Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-03-06, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Totally agree from my experience as well. Some of the things we had removed, such as the closet rods since we want to do built ins, gave us a refund of more than I would have expected. Some stuff cost us nothing to do which was great and some we paid more than I was hoping but for the most but these were minimal and still reasonable. The sticker shock came more on our end by not wanting to do without and regret it later. Before we bought i was hoping we'd be closer to 35k in upgrades but that budget went out the window...
Old 2017-03-26, 09:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caehlan View Post
The standard design is a step above every other mass builder out there, however every single model is showing upgrades even the "stock" sales centres (accent paint colours) & brighton townhome (hardwood & accent paint).

The common upgrades seem to be:
Replacing door knobs with handles
Hardwood species/colour/width
Hardwood in the upstairs halls
Master shower door
Painted kitchen cabinets
Quartz kitchen counters (from the caesarstone classico series)
A full bank of pots & pan drawers
A water line for the fridge
A gas line or extra electrical connection to handle cooktop/oven
Extra light sources in the master bedroom
Widening drawer banks in bathrooms
Tile in key areas (e.g. foyer / powder room)
Accent paint colours

None of them are necessary by any means. If you want them though you won't save yourself any money by doing them afterwards (aside from the fridge water line). Some are a lot more expensive to do afterwards (e.g. hardwood, painted cabinets, adding/widening drawers).

It will be interesting to see if they add anything new to the standards this year, last year seemed to be LEDs in every light fixture.
Drawer bank in the kitchen was standard from day one. There is a single drawer bank and microwave cabinet. Of course we all opted for more/wider drawers and so on.

The fireplace fan also became standard at some point but was not heavily advertised when it did.
Old 2017-04-01, 08:23 AM
Regular User

Driving through the neighbourhood yesterday, I notice a lot of discolouration on the brick of many HN homes (almost looks like effervescence from poor water drainage) but not on the Urbandale homes. Has anyone raised this to HN yet?
Old 2017-04-08, 10:15 AM
Regular User

We finished our structural upgrades and will sign off today. I was super pleased with how painless the process was, and how it all turned out. We widened the garage a few feet, added a walk in closet at the entry and a closet to the den, made the powder a 3 pc bathroom with a big shower, added an ensuite and walk in closet to the 4th bedroom to take advantage of the extra space we gained there from the garage widening.

Now, it's time to agonize over the kitchen and ensuite decisions.
Old 2017-04-17, 10:23 PM
Regular User

Wow! Those are some interesting changes on a Kenson! I'm actually interested to see what that looks like
Old 2017-04-18, 02:55 PM

Hi Eveyone - we are getting very close to our closing date (hooray! )

Here is sneak a peek of our almost done kitchen. we are very happy with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenson Kitchen.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	13860  
Old 2017-04-18, 08:36 PM
Regular User

We have our first design appointment Monday. Any tips to prepare?
Old 2017-04-20, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caehlan View Post
Spectacular! The walnut cabinetry and dark floor is a surprising but beautiful combination. Love the backsplash tile and the fact it goes up to the bulkhead. Love the openness with the floating shelves.. such a great way to handle the tricky corner in a kitchen. Did you add a prep sink to the island or move the main sink over?
Thanks! we were very very worried on how it would look when finished. we got the idea somehow from Urbandale model home in Riverside South, but of course fitted in to our budget

We moved sink to the very left side of the island and prep are is now under Kitchen window. I'm posting these two to give an idea to anyone who is interested to move and upgrade sink
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenson Kitchen 2.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	13863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenson Kitchen 3.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	13864  
Old 2017-04-20, 12:21 PM

Kenson Owner Folks - during our pre-PDI visit, I noticed the toilet in Powder room is not located in the middle of the area, instead it is closer to the door. I'm sure it won't look very nice when the door is closed, but it is helpful when someone wants to walk in, specially w/o pocket door
So, wondering if it is by design or it wasn't built properly (I will ask office too). Anyone has noticed same thing?
Old 2017-04-21, 12:00 PM
Regular User

@sestafanos i could share a screenshot of the plan to show you the change but I can't figure out how to add pics without uploading them somewhere else first..

@caehlan good tips. We have been to deslauriers already but not to euro tile - maybe this weekend, but doubtful. We're pretty sure we have the kitchen selections mostly nailed down (aside from the backsplash), mostly there on the ensuite, but the other three bathrooms are a big question mark to me. We also cannot decide between Barrel or Stone floor so hopefully some design advice there will lead us in the right direction