Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-02-03, 01:12 PM

Default Bridlewood v. Riverside South

Good afternoon fellow homebuyers!

My boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first home. We're already in love with the Frisco II model by Urbandale. We both commute to the airport, so Riverside South makes the most sense as a community for us to buy in for our commutes, however I've found Bridlewood to be more "well established" and has more shops, restaurants, etc. nearby. I also notice how awful the traffic on Limebank is in the morning (traffic has to let me into my work's driveway, which is about 2-3 km from the intersection of Riverside and Hunt Club -- that's how backed up it is!). It seems that until the infamous bridge is built, Riverside South still seems isolated. The price difference between the home we were looking at in Bridlewood and the one we were looking at in Riverside South was about $40,000 for the base model (middle unit townhome). I'm thinking Bridlewood's proximity to the 417/416 and major roads might be better for buyers in the future as well. I see Riverside South slowly turning into a cluster****...

Can I get some opinions on each community? Good experiences/bad experiences? We have no kids and don't plan on any within the next 5-10 years (at which point, we'd upgrade to a single anyway).

Thanks!
Old 2012-02-03, 01:43 PM
Regular User

We have friends in Riverside South. They love it and are very excited about the bridge to Barrhaven opening up - to give them access to many wonderful shops and amenities.

Given you work at the airport, I would go there. I prefer short commutes.
Old 2012-02-03, 01:54 PM
Regular User

if you go in after 6:45 you won't like the q'way from kanata to Bronson
Old 2012-02-03, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Have you ever been on the 417 going east @ 7:30am? Talk about a clusterf***. Seriously go try it. I drive Limebank through Hunt Club every morning at 7am, its about a 5-10 min slow down because of Hunt Club.
Old 2012-02-03, 02:16 PM
Regular User

The westbound return trip is no picnic either. And on hockey game nights pack a lunch for the trip.
Old 2012-02-03, 02:24 PM
Regular User

I will start by noting that I currently live in RSS so I may be biased but we love it!

We do leave to go to work at 6:55 and seem to miss the major slow downs around hunt club. Also, all of the major commuter roads are 2 lanes (Earl Armstrong, Limebank, Spratt, etc) so traffic is diminished.

In terms of community, when we did our research we found that on average homes in RSS and Barrhaven had a much higher price/ demand than homes in Kanata and Orleans which were typically 20K less. I think that reflects the demand to live in a well planned community like RSS.

RSS has a major grocery store, gas station, etc etc and what RSS lacks, you can certainly find in Barrhaven.

I agree with posts above, try driving from Kanata to the airport in the morning at 7am...the 2minute slow downs around Hunt Club fail in comparison to the 30-40 minute commute you would have...I wouldn't even attempt the highway as the airport is atleast 15 mins once you get off.

If you are not keen on RSS then you may want to broaden your builder and consider Stonebridge or Barrhaven (although Barrhaven is getting so crowded lately IMO).

Good luck!
Old 2012-02-03, 02:45 PM
Regular User

We recently sold our Frisco II in Riverside South. We loved the area, but to get into a single was out of our budget and the builds were about a year and a half away.

RS is a nicer community, closer to downtown than Kanata. The choice that you will have once the bridge opens up will be very nice. We found we were going to Manotick quite often for Pizza, Beer Store, LCBO, Home Hardware, etc.. We looked at Bridlewood also, one thing that I noticed was how much of a pain it was to drive down Stonehaven during peak hours. If theres a bus in front of you, then you may as well be on it since the traffic is unable to pass the bus. On Spratt (4 lanes, and 60km/h) you will never have this issue.

We are now in Stittsville, and we love it! Mostly because we have family closer to us in Carleton Place and Kanata.

If you have any questions about the Frisco, feel free to send me a PM. We felt it was the best value when we bought back in 2006. Urbandale is a great builder, we had no issues.
Old 2012-02-03, 03:34 PM
Regular User

We currently live in Bridlewood and have Frisco II that will be built in Bridlewood in October. I commute to merivale, so I take huntclub every morning, its a 30 minute drive just to Merivale alone, if you leave around 7:15, the earlier before that the less traffic you will have. Hunt Club is terrible but then again so is Merivale

That being said Bridlewood has good access to the 416 ergo the 417 so easy to get downtown, the Kanata centrum pretty much has everything you need and lastly Bridlewood is so close to the green belt, we are really into the outdoors so we love it.
Old 2012-02-03, 04:04 PM
Regular User

I would pick RSS or Barrhaven. The bridge will make a big different in term of traffic management (RSS will see more traffic after the bridge built).

RSS will also have many more shops in the future -> similar scale to Barrhaven South.

Cambrian will have direct access to 416 in the future as well. I have no idea when though.
Old 2012-02-03, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Just putting out some other considerations, but maybe you could try looking at it in other terms such as where you want to live, walk around the community, can you see yourself living there? What sort of things do you like to do, do you want coffee shops, restaurants or are you okay having to drive out to find them? RSS is full with families, lots and lots of kids, so yes, it is closer to work but does it fit your lifestyle? Rather than base it on commute alone, take the while picture into consideration, if you feel at home and love where you live then that extra 15 mintues at the end of the day won't matter. But if where you live annoys you, it does not matter that you are only driving ten minutes, know what I mean? I was once a commuter and yes the drive sucked but it was worth it once I got home and on weekends, eventually I found a job closer to where I live and I am so happy now that I did not buy a house near downtown only for the purpose of the short commute.

Also what works better financially is good to look at, is 40K easily absorbed? will it dampen your budget for other things? these are all things to consider. If both of you will always work at the airport then maybe that is a bit different but if you see a move down the road sometime then maybe it is not that big a deal. My two cents, hope it helps.