Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-10-15, 07:40 PM
Regular User

Default Tamarack buyers!

Tell me what upgrades you are getting. We've already made one mistake. Forgot to add a laundry tub to the basement for washing paint brushes and such. Even thought the foundation isn't poured and we haven't had our blue print review they say it's too late. Stupid rule but anyway to be sure we don't forget anything else we want to make a list. Please don't list anything structural I don't want to know if we forgot something else
Old 2009-10-16, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Ask them to place the laundry tub next to an existing soil stack. Finding a drain for the tub should be their only concern and if there's a soil stack in the future unfinished area of the basement (assuming you're planning on finishing it) then they should be able to place it next to that.

Just a thought.
Old 2009-10-16, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Ask them to place the laundry tub next to an existing soil stack. Finding a drain for the tub should be their only concern and if there's a soil stack in the future unfinished area of the basement (assuming you're planning on finishing it) then they should be able to place it next to that.

Just a thought.

Sorry do you mean after closing? or before closing? They won't do it before closing. I'm assuming any basement drain can be used to tie into if we want to do it after closing?

As for the rest of you Tamarack buyers don't reply all at once I guess what I'm looking for is a list of things easily forgotten. Is there anything on your list that you think *I'd better not forget*
Old 2009-10-16, 11:33 AM
Regular User

It doesn't come with one?

Get the 9' basement ceiling. It's much nicer.
Old 2009-10-16, 11:43 AM
Regular User

You should look up thris thread: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...d.php?p=107715

She is also a Tamarack buyer and basically asked the same question.

I put 65k into design centre upgrades.. so you don't want to hear my list. But my best advice at the moment is to take a few trips to the design center and make appointments with the plumbing people and the kitchen people, it's worth it to at least look at what they have to offer.
Old 2009-10-16, 01:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enarra View Post
You should look up thris thread: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...d.php?p=107715

She is also a Tamarack buyer and basically asked the same question.

I put 65k into design centre upgrades.. so you don't want to hear my list. But my best advice at the moment is to take a few trips to the design center and make appointments with the plumbing people and the kitchen people, it's worth it to at least look at what they have to offer.
Wow I didn't know you could make an apt with the plumbing people. Good to know!
Old 2009-10-16, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Consider options for your pantry door - I went with glass door and it makes a huge difference in the overall look. It does depend on your kitchen style of course.

The other easy thing to forget is that the builder's bathroom fixtures (towel rack, TP holder) are ceramic and cimented to the walls- dirty job when you want to replace with nice hardware. It is no cost to ask the builder to delete this from your interior. Same goes for mirrors if you want.

Fan in the fireplace is an upgrade and one we didn't know about

Last edited by Praline; 2009-10-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2009-10-16, 04:02 PM
Regular User

They give you a catalog of upgrades for your house at your first design appointment so basically go through the list and figure out what you would need. You can go in ahead of time and ask for the catalog, I've seen people do this.

They also give you a list of all their suppliers so that you can visit the showroom of the suppliers.

Plumbing is really marked up. I had picked out a $350 Kohler faucet and Tamarack marked it up to $510 so watch out for that.
Moved In: April 10th 2010