Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-26, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
We were there with you guys yesterday... Small world with my wife knowing the two of you!! I totally agree with your comments about Harley, he's a great guy, and you can tell this is really weighing on him.

We're in the same boat, and I can't see us not doing it, we just have to see how much the railing is going to cost because we upgraded as well...

I really hope they catch up on time, but i would be surprised. You guys are way ahead of us, so I wouldn't be surprised if you guys made it close to your closing date, and we were 4 weeks later...

Anyways, glad to see that they are making things right even if it'll cost us a bit more $$. Only fair though I guess since that's what the cost was for the Devon. If we had paid the same as the Devon and had to shell out more money again, that would be a different story.
Very small world. I thought I recognized her! It's nice to know there will be some familiar faces in the neighbourhood!

If that railing cost comes back too high, I am going to be really upset. We are already paying more than those who bought the Devon and if that cost goes up exponentially, I will have a few things to say. I am sure there will be an added cost and I can swallow a few hundred but anything more than that and it won't be pretty.
Old 2010-08-26, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_ochef View Post
lol...my bad. It's 3 ft 7...give or take a few inches since the railing isn't up. It just seemed tight, especially with the reg. stairs. The perpendicular staircase w/ railing ruins the flow of an otherwise already tight entry. I THINK the curved stairs might alleviate some of that (whether by measurements or just perception), but it's tough just based on the plans. I'm going for it. It can't be worse.

Either way, I just wanted some feedback. I'm certainly not one for wasting space in an entryway - means more space in rest of the home!

OK so if you look at the floorplan carefully, when you put in the option for the curved stairs; it changes the way that the front door opens. Maybe there's a different perception of space if the door opens to the left...regardless of the stairs... on the other hand, if it opens to the right, maybe the idea is that it sort-of forces you to absorb the grandeur of the staircase.

PS I can't wait until next summer so we can have these discussions in person!
Old 2010-08-26, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Totally agree!! If the price is in line with what we would have paid if it was railing all along, then I'm okay with that, but if they come back with something ridiculous, then look out!! They have to remember that we were sold on it being the same as the Devon... There's no fault at all on our side. I have no problem paying for the cost of it, but they shouldn't be jacking it up when the mistake is on their end... No point getting the blood boiling yet when we haven't heard back, but it's a dissapointing expense either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamnShum View Post
Very small world. I thought I recognized her! It's nice to know there will be some familiar faces in the neighbourhood!

If that railing cost comes back too high, I am going to be really upset. We are already paying more than those who bought the Devon and if that cost goes up exponentially, I will have a few things to say. I am sure there will be an added cost and I can swallow a few hundred but anything more than that and it won't be pretty.
Old 2010-08-26, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_ochef View Post
Total lack of communication by the design team/office and too bad it falls on Harley.

Still, my overall impressions of Cardel is favorable. They seem to respond in good time and genuinely try to satisfy.
Communication is not a very strong suit from top to bottom. That is something you'll get used to.

Last edited by New Orleans; 2010-08-26 at 11:05 AM.
Old 2010-08-26, 11:06 AM
Regular User

You can choose the direction of door opening. So it's a non issue. I'm getting double doors which, when opening to the right, is closer to the wall (since there aren't any windows framing the door for the double doors) and maximizes the tight entry space.
Old 2010-08-26, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Re: Devonshire staircase - In agreement with all on this one! The sales staff at the model have been nothing short of fantastic and patient with us, but we were disappointed to have the staircase news dropped on us. We were pretty frustrated, but can appreciate that they must have been as well, as they are front line with the customer.

That said, the sales team obviously stepped up and escalated the issue on our behalf, resulting in us now having a viable, attractive option. This only goes to further credit the Cardel name. We are extremely impressed at how this has been resolved, and we now understand first hand why their reputation is so good.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonshire View Post
Re: Devonshire staircase - In agreement with all on this one! The sales staff at the model have been nothing short of fantastic and patient with us, but we were disappointed to have the staircase news dropped on us. We were pretty frustrated, but can appreciate that they must have been as well, as they are front line with the customer.

That said, the sales team obviously stepped up and escalated the issue on our behalf, resulting in us now having a viable, attractive option. This only goes to further credit the Cardel name. We are extremely impressed at how this has been resolved, and we now understand first hand why their reputation is so good.
Couldn't agree more!

What lot are you, Devonshire? When is your closing date?
Old 2010-08-27, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamnShum View Post
Couldn't agree more!

What lot are you, Devonshire? When is your closing date?
Hi KamnShum, we are on lot #2, closing May 19/10 ...just on the other side of Comfrey from you.
Old 2010-08-27, 06:54 PM
Regular User

Anyone have any thoughts to share regarding the fireplace fan. To do or not to do?

I think it's about $375 to have the fan installed, including wiring. There is also the option to just get the wiring done for now in case we want to add the fan later. This option is approx $150-180(?).

Assuming the fireplace will only be used for a few mths of the year, we weren't going to bother. Plus, we don't know how loud the fan will be.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Old 2010-08-27, 07:35 PM
Regular User

I was actually pretty surprised that the fan wasn't standard. I guess it depends on if you want to use the fireplace for heat. If you just like the fireplace in the background, don't bother, but if you actually want it to throw out some good heat, then it may be a good idea. As for the fan, you'll definitely know when it's on.

I'll probably get the fan, but I didn't know it was so expensive.