Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-09-08, 10:50 AM
Regular User

Some follow right along with the grain. I'm starting to think it's the finish that is cracked, not the actual wood (not split). Ok I will only fix the one that really bother me. Thanks!
Old 2011-09-08, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Some follow right along with the grain. I'm starting to think it's the finish that is cracked, not the actual wood (not split). Ok I will only fix the one that really bother me. Thanks!
Post some close up pics of the cracked boards.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:09 PM

Default Hardwood Walnut or not

Didnt realize how little i knew about hardwood flooring until we decided to upgrade out flooring. Anywho, on to my quistion.

We really like the look of walnut flooring, in the pictures at least. We find the color variation ver attractive. My quistion is would walnut flooring be a wise choice for a houshold with four busy kids My gut tells me oak is the way to go. Any comments

Cheers
Allan
Old 2011-10-14, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Allan, we have them, and we love them for the same reason as you, the colour and variation.

Our kids are a bit older (10 and 7) so they know the rules about where they can play. We've been in our home six months and we have a few dings from dumb things like the broom dropping or a set of keys.

I'm sure Patrob is a better authority on this, but you may be able to get a similar look that is less soft than walnut. Hand-scraped is another option, but you have to like that look.
Old 2011-10-14, 02:47 PM
Regular User

I have a question about our new floors... we have a couple of little lines of sticky adhesive on our lovely dark-stained stairs from our move-in (I suspect from something that was laid down to protect the floors and stairs)

Would a product like goo-gone be a bad idea to use to get the sticky stuff off? Any other products that you'd suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-10-14, 04:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Didnt realize how little i knew about hardwood flooring until we decided to upgrade out flooring. Anywho, on to my quistion.

We really like the look of walnut flooring, in the pictures at least. We find the color variation ver attractive. My quistion is would walnut flooring be a wise choice for a houshold with four busy kids My gut tells me oak is the way to go. Any comments

Cheers
Allan
Where are you located?

Black Walnut is a beautiful wood but one of the softest species so yes it will damage faster than oak or maple. It's also one of the
most expensive species, so the final choice is really up to you. The other option that you can consider is Fumed Old Oak (from Vintage)
which still offers the colour variation similar to Black Walnut but the wood is much harder & less expensive.

Old 2011-10-14, 04:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Nuova View Post
I have a question about our new floors... we have a couple of little lines of sticky adhesive on our lovely dark-stained stairs from our move-in (I suspect from something that was laid down to protect the floors and stairs)

Would a product like goo-gone be a bad idea to use to get the sticky stuff off? Any other products that you'd suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Should be ok to use, try a small area first. Nail polish remover might work too
Old 2011-10-16, 10:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Should be ok to use, try a small area first. Nail polish remover might work too
Nail polish remover?? Really??? I would be way too afraid to try that; I once spilled some nail polish remover on my Mom's beautiful mahogany end-table and the stain bubbled and wiped right off within 5 seconds. The top was literally bare, and I had to go get it re-finished, it was awful!

I am not sure if they ever forgave me for that
Old 2011-10-16, 11:26 PM
Regular User

Casa - I had the same problem. The Builder left me some stuff to remove it - it worked well. Let me know if you want me to drop it by
Old 2011-10-17, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Nuova View Post
Nail polish remover?? Really??? I would be way too afraid to try that; I once spilled some nail polish remover on my Mom's beautiful mahogany end-table and the stain bubbled and wiped right off within 5 seconds. The top was literally bare, and I had to go get it re-finished, it was awful!

I am not sure if they ever forgave me for that
Yes really And the finish on a table is completely different than the hardwood floor finish! You just have to make sure you try a tiny spot somewhere in the corner to make sure there is no reaction. We have done this many times but it can also vary from one manufacturer to another as the finish quality can differ. I would just try the Goo-Gone/Off first.