Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-11-10, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Default Crack on Window ledges, Pictures included

Hello folks, while cleaning my house today for a house-warming party later on, I noticed there is a crack on the window ledge towards the backyards.

Please see the attached pictures. The pics are not the highest quality but you can get some sort of an idea. The crack is about 1 foot long, is quite visible and is on the window ledge (or could be on a wall, i am not entirely sure)

I have not seen this before up to this point, neither did the Richcraft inspector for the PDI nor the inspector I hired on my own for the 30-days, else it would have been on the 30-day report.

I surmise this is something that happened very recently. There was a painter who stood on that ledge to paint something on the windows and a couple of electricians who *might* have stood on it to hook up the lighting fixture above the stairs but I mean this is a 4-month old house for crying out loud. I shudder to think what I will see 4 years from now.

The questions that I have for you guys at this point is

1. What do you think caused this ? Weather, house shifting, shoddy workmanship ? Is it something serious or just part of the new house ? I have read about small cracks on the basement floor but this is something else.

2. My 30-day period has passed, do I wait until the year end (which is next summer) to report this (as well as other issues which might arise between now and then) or do I simply call my builder to let them know and see if they can rectify this right away

Thank you for your feedback.

Old 2007-11-10, 04:45 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure what could have caused this but if it were me, I would talk to the builder. It can't hurt to ask them now. Worst case scenario, they'll tell you to wait for your 1yr inspection.
Old 2007-11-11, 04:56 AM
Regular User

It could be from the house starting to settle, there could also be a joint there that was painted over and when someone stood on it it caused the joint to flex and the paint to crack?.

Now that I have had my heat on for a little while (have 2 little ones) I am starting to notice more nailpops as the house is starting to expand and contract, I also have a ledge similar to yours going to the basement except mine is rounded and it is slightly cracked at the drywall joint. I spoke to my builder and he will have the drywall people in to repair.

Talk to your builder if after sales customer satisfacation is also there priority then they should not have a problem fixing a small thing like that for you. If they tell you to wait a year then you know what the priority actually is.
Old 2007-11-13, 03:55 PM
Regular User

Thanks folks for your feedback...

I touched base with the site service co-ordinator and she advised me to put this on the year-end report. While I would like the issue to be rectified right away, i realize that we have go *by the book* and that is the way things will be done. We have also found a couple of other issues and have made note so that we can advise the year-end inspector.

It also works out for me in terms of scheduling. I have taken many days off this year for the house.

The insulation guys came today to do their work in the attic. We have also booked another appointment 2 weeks from now for the trades to come in and finish off a couple of outstanding issues from the 30-day report. We should be good after that, at least until the year-end period!
Old 2007-11-13, 08:43 PM
Regular User

That's what my builder recommends, let the house settle over the winter and make a new list of any small things in the spring or for my 1yr.