Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2021-03-04, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Default 1st year issue not resolved, now in year 4 - Going For It

Hello everyone!

Hope you remain well as well as your families.

I am going to the Tarion Ombudsman with a year 1 item, not resolved item.

I have been advised by my lawyer that if the year one item is still not resolved, it remains open - unless you have signed off, which I have not.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks for your help!
Old 2021-03-05, 06:52 AM
Regular User

I think your lawyer is wrong. Issues need to be resolved within a few months by the builder. Exterior issues get extra time because the winter months are not part of the time frames. If an issue is not resolved by the builder within the time required then the home owner has a short period of time to request a conciliation to get the issue resolved. At this time Tarion will either side with the home owner or with the builder. If a home owner. If the home owner just lets things go beyond this then Tarion considers it to be resolved.

The Tarion process is a game that many home owners do not play well and often lose. On the other hand builders know how the game is played and usually win.

If your issue is open then there should be no need to go through the ombudsperson.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2021-03-05 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2021-03-05, 10:25 AM
Regular User

Sounds like you needed to get Tarion involved within 30 days after the initial 120 day repair period.

https://www.tarion.com/blog/63616/ho...nd-what-expect
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2021-03-05, 01:24 PM
Regular User

Greetings!
Thanks so much folks for responding, this is such a great site.

The builder could not attempt a resolution as it involved both adjacent neighbours ie major grading issues on my lot and neighbors.
I have kept in touch with Tarion for 4 years until finally a plan was "approved" by the City and implemented in August 2020. Failed work by the builder. Still flooding on my lot.

So the builder did not attempt a solution because they were under the control of the City.

I am advising Tarion that the 20, 1 year, 2 year etc are still valid as there was no attempt to remedy for years and the attempt failed.

Will be very interesting to see what their response is.
There are many others in the subdivision with similar issues and they all have theirs on their forms!

Will report back!