Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-03-27, 07:05 PM
Regular User

Hello AirportSecurity,

The width of the stone mantle is 59 inches. This leaves about 7 inches at the edge between the tv and edge of the mantle.

We didn't measure the temperature under the tv with a thermometer.

And the viewing angle is not bad. We've spent a few hours watching without much neck strain. Sometimes we're laying on the couch watching.

Regards,

Chard2014
Old 2015-04-17, 11:07 PM

Default 30 Day Report

While I was reading RecOne's post on their 30-day report, I had to do a double-take as this is very similar to what we are experiencing. We also had over 70 items on our 30-day. Today I was even threatened that I signed off on an item so it was too bad. I reminded Minto that these workers were hired by them so they should be here to review the work of their contractors - I am not a tradesperson and at the end of the day, we will keep calling them back until it is done right. I echo your sentiment of being talked down to. We are hearing conflicting information from each Minto employee and contractor that enters the house, and half of them don't know what they are doing. I'm glad we paid for our own inspector prior to the 30-day. Some major issues that we would have never known about. Would highly recommend for the 1-year as well. That being said, has anyone looked into AC recently? For eavestroughs, who did you go with and were you happy with the service and workmanship? Guess fence will be next year - if there is a group discount, pm me. Overall still love the house and neighbourhood. Will be happy when construction and repairs are behind us.
Old 2015-04-18, 01:22 AM
Regular User

Hi Snowy Owl
I wholeheartedly agree with your feelings on this process. We have our professional 30 day coming up in a week and I'm looking forward to seeing what a professional inspector thinks of some of these outstanding issues.
As for AC we went with the group buy on this site offered by Axis. Guys that installed were great and overall we are happy with the cost and service. Look for the AC group buy thread from Sam at Axis

Old 2015-04-18, 10:52 PM
Regular User

It's sad to see that the after sales customer service has really dropped off with Minto. It's not MasterCare it's more like MasterBS. In the end if here is a real problem they will fix it, just have to stick to your guns and stay on them. Our final work day is scheduled for May so hope they can fix all the outstanding issues. It will end up being the 5th day I have to take off all for things that should have been done before we even moved in.

As for AC goes, after getting quotes from what seemed like every HVAC company in Ottawa we ended up going with DC Air. They are the company that Minto actually contracts to install furnace, AC and hot water.
Air conditioner direct from them ends up being more then half off what Minto was going to charge us. Install is booked for early May so can post again about workers and install quality then.

I think all the houses in the area a due to be done this summer so can't wait for all the construction crew to be gone.

Will be nice when the do our grass and driveways. Then the area will really feel like home.
Closing date: Dec, 2014
Old 2015-04-18, 10:55 PM
Regular User

For eves we ended up going with Modern.
Prices were all pretty close to each other as far as the different companies.
Modern had different styles to choose rom that swayed us to go with them.
Nice crew good install no complaints 25 year warranty.
Closing date: Dec, 2014
Old 2015-04-19, 07:30 PM
Regular User

For the eves, we were cautioned that if we had eves installed in the first year it could complicate our warranty on the roof should any leaks appear. Did anyone ever have any concerns with that?

Chard2014
Old 2015-04-19, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard2014 View Post
For the eves, we were cautioned that if we had eves installed in the first year it could complicate our warranty on the roof should any leaks appear. Did anyone ever have any concerns with that?

Chard2014
Scare tactics.
Old 2015-10-06, 09:52 PM

Hi there - I am new to this forum and just wanted to drop in and say hello. I am curious if anyone here has bought a Minto Avenue Town? If so, are you happy with your choice? Any recommendations, or things you would do differently if you had to start over?

I have lot 16C and closing in June 2016. Very excited and looking forward to making my selections at the Design Center!

Closing date: June 2016
Old 2015-12-15, 11:07 AM
Regular User

I agree with the posts above about mastercare not caring at all. I still have items from my 30 day inspection that aren't fixed. I have had many days where the workdays ended with "No Shows" and I have many issues in my house that will never be resolved and I've given up. Minto is not what they used to be, my last minto house was in much better shape then this one. I actually asked minto to change inspectors since my previous inspector would downplay every single issue we had. They are clearly understaffed and over worked. I don't know how many times a worker showed up for 30 minutes only to leave again. I have waited 8 hours for a guy to do 5 minutes of work. I was planning on buying a rental property from Minto but I'm done with these clowns.
Old 2015-12-16, 05:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newked View Post
I agree with the posts above about mastercare not caring at all. I still have items from my 30 day inspection that aren't fixed. I have had many days where the workdays ended with "No Shows" and I have many issues in my house that will never be resolved and I've given up. Minto is not what they used to be, my last minto house was in much better shape then this one. I actually asked minto to change inspectors since my previous inspector would downplay every single issue we had. They are clearly understaffed and over worked. I don't know how many times a worker showed up for 30 minutes only to leave again. I have waited 8 hours for a guy to do 5 minutes of work. I was planning on buying a rental property from Minto but I'm done with these clowns.
Newked - I definitely hear you and second your frustration. We are at 9 months since closing and are only just now seeing satisfaction on some of our big issues. We respected the process and even tried Tarion conciliation with very little satisfaction. The small items may never be addressed especially now that (encore) is opening. I've been told by multiple trades that they are closing houses in (encore) in worse condition than ours was - and I've been told ours shouldn't have closed in the condition it was. Sadly, I don't expect to see anyone from Minto for months to come... so our small items may have to wait for year end. All that said I can't compliment enough the couple guys that work for Minto and try to come and "clean up" the poor workmanship left by others. These guys are incredibly hardworking, professional and do everything they can to try to make the process easier. Sadly there are very few others trying to ensure the same experience. It's a sad joke that every time a trade comes to fix something they end up breaking something else...
Like you I've had multiple Minto homes - that will not happen again. Not after this experience.
So for any new buyers looking for tips - here's what I've learnt through this process:
- don't get the upgrades (except for the flex plans). We didn't want to deal with contractors after the fact and just wanted a ready made house with all our upgrades. We knew we were paying more but thought the price was worth saving the hassle. Almost all of our upgrades had issues and have required either re-install or repair. So much for not having construction after moving in.
- Save all your paperwork and get everything in writing. Even then after doing all your signing on every line and paid extra for upgrades that doesn't mean the paperwork will be honoured without a fight.
- Take time on your PDI - you will be rushed and told that its all ok - report on your 30 day or 24 hr. It's not - when it comes to big issues the trades always refer to the PDI paperwork and it's mentioned that you didn't report it then.
- Request the 30 day Tarion conciliation - you can cancel 24 hrs in advance if all is taken care of. Just know that a future date for repairs is satisfactory in Tarion's mind even though their paperwork says "completed repairs by conciliation date". You won't win and it's a frustrating step but it does jolt the builder into action to try to get things done by the inspection date.
- Don't give up - this one is hard because sometimes we just wanted to say, fine we'll fix it ourself. That's what they want. Keep on them and keep escalating higher and higher within management till you reach the top. All that fancy paperwork about building you your dream home isn't worth the paper it's printed on if the top execs won't stand behind it.

We are finally starting to feel like we live in a house and not a construction site... maybe one day I'll feel differently about this process but for now it's no more new houses...