Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2007-12-21, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Default Fernbrook Coronation 2

Wow, this looks like a great forum. Lots of good detail and commentary here. Anyways, this is my first post.

I'm considering buying a Fernbrook home in Coronation phase 3 (Rutherford/Bathurst). I'm looking at a 44' lot, but am surprised to see how many are still available(most!), what with the phase opening 11 months ago (apparently - can anyone confirm?). Should that be a concern? Does that mean everyone else has figured something out I haven't?

I'm looking at the Leeds, if is curious.

Also, there seem to be lots of comments about Fernbrook out on the net, mostly negative. That right there is concerning. Can anyone comment about that? Anyone live in a Fernbrook home up in the Coronation area, and feel strongly either way?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Last edited by Comso; 2007-12-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2007-12-21, 11:24 AM
Regular User

We bought from Primont Eagle Hills Dufferin and Major mac. Same builder. We looked at Coronation but found them to be small and over priced and did not like the layouts. . Otherwise Primont has been very good in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comso View Post
Wow, this looks like a great forum. Lots of good detail and commentary here. Anyways, this is my first post.

I'm considering buying a Fernbrook home in Coronation phase 2 (Rutherford/Bathurst). I'm looking at a 44' lot, but am surprised to see how many are still available(most!), what with the phase opening 11 months ago (apparently - can anyone confirm?). Should that be a concern? Does that mean everyone else has figured something out I haven't?

Also, there seem to be lots of comments about Fernbrook out on the net, mostly negative. That right there is concerning. Can anyone comment about that? Anyone live in a Fernbrook home up in the Coronation area, and feel strongly either way?

Old 2007-12-21, 04:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:

I'm considering buying a Fernbrook home in Coronation phase 2 (Rutherford/Bathurst). I'm looking at a 44' lot, but am surprised to see how many are still available(most!), what with the phase opening 11 months ago (apparently - can anyone confirm?). Should that be a concern? Does that mean everyone else has figured something out I haven't?

I can't speak for this site specifically but I can tell you what we've heard of Fernbrook.

We bought from Fernbrook in Eagle Hills. We both work in Real Estate and found that the word of mouth reputation from Fernbrook is actually pretty good. Where did you find negative comments about them on the web? (Only because I've been searching and I can't find anything on them one way or the other). I've only found this site and there hasn't been much Fernbook feedback.

From what we've heard word of mouth though, the reputation is good. My family has also lived in two homes that were previously constructed by a current partner of Fernbrook and they were good quality homes. Also, I don't think phase 2 opened 11 months ago, I think that is when the first phased opened up.

Be sure to compare what you are getting when house hunting-what are the other builders offering? how fast did they sell out the first phase? have the other builders in the area sold more? If so, why? Where are they located within the subdivision (closer to the new community centre seems to be the most desirable spot in that area)? You might want to check out their model home in Eagle Hills (just west of dufferin on major mac). The smaller model is an example of their standard construction/finishings (at least for Eagle Hills, I believe that Coronation has even better standard features).

I hope that helps
Old 2007-12-22, 04:07 PM
Regular User

I have also not heard anything bad about Fernbrook. I know that Fernbrook at Coronation is the most expensive of the builders in that area. However, from what I have seen they offer really nice standard features. Fernbrook in general builds a good quality home from what I have heard. I know the H & R and Minto homes are priced a little (check websites) but I am not sure why. It seems to be that the closer you are to the community centre the more expensive the home.
Old 2007-12-22, 05:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse dweller View Post
Also, I don't think phase 2 opened 11 months ago, I think that is when the first phased opened up.
I'd be surprised if they only started selling Phase I 11 months ago, as they're finished with it, and have sold every home (and built!). I was up there today, and confirmed that phase III opened in Jan/Feb of this year.

I originally was asking about Phase II, but actually mean phase III. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 2007-12-22, 10:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse dweller View Post
Where did you find negative comments about them on the web? (Only because I've been searching and I can't find anything on them one way or the other). I've only found this site and there hasn't been much Fernbook feedback.
I think I was putting too much stock in the www.rateyourbuilder.com website reviews. After I read through a bunch of builders, I realized that pretty much every one of the review for every builder was bad. Everyone complains that their house isn't perfect, and that it was late. Having bought a new home before, I am familiar with both of those things - neither of which you ever really get away from.

It looks like griping more than anything else, and the fact that if you have enough passion to go post, it usually comes from being upset.

I have also heard good things about Fernbrook, at least verbally from others.
Old 2007-12-23, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Cosmo,

I know that fernbrrok is also opening at Upper Thornhill Estates and Bathurst and Major Mac. Have you considered that area as well?
Old 2007-12-24, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetownsend74 View Post
I know that fernbrrok is also opening at Upper Thornhill Estates and Bathurst and Major Mac. Have you considered that area as well?
Yes, we also looked at both Countrywide and Grand Park up there. Nice homes - great value.

We'll take a look at what they have to offer (apparently the new fernbrook sales office is opening in the first couple of weeks of January) before we pull the trigger.
Old 2007-12-28, 03:15 PM

Default Rutherford & Dufferin

Hello,

We are planning to purchase a house from Fernbrook, one block east of Dufferin, just north of Rutherford. But across the street from us right now is a wooded area. I'm not sure what will go there. Has anybody have any info regarding that? Will there be more residential, or mostly commercial? Thanks!
Old 2008-01-15, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I'm considering buying a Fernbrook home in Coronation phase 3 (Rutherford/Bathurst). I'm looking at a 44' lot, but am surprised to see how many are still available(most!), what with the phase opening 11 months ago (apparently - can anyone confirm?). Should that be a concern? Does that mean everyone else has figured something out I haven't?

Here are the reasons:

1) despite what people think a recession is on hand. It's almost laughable how Canadians think we will avoind the USA recession because we are not linked to USA. LMFAO.

2) coronation is way OVER PRICED. Over priced by 40-50%. Did you see those 1,000,000 bungalows with 90 foot lot LMAO. SOmeone is going bankrupt. Poor saps who bought it.

3) the city played a trick on them. They thought that part of Vaughan will be renamed Thornhill or at least Richmond Hill. Worng. The council extended Maple to Bathurst and the only guys who got a break was Thornhill Woods guys who actually are in Thornhill (formerly Richmond Hill)