Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-12-08, 10:25 PM
Regular User

Exclamation Truss uplift?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with truss uplift. I understand that it's a natural phenomenon, and cannot be 'fixed' (although it can be controlled), but is it possible to have this issue in a newly built home that hasn't gone through a cold Ottawa winter yet? Context: we noticed cracking between ceiling and walls in the upstairs areas during our PDI. Initially, the builder's agent said it was truss uplift, but when I mentioned that there drywall was only done in July/August of this year, they said it's not possible; that it's a bad install. Now, they're saying it's truss uplift again. We're closing in 10 days so I would love to know what I can/cannot hold the builder to in before the move in.

Any info helps!
Old 2016-12-09, 09:40 AM
Regular User

They should have to fix the dry wall and repair any cracks before you move in. I don't think they can say it's a normal condition and not repair it before delivery.

That said, it will probably recur and if it is truss uplift then with the colder weather ahead it may get worse. It may also stabilize a bit over time. At our last place we had some issues with truss uplift in our dining room but it only occurred for the first couple of winters. After that we never noticed it again.

But don't allow them to use it as an excuse for not fixing it, at least cosmetically, before you take possession.
Old 2016-12-09, 01:32 PM
Regular User

It has not been cold enough this fall for truss uplift to happen. Google it for the science behind this if interested.

My only direct experience was a family members new build Lake house. It only happened once. I cut the tape corner then filled the crack with latex caulk. Never saw symptoms again.

In your case, the timing suggests some sort of workmanship problem. Is there any tape in the wall/ceiling corners? If it just split and created a crack maybe its some minor truss uplift. In our case, the tape was clearly pulled away from the compound in the corners.

Whatever the cause, they must fix this now. Put it on your 30 day (and everything else outstanding from the pdi). If they dont fix it within 120 days after the 30 day, request a conciliation.

Was it written on the pdi document? Doesnt really matter as long as it goes on the 30 day. Dont feel obligated to accept their request to leave it until year end. If it fails again, they can come back after year end.
Old 2016-12-09, 01:34 PM
Regular User

Actually it might matter if they claim the cause is low humidity in the house. So stay on top of that too especially if there is hardwood in the house.
Old 2016-12-09, 04:48 PM
Regular User

Truss uplift is not very common where I am west of the GTA. The last time I saw a bad case was in a 3 year old Mattamy built home in Camebridge where the builder neglected to install the master bathroom roof exhaust vent and just covered the hole for the vent with shingles. As well, the insulation in the attic was very short. The leaky master bathroom fan exhaust duct could not vent out the roof so it vented into the attic. This resulted in the bottom portion of the truss swelling with moisture and with no where to go it lifted up.

The trusses will lift the most in the middle of the length of the truss. From the attic hatch, determine which direction the trusses run. Once that is determined you should be able to know where to look at the ceilings to see if there is cracking at the top of the walls.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2016-12-09 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2016-12-11, 09:06 PM
Regular User

Thanks, all, for your help.

The issue is that truss uplift is not warrantable through Tarion. The builder "graciously" informed us that they would fix it anyway, but at year end (1 yr mark). Considering that this is happening in the master bedroom and walk in off the master, is rather noticeable.

Would something like this be grounds for pushing out closing date, until fixed?
Old 2016-12-11, 10:05 PM
Regular User

I would put it on my 30 day, but don't say anything about truss uplift. It might be that, it might be something else, but regardless, it's a defect in the paint/finishing and something they have to address.
Old 2016-12-11, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Tarion Rule 9.5 on page 172 of the Construction Performance Guidelines does cover truss uplift if the gap(s) are or exceed 4mm. If that was to happen then IMO the home owner should document the size of the gaps with a ruler and photos.

http://www.tarion.com/warrenty-prote...%20Jan%201.pdf
Old 2017-01-16, 08:46 PM
Regular User

So, the builder ended up patching up the cracks at seams so during our PDI there was nothing noticeable. Now we're coming up on our 30 day and sure enough, there's once again cracking. I've attached a few photos to show. The funny thing, this is only happening in one part of the house... Hallway seam near the master bedroom; in the master bedroom, and in the walk-in closet adjacent to the master. But not in the ensuite, that's also adjacent. Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170116_150159488.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	13737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170116_150143703.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	13738  
Old 2017-01-17, 07:04 AM
Regular User

You need to -

1) look in the attic and a) check for moisture issues, and b) confirm you were not seriously shorted on insulation.

2) Confirm that none of the vents on the roof ( or side gables ) for the bathroom fans are missing. Believe it or not, this is not unusual. Count the number of exhaust fans you have on the second floor and then go outside and look for them. 3 fans = 3 exterior exhaust vents.

Trusses that swell in length from moisture will warp up and cause these cracks at the ceiling. This is avoidable causes of truss uplift. Cracks in drywall that are 4mm or bigger are covered. Other cracks are typically repaired by builders as a courtesy. If the cracks at the ceiling are 4mm or bigger then be sure to take photos that clearly show that.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2017-01-18 at 07:52 AM.