Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-02-06, 10:56 AM

Default Anyone buying in Findlay Creek Phase 16? Reviews on Findlay creek?

Hello!

Findlay Creek phase 16 opened yesterday morning and by the time we went to the sales centre at 5:00pm, there were only two lots left!!!
Hubby and I put a hold on lot 93R.

anyone here buying a house close by?

We've been getting a lot of mixed reviews about Findlay Creek ie: price drop in the next year or so; quality of the soil; etc. We would love to hear your opinions FCers.

Thanks.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
Hello!

Findlay Creek phase 16 opened yesterday morning and by the time we went to the sales centre at 5:00pm, there were only two lots left!!!
Hubby and I put a hold on lot 93R.

anyone here buying a house close by?

We've been getting a lot of mixed reviews about Findlay Creek ie: price drop in the next year or so; quality of the soil; etc. We would love to hear your opinions FCers.

Thanks.
Where is Phase 16? Are they the townhomes near Albion?

We lived in Findlay Creek for two years, and it's a nice neighbourhood. There are some amenites now, which make it a lot easier to get places. Not sure what issues you heard about the soil, but Findlay Creek (like much of Ottawa) is built on swampier land, but most of the Hunt Club area was built on similar land. It's been 30+ years for some of those homes, and there aren't any issues.

If you're very close to Albion, there may be a bit of residual road noise from trucks and what not heading up and down Albion, but it isn't too ridiculous.

We really liked the community, and for the most part it is super quiet and nice. Like any other new suburb community, it does take a bit of time to get downtown or to other parts of the city.

The one real downside of Findlay Creek is the lack of an elementary school. From what I've been reading, it also doesn't seem like it's coming any time soon, which is a huge bummer, especially for people who have young children now. The kids will probably be in middle school before a school is opened up.

As for prices, I have definitely seen that the prices have flattened out and any price increases with the builders are smaller than before. Additional, resale homes are lingering on the market for longer. That said, I am not so sure about a price decrease...

Old 2013-02-06, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Which street? Some streets have to much traffic...kelly farm...white alder...for example. People speed down these streets like its a race track. So if your on a side street your fine.

I've been in FC for 7 years and love it. The soil is fine, for every report that says its not the city releases one saying it is. Then again I don't plan on having a veggie garden so its not issue for me Neither of my previous homes here had any settling issues.

Some people complain that there is not enough to do, no schools, no community centre etc... if you have little ones this forces you to go to the park (which there are plenty of) and meet your neighbours! Which is fine with me.

Old 2013-02-06, 11:19 AM
Regular User

as for the noise...I lived on the corner of Bank and Findlay Creek for 5 years and traffic noise wasnt a issue but we had A/C.

My new place is on the corner of Albion and Findlay Creek and I don't expect noise to be an issue either as A/C is a must in my place!

Looks like youre look at a Tartan lot. They are a great builder! Prices are a little flat but that across Ottawa not only FC. When you look at the prices of the resales some are much higher (all most 400K) for a semi...thats hard to sollow based on the current market conditions. You can line your house with gold but the price still has to be resonable as not everyone likes the same gold. We sold our home last year in about a week but we price it reasonablity. The semi's and town's that are priced appropriately are selling just not in a week anymore. You should only be concerned about this if you plan on selling within the next 5 years.

Old 2013-02-06, 12:17 PM
Regular User

FC is great. no worries at all. these soil problems are a mystery, other than it's a lot of clay which is not great for growing anything. we've been here 6.5 years and love it. If you have a family it's a great place to live. The downside is the lack of school but the new shopping area has been great to have close by
Old 2013-02-06, 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

The lot we reserved is on Manorwood cres and Willowmere so very close to Albion. We are going with the Magnolia semi fromTartan.

I lived in the south end all my life and we currently own a house in Deerfield village just few minutes away from FC so distance is not really an issue for us, we are used to it. As for school, we have a 2 year old and another one on the way but I mean we can live with that there are other good schools nearby.

We decided to move to FC for few reasons but mainly to build a better equity. It seemed that the prices in FC were going up so fast compared to Deerfield village but now we are not so sure anymore. *Confused*
Old 2013-02-06, 03:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

The lot we reserved is on Manorwood cres and Willowmere so very close to Albion. We are going with the Magnolia semi fromTartan.

I lived in the south end all my life and we currently own a house in Deerfield village just few minutes away from FC so distance is not really an issue for us, we are used to it. As for school, we have a 2 year old and another one on the way but I mean we can live with that there are other good schools nearby.

We decided to move to FC for few reasons but mainly to build a better equity. It seemed that the prices in FC were going up so fast compared to Deerfield village but now we are not so sure anymore. *Confused*
We also lived in Deerfield Village before we moved to Findlay Creek as well.

Part of the reason why the prices in FC were going up faster compared to Deerfield was because the builders would up the price of the new homes each time a new phase was released, in some ways artifically propping up the 'value' of the homes, whereas there are no brand new homes in Deerfield now.

I have definitely noticed that the builder price increases have slowed down over the last 12-18 months. For a while, each new release, the single homes would go up $10,000 - 15,000, whereas increase now are $3000-5000.

Lastly, IMHO, it probably isn't a bad time to get out of Deerfield Village anyways. When we lived there, we really liked how it was a nice suburb within the greenbelt, with a lot of greenery around. Valecraft owns the land on the other side of the park where they've since removed a bunch of trees. The plan, I believe, is to build a bunch of stacked towns/condos there. There isn't going to be any new amenities, yet hundreds of new households...

Old 2013-02-06, 04:04 PM

This is another reason why we decided to move out of DV and to be honest I don't know why we waited this long!

We have a week to make THE decision but I have a feeling it will happen
Old 2013-02-07, 06:07 PM

Our family purchased a Tartan semi in FC phase 16 last year Dec . The builder releases lots slowly but I heard there were actually lining up. We were lucky to get the lot that we desired.

From the current siteplan the latest one was lot88; their site update must be slow.

The environment around FC is pretty good. We are not worried about school or community center..yet. I am sure they will be there in 2-3years.

Looking forward to meeting more neighbors through the thread.