Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-08-02, 12:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I used the aerosol sealer at Home Depot (link below). I like it because you just spray it on and then wipe away the excess on the tile. I used it on all the tile in our current house and our previous one. I choose to re-seal the high traffic areas (backsplash, mudroom, tub) about once a year just to be safe...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000106573.html
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought this one but found it quite messy to use (it's hard to aim right at the grout lines and there is always a lot of spillage onto the tiles; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of product and it's also a pain to clean up).

Do you think it would work just as well if I sprayed out the contents of the can into a cup, then used a brush to apply the grout sealer directly into the grout lines only?
Old 2018-08-02, 07:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk9088 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I bought this one but found it quite messy to use (it's hard to aim right at the grout lines and there is always a lot of spillage onto the tiles; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of product and it's also a pain to clean up).

Do you think it would work just as well if I sprayed out the contents of the can into a cup, then used a brush to apply the grout sealer directly into the grout lines only?
Thats what I did because its the best application process. Direct contact with the grout. The highest concentration of sealer making contact with the grout.
Old 2018-08-02, 08:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:

I would imagine it could work the same way in a cup, but you will probably get a different amount of sealer-to-grout ratio since it was intended to be sprayed. At that point, you might want to just buy the paint-on sealer instead.

I picked the aerosol for the time and mess factor (not evidence based, just my assumption) - the painting seeming to be a much more laborious process. And I worried that the painted on product could be harder to remove from the tiles or be noticeable if I applied it inconsistently on the grout.

I just stood over the grout line, held the can about 6-8" away and did one big sweeping motion all the way across it with the can, then came back and hit the perpendicular lines (since all our tiles are staggered). Then quickly ran a slightly wet cloth over the tiles to grab the excess. It was killer on my back after doing several rooms but, otherwise, I do think it went much faster than if I had painted it on. I have also chosen to reapply it in our high traffic areas one year later.
Old 2018-08-02, 11:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Thats what I did because its the best application process. Direct contact with the grout. The highest concentration of sealer making contact with the grout.
Thanks! I think I will try this then. I was worried because I wasn't sure if the actual "spraying" action has any effect on the grout sealing (e.g. if the higher pressure from spraying it on helps it work better?). It also "foams" a lot after being sprayed out so I'm not sure if this will affect the consistency of the product if I spray it into a cup first and then apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I would imagine it could work the same way in a cup, but you will probably get a different amount of sealer-to-grout ratio since it was intended to be sprayed. At that point, you might want to just buy the paint-on sealer instead.

I picked the aerosol for the time and mess factor (not evidence based, just my assumption) - the painting seeming to be a much more laborious process. And I worried that the painted on product could be harder to remove from the tiles or be noticeable if I applied it inconsistently on the grout.

I just stood over the grout line, held the can about 6-8" away and did one big sweeping motion all the way across it with the can, then came back and hit the perpendicular lines (since all our tiles are staggered). Then quickly ran a slightly wet cloth over the tiles to grab the excess. It was killer on my back after doing several rooms but, otherwise, I do think it went much faster than if I had painted it on. I have also chosen to reapply it in our high traffic areas one year later.
Thanks for the tips. I think next time I might buy a paint-on sealer if this experiment goes well, but since I already purchased the spray can I'd like to use it up first. Perhaps I am doing it wrong but there was so much excess on my tiles, I had trouble wiping it all off.

You may be right that the painting method is more laborious--I'll have to try both ways and see what I prefer. Actually on second thought instead of painting it on, I might try drawing it up in a syringe and "injecting" it into the grout lines (may be faster than painting?).

Could you clarify what you mean about a different amount of "sealer-to-grout" ratio? Is there a way of telling if I used enough sealer for the grout? I noticed my grout darkens from a medium grey to a dark grey immediately after applying the sealer, is that a good sign that I applied enough?
Old 2018-08-02, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks! I think I will try this then. I was worried because I wasn't sure if the actual "spraying" action has any effect on the grout sealing (e.g. if the higher pressure from spraying it on helps it work better?). It also "foams" a lot after being sprayed out so I'm not sure if this will affect the consistency of the product if I spray it into a cup first and then apply.
I would ditch the aerosol can and get the Dupont Stonetech Professional Heavy Duty Grout Sealer. It works wonders.

IMO, the heavy duty stuff is best for showers as there is a lot of oils from hair, body, shampoo and soap residue that comes in contact with the grout.
Old 2018-08-02, 05:31 PM
Regular User

I used this roller when I sealed my grout. It was a bit tricky around the bath tub walls but other than that, did the job.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...000180584.html
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2018-08-03, 11:07 AM
Regular User

^ Thanks, I may go buy the roller if my syringe method doesn't work. Does grout sealer need to be applied on the area with pressure? (In which case the roller and aerosol spray would be better?) Or is it enough to just apply it on top of the grout and let it sit there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
I would ditch the aerosol can and get the Dupont Stonetech Professional Heavy Duty Grout Sealer. It works wonders.

IMO, the heavy duty stuff is best for showers as there is a lot of oils from hair, body, shampoo and soap residue that comes in contact with the grout.
Where can you buy this? I just looked online and can't seem too find it (checked Home Depot, Rona, Lowes).

I am doing just regular bathroom/kitchen/foyer floor tiles and shower walls (it has an acrylic base, no shower floor tiles) so I'm not sure I need the heavy duty stuff? Or is the heavy duty one always recommended?

Last edited by jk9088; 2018-08-03 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2018-08-04, 10:56 AM
Regular User

I actually still have the roller bottle. I took a look at it and there is a small tip but I don't recall if the grout sealer drips out using gravity or you simply squeeze the bottle like an eye dropper bottle.

I also found the brand I used and I used Dupont as well but it doesn't say anything about being heavy duty so I'm not if it's the same as what electricsky used. The instructions recommends two coats and says that it's good for three to five years.

What you can do is try the syringe method in a smaller area. I think it might be a pain in a but as your hands will get tired and you may not apply the sealer evenly as you tire. Also the regular syringes you get at the pharmacy only hold 10 ml and you will be constantly refilling. You can buy larger ones online.

Moved In: April 10th 2010