Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-07-06, 03:26 PM
Regular User

Default Amazon between Costco/416

Exciting news from a job standpoint, city brand/marketing and possible same-day delivery for Prime members!

Anyone else have thoughts/comments?
Old 2020-07-07, 08:04 AM
Regular User

I'm not excited about it. Amazon is a terrible employer and almost all the jobs will be minimum wage with few benefits. There will also be a lot more traffic in an area that already has a lot of traffic.

I was hoping for high tech employers in there.
Old 2020-07-07, 10:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I'm not excited about it. Amazon is a terrible employer and almost all the jobs will be minimum wage with few benefits. There will also be a lot more traffic in an area that already has a lot of traffic.

Exactly not a good news
Old 2020-07-07, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post

I understand what you're saying as the traffic concerns are very real. Unfortunately the City put the cart before the horse in planning the transpo infrastructure in BH.

Big picture though, this is positive news for Barrhaven. The area has struggled to attract major employers for many years now and this a major step that will create some momentum (regardless of whether you like Amazon's rep as an employer). Part of the problem is that all the traffic moves in the same direction currently….with so many commuting downtown to work each day, that also means people spending money there instead of here. It's very hard for retail, restaurant, other entertainment biz to thrive, let alone survive, when so much of the spending is done outside BH during business hours. It will have a huge ripple effect – hopefully a Federal Govt Dept, or yes a high tech firm sets up a corporate campus with some higher paying jobs as you say.

I don't think some people are seeing the forest through the trees here. Barrhaven has been the size of Kingston (a medium sized Canadian city) for some time now and there are still so many things missing. Just now getting BH's FIRST hotel (which speaks volumes to our bedroom community status/hurdle) , soon we will finally get a 2nd interchange to hwy 416. Maybe soon we will get a hospital, or some of the simpler things that any 6 figure pop. City has...maybe a bowling alley, a pool hall, a few more authentic dining options. The list goes on.

Interested to see what else will be in that development as it was announced to be 2.7 million sq ft just a few weeks ago. So AMAZON (0.5 million sq ft) is just a small portion....?
Old 2020-07-08, 08:48 AM
Regular User

Great news.Jobs for someone.
Old 2020-07-10, 06:00 AM
Regular User

I suggested to a client that they pick up a roll of green painters tape to easily identify issues during his PDI. A few days later he phoned me and I asked how it went. He said he was still waiting to receive his roll of tape from Amazon. I said whaaaaaaaaaat !!!!, just go buy the $3 dollar roll of tape at Home Hardware, Lowes, or Home Depot.

I guess some people depend on Amazon too much these days.
Old 2020-07-14, 05:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I understand what you're saying as the traffic concerns are very real. Unfortunately the City put the cart before the horse in planning the transpo infrastructure in BH.

Big picture though, this is positive news for Barrhaven. The area has struggled to attract major employers for many years now and this a major step that will create some momentum (regardless of whether you like Amazon's rep as an employer). Part of the problem is that all the traffic moves in the same direction currently….with so many commuting downtown to work each day, that also means people spending money there instead of here. It's very hard for retail, restaurant, other entertainment biz to thrive, let alone survive, when so much of the spending is done outside BH during business hours. It will have a huge ripple effect – hopefully a Federal Govt Dept, or yes a high tech firm sets up a corporate campus with some higher paying jobs as you say.

I don't think some people are seeing the forest through the trees here. Barrhaven has been the size of Kingston (a medium sized Canadian city) for some time now and there are still so many things missing. Just now getting BH's FIRST hotel (which speaks volumes to our bedroom community status/hurdle) , soon we will finally get a 2nd interchange to hwy 416. Maybe soon we will get a hospital, or some of the simpler things that any 6 figure pop. City has...maybe a bowling alley, a pool hall, a few more authentic dining options. The list goes on.

Interested to see what else will be in that development as it was announced to be 2.7 million sq ft just a few weeks ago. So AMAZON (0.5 million sq ft) is just a small portion....?
That's a very interesting take, as I've been reading only negative comments so far.. Thanks for shedding some light on how this can help Barrhaven in the long term.
Old 2020-07-15, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_dogs View Post
That's a very interesting take, as I've been reading only negative comments so far.. Thanks for shedding some light on how this can help Barrhaven in the long term.
Ya the multiplier effect is a very real concept. Impossible to count how many ways our area is positively effected by this type of employment/development. A lot of people tend to want to reject any and all “change” reflexively...without thinking about the big picture.

That said everyone is right to keep voicing traffic concerns.