Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-10-06, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Hi JaysWS2015! Both homes are excellent choices, we debated between the Kenson and the Elmhurst as well. We ultimately chose the Elmhurst, ours is under construction in Riverside South. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss anything about the model.

We contacted the builder and they allowed us inside one that was under construction. We were able to get a feel for the space and see the spectacular family room ceiling. After that tour we knew the Elmhurst was the model for us.

I have to say our experience with HN has been amazing! No complaints at all during this entire process. They continue to impress us.
Old 2015-11-01, 11:28 PM

Default New Kenson owner

We have just signed on for a Kenson, and have read through the 16 pages of posts here! Any other suggestions through the process would be appreciated!

Quick question, any suggestions on window coverings? Also landscape companies?

Also, I would love a bit of brick on the side of the house that the den is on. Has anyone asked for a price for that?

Cheers

Last edited by songbird; 2015-11-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 2015-11-05, 11:53 PM
Regular User

Hi,

Re Brick: I know it comes with automatically if you're on a corner lot as is the case of many homes that are on corners that have been built. (There's a Winfield, Rockaway and a beautiful Kenson that are on corner lots in Bridlewood). It does not come with larger lots (buying a 50'/44' house on a 60' lot will not entitle you to a side brick façade automatically).

Blinds: You can ask at the sales' centre, they can give you the phone number of the person who did their blinds.
Old 2015-11-10, 01:56 PM
Regular User

Congratulations on purchasing your Kenson songbird! Are you building in Bridlewood or Riverside South?

My suggestions would be to start looking for your appliances right away and spend time at the supplier showrooms to get a good sense of what you want. We went to Deslaurier and Euro tile so many times!! The trip to the hardwood supplier in Orleans was well worth it too.

As for the brick - are you getting a corner lot? I'm not sure you'd see it much otherwise and I'm sure it's a pricey upgrade.

I'm in denial about window coverings lol. We move in 2.5 months and we haven't started looking into it. We'll get the bedroom and ensuite windows done immediately and wait for everything else. I want to get a feel for lighting and such before committing to anything.

I see most everyone in Bridlewood has done something to glass on the front door for privacy. Are these DIY films or are there professionals to call for this kind of thing?
Old 2015-11-10, 08:05 PM

@sestafanos.
Re: Brick. Unfortunately, we did not buy a corner lot. When we start our meetings with the "building manager" (can't remember his title), I will have to ask him for a price. I would like a bit of brick on the den-side of the house, as that is the first view of our house that one will see coming around the corner. As-is, the siding starts immediately where the wrap-around den window ends. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

@CobaltBlue.
Thanks! We bought in Bridlewood and close next October. Seems way too long away. I'm envious you are moving in soon.
Re: privacy glass. I think that some houses have added the film, and others had frosted doors installed, though I'm not a hundred percent on this.

Thank you both for your suggestions!
Old 2015-11-10, 10:21 PM
Regular User

Songbird look out 50' lot? If so I can see why you'd be wanting to do the brick. Sometimes things like these are done automatically as part of a lot premium because we got a brick skirt to the bottom of our back basement windows and this I've seen done on several 60'/corner lots around us even though they're not marketed as "look out" or anything. But good luck.
Old 2015-11-12, 08:28 PM

Yes, we are on a 50' lookout. I really, really hope that you're right!

I drove around the neighbourhood after dark today, and noticed the two Kensons on lots 152 and 154 have pot lights on their soffits. It looks fantastic. I thought that I wrote down pricing for this, but I can't seem to locate it. Anyone know what it is off-hand?
Old 2015-11-13, 02:42 PM
Regular User

I think it's $200 each.
Old 2015-12-07, 01:58 PM
Regular User

One more suggestion for you songbird. Assuming you're installing carpet, arrange for a meeting with their supplier (Athens Rugs) and visit the showroom. Our selection was unexpectedly unavailable so we had to go to the showroom to select something new this weekend. I wish we'd gone there in the first place, not sure why we didn't, there's such a large selection!! I love the new one we selected.

Last edited by CobaltBlue; 2015-12-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2015-12-07, 05:08 PM

@CobaltBlue, thank you, I will definitely do that! It's such a fun process, albeit full of so many little decisions. It would be so fun to see photos of the interiors of all completed hn homes!