week of April)
Yeah we just got our binders last week too. Our drive by at Abbotsville was for the exterior brick selection, not the interior which is only being done now
Old 2021-03-10, 01:43 AM

Default Hey Neighbours!

Hey Folks,

We’ve booked a Parkside on Unity as well! Very excited...Parkside is the reason why we booked with Mattany!

Our design consultant appointment is later this month but we did go to the design centre couple of times to understand all the choicest and upgrades. Ended making an exhaustive excel sheet with all prices and sections lol

Was wondering if you have opinions on upgrades that are better with the builder vs having it done or DIYing later?
Old 2021-03-11, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_S View Post
Hey Folks,

We’ve booked a Parkside on Unity as well! Very excited...Parkside is the reason why we booked with Mattany!

Our design consultant appointment is later this month but we did go to the design centre couple of times to understand all the choicest and upgrades. Ended making an exhaustive excel sheet with all prices and sections lol

Was wondering if you have opinions on upgrades that are better with the builder vs having it done or DIYing later?

Think it all depends on what you're willing to live through after closing, and how handy you are. We prioritize items that are virtually impossible or extremely expensive to do afterwards (structural upgrades like 9' ceilings on second floor, rec room rough-in if you plan on finishing your basement, etc).

Many of the upgrades are doable post-closing (flooring, cabinetry, tiles) but can be a nightmare to live through and may not be worth it for some people for minor savings. I would save the small things for DIY like backsplash, crown moulding, replacing hardware, replacing countertops (not DIY but could result in significant savings per piece)...but anything that requires hiring a professional (or two) to come and do may end up costing you more or more headache. Perfect example is potlights - it's outrageous that they charge $900 for 4 potlights, as you can get an electrician to put them in for about $300; however, you'll likely have to get a drywall guy to come in and patch up all the holes and smooth out and repaint the ceiling (especially if you have smooth ceilings). Once you factor in all those costs and time to coordinate it, may be a wash.
Old 2021-03-11, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Think it all depends on what you're willing to live through after closing, and how handy you are. We prioritize items that are virtually impossible or extremely expensive to do afterwards (structural upgrades like 9' ceilings on second floor, rec room rough-in if you plan on finishing your basement, etc).
For us, we got the higher ceiling on both floors plus the flooring, countertop, and cabinets. I'm a little handy but often have to do most work by myself, so I have to keep the DIY stuff to what's possible alone.

Agree, that the Pot lights are def. outrageously priced. I saw this YouTube DIY tutorial that might help with the Pot lights install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOK_EH5YHjM.
I am planning on getting some spare dry wall and just practice making clean holes
Old 2021-03-11, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Talking

Quote:
For us, we got the higher ceiling on both floors plus the flooring, countertop, and cabinets. I'm a little handy but often have to do most work by myself, so I have to keep the DIY stuff to what's possible alone.

Agree, that the Pot lights are def. outrageously priced. I saw this YouTube DIY tutorial that might help with the Pot lights install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOK_EH5YHjM.
I am planning on getting some spare dry wall and just practice making clean holes
Did you upgrade all doors to 8'? When we bought our first Mattamy home, it was only $200 to increase doors to 8' (for the whole house), but now they charge almost $200 PER DOOR. Our Parkside has 14 doors on the second floor alone so that's a pretty hefty upgrade to get an extra 1' but would be even more costly to do after the fact.
Old 2021-03-11, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Did you upgrade all doors to 8'? When we bought our first Mattamy home, it was only $200 to increase doors to 8' (for the whole house), but now they charge almost $200 PER DOOR. Our Parkside has 14 doors on the second floor alone so that's a pretty hefty upgrade to get an extra 1' but would be even more costly to do after the fact.

That is def highway robbery but I guess we have to pay for it now that we have committed to the higher ceiling. Also pay for other things where I feel DIYing would take a whole lot of time.

When do you close? We're in Dec. this year but expecting a 4-5 months delay.
Old 2021-03-13, 07:20 AM
Regular User

Talking

Quote:
That is def highway robbery but I guess we have to pay for it now that we have committed to the higher ceiling. Also pay for other things where I feel DIYing would take a whole lot of time.

When do you close? We're in Dec. this year but expecting a 4-5 months delay.
We're scheduled for January, but when I asked Mattamy about their closings they didn't seem concerned at all about delays, saying they have more than enough time for this project since everything's pushed out to begin with. Even on the PSA, it says construction will begin latest in August for us, and usually it takes builders 4-6 months to build and finish a home. Are you expecting a delay because of the trades shortages or have you heard more from the builder? I wouldn't mind a few months delay myself cuz I don't want to do a PDI in the winter where I can't see the exterior properly, let alone move lol
Old 2021-04-06, 09:26 AM

Hi! I and my husband recently purchased in Connections as well. So excited to meet you all! Thanks for creating the thread Allison! Primrose II, April 2022 closing.

Last edited by gkaur; 2021-04-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 2021-04-06, 10:19 AM

In the past, Mattamy always organized a gathering when site construction just starts. So home buyers get to know their future neighbours and community planning etc, hope Mattamy could organize a virtual gathering this year