Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-12-29, 10:31 PM
Regular User

Default First time homebuyer

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a townhouse within the next month or so (so I can move in in the summer - pref. July) and have started looking at some builders already. I need a very specific floorplan so it has limited my choices quite a bit ... and is further limited by location.

Basically I need the kitchen to be seperated from the living room and living room to be seperated from the dining room (it's a lifestyle thing). An example of this is the Greenwich/5th Avenue from Minto or the Stirling III from Claridge. It's hard to find this since open concept is the current thing.

I am trying to decide on a lot of different things, such as the obvious: need a respectable builder, price & costs, upgrades, what's included, what's not, etc.

I am so confused to the point where I'm looking at getting a realtor to do the work for me in narrowing it down. I'm wondering is this the best route? Do I have anything to gain/lose taking this route?

How do I decide what builder to go with? There are always mixed reviews about these things. There is always some people who had the best experience and others who had the worst. Some base prices are high because a lot of great stuff is included. Some are low because you have to upgrade to the nice stuff. I know I want this but don't want to make the wrong decision.
Old 2010-12-29, 10:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Girl_Excited View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a townhouse within the next month or so (so I can move in in the summer - pref. July) and have started looking at some builders already. I need a very specific floorplan so it has limited my choices quite a bit ... and is further limited by location.

Basically I need the kitchen to be seperated from the living room and living room to be seperated from the dining room (it's a lifestyle thing). An example of this is the Greenwich/5th Avenue from Minto or the Stirling III from Claridge. It's hard to find this since open concept is the current thing.

I am trying to decide on a lot of different things, such as the obvious: need a respectable builder, price & costs, upgrades, what's included, what's not, etc.

I am so confused to the point where I'm looking at getting a realtor to do the work for me in narrowing it down. I'm wondering is this the best route? Do I have anything to gain/lose taking this route?

How do I decide what builder to go with? There are always mixed reviews about these things. There is always some people who had the best experience and others who had the worst. Some base prices are high because a lot of great stuff is included. Some are low because you have to upgrade to the nice stuff. I know I want this but don't want to make the wrong decision.
1. Location, Location, is your best start cause it will have in influence on the builder,

2. choice of the builder should be based on your budget and how much you're willing to spend on upgrades, I personally like to pay for upgrades cash vs rolling it in the mortgage,

3. Builders reputation need to be taking into consideration, you can verify the number of complaint against a specific builder on the Tarion website,

I don't believe that you need to include a realtor in this process. Based on what you said you seem to narrow it down to 2 builders, if that the case, I would take Minto before Claridge based research I did before I purchased.

Old 2010-12-29, 10:46 PM
Regular User

You'll find lots of help here!
What area of town are you looking to buy in?
At first glance, Tartan's Blue Spruce Semi-Detached is 1700sq ft and is around $318k, includes finished basement. They are available in Fraser Fields (Barrhaven) and Findlay Creek.
When I looked up the Minto Greenwich, the main floor is essentially the same.
Any other info that you can tell us to help narrow the search for you? Also, at this point you may need to consider a quick occupancy home, if you want to move by July.
Good luck!

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2010-12-29 at 10:49 PM.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Wow thanks for the quick replies.

Cosmo girl - Right now I'm interested in the Navan area... or south Ottawa, but not too far south and not south on the west side.

Riverbend - those are the only 2 builders I have seen with the floor plan I want.. oh wait and Braebury, but I've read some pretty nasty things about them...

Price is definitely a factor since I'll be buying based on my income alone, so I can't really go over 310k... which is also including upgrades, lol. I guess this narrows it down quite a bit.

Do you think I could get my home by july if I buy it in January? i would hate to get a quick occupancy because I have a pretty specific list of things i want

I appreciate your help
Old 2010-12-29, 11:16 PM
Regular User

Everyone will have their own opinions, but I'd buy a Minto before Claridge (we looked at both back in 2004 for our first house, but I'm sure things have changed).
The Greenwich seems like a good plan with a huge master bedroom!
Have you contacted them to see the earliest available closing dates?
Old 2010-12-29, 11:25 PM
Regular User

Yeah, the greenwich kind of has what I need even though the kitchen is a bit small...

But yes I did go to the Avalon location. Honestly, I think they get the impression that I'm not a serious buyer so I was pretty much ignored so I'm a bit peeved at the moment. I was looking at Avalon at the time and they said July was okay but then I changed my mind and prefer Navan (trails edge) now, its more convenient for me. So I don't know about that location.... I'm going to swing by on Sunday to see.

Is Claridge a lot more expensive than Minto? Does Minto have good reviews? I'm looking at the tarion website and am seeing a bunch of 0's everywhere.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:32 PM
Regular User

In Findlay Creek, the Foxcroft Mid is similar at $290k, but may be too far South for you?
I really like Tamarack homes (personal pref) and they are Energy Star.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:42 PM
Regular User

Sales offices usually get more foot traffic on the weekends and you may not be able to get a hold of a sales person. I'd go after hours, if you can.

If you're young or young looking, they will ignore you.....I know.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-12-30, 01:36 AM
Regular User

Ours is going up for sale this weekend!!

(in Findlay Creek)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basswood floorplan.jpg (13.1 KB, 771 views)

Old 2010-12-30, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
In Findlay Creek, the Foxcroft Mid is similar at $290k, but may be too far South for you?
I really like Tamarack homes (personal pref) and they are Energy Star.
hmmm, I might just take a look in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Sales offices usually get more foot traffic on the weekends and you may not be able to get a hold of a sales person. I'd go after hours, if you can.

If you're young or young looking, they will ignore you.....I know.
yaaa that's exactly what happened. Honestly, I was taken aback by the resistance at both Minto's sales office and design centre. As if younger people can't be serious home buyers

Evenings is hard, there is no one to go with me after work....