Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2010-08-30, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Default gap between aluminum siding and brick

Hi all, I know i asked this before and said I'd post pictures, but I can't find my original post anymore. Anyways, there is a gab between the aluminum siding (ceiling) and the brick of my home. I'll put that on my one year list, but I just want to know how you'd expect them to fix this. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7773.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	6756   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7774.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	828.6 KB
ID:	6757   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7775.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	6758   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7776.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	6759  
Old 2010-08-30, 01:08 PM
Regular User

looks like they installed the soffit too high, and you can see some exposed structure. you could ask them to lower it if it's a porch roof, but not sure if they can do much with a regular roof overhang/soffit. even lowering it a half inch would cover that, but you'd want it lowered evenly all around.

i wouldn't ask them to caulk it as it would just hold moisture in the space above.
Old 2010-08-30, 01:43 PM
Regular User

yes it is a porch roof. what is a soffit? is there anything wrong with leaving it like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
looks like they installed the soffit too high, and you can see some exposed structure. you could ask them to lower it if it's a porch roof, but not sure if they can do much with a regular roof overhang/soffit. even lowering it a half inch would cover that, but you'd want it lowered evenly all around.

i wouldn't ask them to caulk it as it would just hold moisture in the space above.
Old 2010-08-30, 03:16 PM
Regular User

My soffit above my garage was crooked as well and they were able to fix it. So yeah put it on your one year.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-08-31, 11:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
what is a soffit? is there anything wrong with leaving it like that?
The soffit is the horizontal panels under the overhang of your roof and the ceiling of the porch. Is there anything wrong with it? Really it's just an aesthetic concern if you're standing there looking straight up. Trying to caulk the gap will likely look worse. The soffit could likely be lowered. It's quite a bit of work to dismantle it piece by piece and then put it up again. Maybe a piece of trim could be installed above or below to conceal the gap.
Old 2010-09-01, 09:25 AM
Regular User

i don't think lowering it will do much. there will still be a gap between the soffit and the bricks, but at least you won't see the wood above it. what would you want them to do?
Old 2010-10-04, 10:57 PM
Regular User

I'm a siding installer so I thought I'd chime in
You can do a few things, caulking would seal it, and it wouldn't hold it moisture. You wouldn't have to worry about that, but it is the cheapest, easiest and also probably the least visually appealing option.
You could also ask the siding installer to bend a piece of trim in the shape of an "L" to close it up. It would come out 1/2 inch to 1 inch over the soffit and back down the brick wall the same distance.
Or you could also get a mason to fill in the gap with motor, make it look like a motor joint in the brick.
Myself I'd be happy with either of the last two options.
Old 2010-10-05, 09:14 AM
Regular User

thanks for your reply WCN. I'd prefer the last option, but considering the horrible brick/mortor job they did on my house, they'd probably make a mess of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCN View Post
I'm a siding installer so I thought I'd chime in
You can do a few things, caulking would seal it, and it wouldn't hold it moisture. You wouldn't have to worry about that, but it is the cheapest, easiest and also probably the least visually appealing option.
You could also ask the siding installer to bend a piece of trim in the shape of an "L" to close it up. It would come out 1/2 inch to 1 inch over the soffit and back down the brick wall the same distance.
Or you could also get a mason to fill in the gap with motor, make it look like a motor joint in the brick.
Myself I'd be happy with either of the last two options.
Old 2010-10-05, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Maybe you could express that concern to the builder, see if they can get in a different mason, and mention to do something to protect to soffit from them smearing motor on that as well....something as simple as painters tape.
Most of the mason's I know would make a mess of the soffit as well.
But bending a "L" piece to cover the gap is a livable option as well in my opinion.
Old 2017-07-13, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Sorry to raise this from the archive. I have the same problem in my new house, all around the perimeter there are large gaps. I now have wasps entering the attic.
Builder refuses to fix it.
Are there any references in Tarion that this is not acceptable quality? I can't seem to find any, but I don't believe this is considered normal.