Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Aurora

Aurora Minto, Kylemore, Aspen Ridge and Townwood

Old 2017-09-14, 10:46 AM

Default Countrywide Aurora Arbors - Cricket Home Comfort Water Heater Rental

Hello,

I just took possession of my home last week and it comes with a water heater from Cricket Home Comfort.
I haven't received the welcome package or signed anything with them yet but I'm looking for advice on whether or not I can get out of the rental program.

My confusion is that the contract I signed with Countrywide states this from Schedule X:
Quote:
The hot water heater and tank may not be included in the Purchase Price and shall remain chattel property. The purchaser acknowledges that the "hot water tank" is a lease and agrees to execute a Lease Agreement with the Vendor's designated supplier and agrees to take all necessary steps to assume immediately on closing charges for hydro, water, and other services, and the Vendor may recover any payments therefore from the purchaser.
Am I stuck to rent from Cricket?
Or can I remove the Cricket tank and install my own?

Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 2017-09-15, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
Hello,

I just took possession of my home last week and it comes with a water heater from Cricket Home Comfort.
I haven't received the welcome package or signed anything with them yet but I'm looking for advice on whether or not I can get out of the rental program.

My confusion is that the contract I signed with Countrywide states this from Schedule X:

Am I stuck to rent from Cricket?
Or can I remove the Cricket tank and install my own?

Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Technically yes, as I have spoken to my lawyer about it. She said the only time you can get out is during the negotiation period before signing the APS. There is a lot of details that is hard to explain here, but it is no longer true that you can call Enbridge and get out just like that. I think they word the APS in a clever way now that the consumer protection guideline does not apply.
Old 2017-09-18, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter8299 View Post
Technically yes, as I have spoken to my lawyer about it. She said the only time you can get out is during the negotiation period before signing the APS. There is a lot of details that is hard to explain here, but it is no longer true that you can call Enbridge and get out just like that. I think they word the APS in a clever way now that the consumer protection guideline does not apply.

Sucks to hear.

Guess I'll wait for the welcome package and see if I can negotiate something with them.
Old 2017-09-18, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Some people in the Ottawa area got out of it by simply not signing the contract with Cricket and telling them to come pick up the tank. I didn't think I could do that and instead bought my contract out, which was still far cheaper than paying their rates for 10 years.

If you do a search for hot water rental, I'm sure you'll find the various threads on the issue.
Old 2017-09-18, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Some people in the Ottawa area got out of it by simply not signing the contract with Cricket and telling them to come pick up the tank. I didn't think I could do that and instead bought my contract out, which was still far cheaper than paying their rates for 10 years.

If you do a search for hot water rental, I'm sure you'll find the various threads on the issue.
I've read those threads, from here and from other websites regarding WHT rental in general. However, I believe it also depends on the wording of your contract with the builder...and mine I believe basically screws me over! Just checked with my lawyer too, and they said I have to rent for now.

Well, the good news is, I'm not planning to live here for very long, so might just stay on the rental instead of buying it out.
Old 2017-09-20, 02:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
I've read those threads, from here and from other websites regarding WHT rental in general. However, I believe it also depends on the wording of your contract with the builder...and mine I believe basically screws me over! Just checked with my lawyer too, and they said I have to rent for now.

Well, the good news is, I'm not planning to live here for very long, so might just stay on the rental instead of buying it out.
Right on! If its a forever home, then it is meaningful to buy it out. But if you intend just a year or two, or even 3. The rental has to get assume by the next buyer anyways. A huge # of houses sold or for sale in the market has "rental HWT" to be assumed anyways. Even rentals, you have to assume it. So it doesn't really make sense to buy it out, unless you know you're going to get a good chunk of value back from doing so.

I kept my rental instead because I figured they will have to replace it if there is anything wrong with it. So I treat a portion of the rental like a replacement warranty coverage.
Old 2017-09-21, 02:48 PM
Regular User

If you buy it out, and the tank goes wrong, you will pay for the fixing. Rental is better option for now.