Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-01-10, 08:44 PM

Question How is Minto in Avalon? (many Q's!)

I was there early in the fall, and I have noticed that Minto's prices have gone up a little bit since then.
Does a lot "upgrade" carry much of a premium? We are looking at the Signature Series, probably a Dundas or the Hathaway, but my husband *really* wants a corner.
Are there any models of these? We would like to see one of each before making up our minds. Will Minto allow you in to see one under construction??

We've been looking in the East end, it seems to be the biggest bang for your buck...

Anyone moved in recently? Overall, were there many items on your PDI or 30 day list? How was the service?

Thanks!
Old 2008-01-10, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Some of those questions might be best asked at the sales office like what current lot premiums they have. For example the house model we picked with Mattamy "had" to have a certain sized lot so that narrowed our choices in lot (locations). You are probably best to get the official word from them. Premiums could vary depending on location as well.

Sorry I can't help with youre other questions though but welcome to the forum!! Lots of good info to be found here.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Last edited by bmcnally; 2008-01-10 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2008-01-11, 08:22 AM
Regular User

Bob is right you're best information will come from the sales centre - they will be more than happy to give you this information.

That being said, we bought in Chapman Mills last May. We got a "pie" shaped lot that is twice as big at the rear for 3K. I seem to remember a corner lot being available at the time and the believe the premium around 5K - I think it may have been bigger as well but it was on the corner of two busy streets. There are a limited number of corners and not all of them will be the right size for the Hathaway/Dundas.

Good luck!
Old 2008-01-11, 09:23 AM
Regular User

D_M_G, I like the way you think! My wife and I bought a corner Dundas in Avalon. We are 268 Monaco Place, the corner of Monaco and (I think) Selene (maybe Selena?). We are closing mid-June. I've never thought about it because the house and lot were already bound when we bought so all we considered was the total price, but I guess since a Dundas is 282 500 and our purchase price is a little over 288k, our lot premium is 5 500.

On that note, I posted a thread similar to yours a few months ago - http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ghlight=avalon

There are a whole slew of foundations poured adjacent to us along Monaco, I think there are a few Hathaways in that stretch and there is one other Dundas that is nearing completion (but already had Birch Bordeaux cabinets that we hated designated so we passed). If you are looking for quick occupancy, check the Minto inventory (http://www.mintohomes.com/Ottawa/fin...Occupancy.asp). The Hathaway on Branthaven is a corner lot that backs onto a park as well, , however, the perpendicular street is one of the busier ones. That is why that model has a premium. I'm pretty sure there are other lots that may still be un-designated for models along Branthaven. They may not be corners but I think they would back onto the park. We considered a Dundas along that stretch for the park feature but we've now seen that the city has already erected its own fence beyond Minto buyer's property, thus eliminating access to the park.

From what I've been told and have seen, there will be no Dundas model and I don't think there will be a Hathaway either. There is a Chelsea, either a Bradley or a Fraser, a Westminster and 1 or 2 other Classics/Luxe models at Chapman Mills. There are also 3 or 4 models around the corner on Monaco from me that (I think) are Luxe models. Through the sales centre, Minto will walk through a near completed unit with you. Right now, I would think they would take people through the quick occupancy lot on Monaco (I got in a few weeks ago, the backdoor was unlocked).

We really liked the split living/dining rooms in the Dundas and the living room window and tall ceiling. The 2 bedroom sizes are a drawback but with our first baby on the way, we expect to be able to stay for at least 10 years. Also, I think the basement has pretty good development potential.

We dealt with Aamir in the Sales Centre and Julie in the design centre. Both have been quite helpful. You can go into the design centre any time and request upgrade prices.

We had previously purchased a Claridge semi in Spring Valley Trails that we bailed on when it became clear it would be a long time before our model was actually built. We have found Minto to be clearly superior, more organized and professional, flexible and have a lot more confidence in them. After watching nothing happen to our Claridge lot, or the whole site for that matter, for a year, Minto has built and framed our first and second floor in less than 2 months and as of last night what I suspect is our roof is in neat piles on our muddy lawn.

We have requested upgrade prices for lots of things. Some of the questions/responses lack clarity, apologies. I've denoted which ones we've gone for with an X but they are mostly structural as our design appointment is still to come.

Kitchen backsplash upgrade: red - 152.64 green - 216.64 black - 407.04 purple - 661.44

Minto modern 1 3/4' oak banisters and rail in Dark Oak Stain - 682.11

Ensuite ceramic on an angle - 286.2

Pots and pans drawer - 679.33

1st floor ceramic tiles - price to turn tiles on an angle or do a broken joint pattern on 45deg: powder & entry - 481.77

X Rough in for speakers in family room: 14 guage - 111.30

X 2 Stage furnace upgrade - 1510.5

HRV (no dedicated ducts) - 2226

9 ft ceilings in basement: add 12' to foundation - 4929

Upgrade 2nd floor sub-floor to 5/8' plywood - 640.77

X Upgrade 1st floor sub-floor to 5/8' plywood - ~650 but this ended up being (supposedly) free for reasons that I don't really understand (we were told they had already installed it when we did the upgrades, even though we were also told it wasn't standard and the lot just had a foundation).

Upgrade tiles around ensuite tub: red - 384.46 green - 591.48 black 887.22

X Bi-fold colonial door in foyer - 159

Sound insulation in main floor ceiling: Batt insulation - 2500

We also upgraded the powder room toilet sink and faucet for around $1000 I believe.

We are waiting for a price on some kitchen modifications - 1. an island in the centre, our designer doesn't seem to think this will fit, 2. an extension of the countertop of a 3 feet or so beside the backyard door.

Hope this helps and isn't too much.

Last edited by kobayashi; 2008-01-11 at 09:26 AM.