Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2006-10-12, 04:04 PM
Regular User

Question Moving Central Vac from Basement to Garage

I just finished my PDI with Beaverhall this morning. I had the builder move the Central Vac from my basement to my garage and because of this move, I no longer have a vacuum outlet in my basement anymore. The central vac outlets are only on my main floor and my upstairs. Is this normal? I find it strange that I have to use a handheld vacuum to clean my basement, especially when I have a central vac installed. Is it just something my builder does...and if so, should they be getting away with it, or is this typical of all builders. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 2006-10-12, 09:13 PM

Question I had the same question...

Hey Cindoll and Norino

My husband and I ask for the same to be done with our Central Vac, and I also realized that we are paying for an upgrade but we are getting 1 less outlet. Makes me think that asking for this upgrade was not worth it. I did ask a local central vac vendor and he could not answer if this was something all builders do but he did tell me that we can add an additional outlet in the basement during the installation of the central vac unit.

How was your PDI? are you happy with the overall result? Hoping you can provide some tips, or advise for those of us who have a PDI approaching.

Good luck with the move!
Old 2006-10-12, 10:22 PM
Regular User

We bought with Beaverhall, and I'm interested in the PDI as well. I also have the same issue with the Vac.
Old 2006-10-13, 11:31 AM
Regular User

The PDI went well. Lisa was the Beaverhall rep who we did the PDI with and she did not rush us in anyway. I was very happy with the craftsmanship of the house and found only minor issues (ie. electrical oulets that don't work and a leaky shower head.) There is a PDI checklist that is available on this website, that I found most helpful. If you follow the checklist, I don't think you will miss anything. I hope this helps.
Old 2006-10-13, 10:44 PM
Administrator

In any house there should be 1 inlet for every 25 foot radius in the house, including the basement. Why they wouldn't put one there I won't understand. If the pipes are exposed in the basement ceiling you can T off of it at a later date.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2006-10-16, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the info Greg. Is that documented anywhere so that I can run it by my builder.
Old 2006-10-16, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Documented? No.. Just a rule of thumb to be nice to the people who have to use it.

Hoses are usually about 30-34' long. Accommodate navigation around furniture and 25' is a good radius to use.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/