Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-12-18, 07:09 PM
Regular User

Default Fernhaven owners!!

Hi everyone,

We just purchased a Fernhaven model in the Fairwinds community closing in the Fall of 2008!

As first time home buyers this forum has been a wealth of information! I better prepared going into this process just hearing about all of your different experiences etc!

I'd love to know why people chose their specific models? They are all so nice it was hard to choose!

Are there any Fernhaven owners out there? Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with upgrades, prices from their design booklets or overall experiences moving into this house!

Thanks neighbours!
Old 2007-12-18, 11:34 PM
Regular User

Another new neighbour!! Welcome!!

From my signature you can see I can't help with your questions regarding the Fernhaven. Our son & his wife bought one though, closing in July 2008 so might have more to share with it as time goes on.

Where is your lot and when do you close?

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2007-12-19, 09:44 AM
Regular User

We close in November of next year (long wait ahead!). We are in Neighbourhood 3 on Rosehill Avenue. We are across from Poole Creek and very close to all of the paths.

Your son must be excited - it's nice that you will be in the same neighbourhood!
Old 2007-12-19, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Congrats on your purchase! It's going to be a fun year ahead for you.

We bought the Highwood, elevation A this past February and we close February 7th. I am SO excited. It's so close now but I am fearful we may be delayed a little because of the snowfalls etc. Fingers crossed!

We chose the Highwood mainly because if the layout. The Fernhaven is also very beautiful and you will have a fun time deciding on what to upgrade and when selecting your colours etc. Let us know if you have any questions. I'm sure some Fernhaven owners will gove you some information!

Good luck with everything!
Old 2007-12-19, 01:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernhaven2008 View Post
We close in November of next year (long wait ahead!). We are in Neighbourhood 3 on Rosehill Avenue. We are across from Poole Creek and very close to all of the paths.

Your son must be excited - it's nice that you will be in the same neighbourhood!
They are excited I think but trying not to show it. I hope they don't think we are too close to them.... lol They are in neighbourhood 4 on Vendevale.

We back onto Poole Creek and I think to get to our place we drive past yours.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-01-05, 11:28 PM
Regular User

Hey all,

Would anyone know the prices for the following kitchen upgrades in the fernhaven model:

- pantry cabinets option
- wine rack option (I've heard $1500)
- window/kitchen seat options

We really love the fernhaven model kitchen with all the bells and whistles, but thinking it might be quite a bit of money to spend.

Plus, does anyone own a fernhaven with a different kitchen colour scheme than the model? If you have pictures, please post! All we keep thinking of is the model home colour scheme when we get to the design centre! We thought of putting cabinets with a java/chocolate stain with a light counter top instead of using the model home colours.

Thanks!

Last edited by beatle; 2008-01-05 at 11:31 PM.
Old 2008-01-09, 08:25 AM
Regular User

Hi Guys,

We have the Fernhaven model, Elev A and we close April 2008! I have an original options catalogue so prices may have changed.

- pantry cabinets option - $2600 (this is for the double-door panty in the model to the left of the fridge). We went to Laurysen to price this and to order direct from them, it's only $1200 so more than double with the builder. We plan on purchasing direct and then installing before we move.

- wine rack option - we also inquired about this and it is not available unless you get the Fernhaven kitchen as it appears in the model. Cost for this is 15,698 and doesn't include the backsplash which is $1044 and the valence and switch which is $683.....OUCH!

- window/kitchen seat options - the window seat to the left of the pantry is only available in the above kitchen.....sorry!

As for coulours, we don't have a finished house yet so no pics but I can tell you what we chose.

Cabinets - Standard salem, stained Java
Countertop - rocky road
Floor - Angora tufo romano noce

Hope this helps!
M
Old 2008-01-09, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Thanks PAMEKAI!! You've been extremely helpful! This now gives us a better sense of what to budget for. Too bad the model home kitchen & all its options is so pricey...
Old 2008-01-10, 11:00 AM
Regular User

We also have a Fernhaven model which we moved into in November. We chose Java cabinets with a light countertop (the same as in the townhouse model home). We absolutely love it! Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 2008-01-10, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Thanks walktheline! If you have any pictures you would like to share, please post! I would love to see the end result. We're still trying to get the model home out of my head!!