Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2011-02-26, 04:29 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb Just a few PDI Tips

Just a heads up on some items I discovered on my PDI that I wasn't really looking for but found.

1. Leveled stairs - make sure that your stairs are level. Mine weren't and I could visually see the difference. The steps progressively became more and more unleveled the further down they went. The bottom step was almost an inch off!

2. Leveled walls - make sure that your walls are leveled and that there are no "bump outs". By pressing my head against the wall, I could visually see that the wall curves out and comes back as if there was something pushing against the wall from the inside. A level verified this.

3. Leveled floors - walking around in my socks, I found an area in the floor where it dips down and comes back level.

4. No space between the bottom step riser and the floor - The steps from our foyer to the main level - when in the basement I could see a strip of light coming in because there was nothing between the bottom step riser and the foyer floor.

5. Painted tops and bottoms of doors - this was a little nitpicky but these weren't painted and are notorious dust collectors
Old 2011-02-27, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
2. Leveled walls - make sure that your walls are leveled and that there are no "bump outs". By pressing my head against the wall, I could visually see that the wall curves out and comes back as if there was something pushing against the wall from the inside. A level verified this.
Tarion allows 20mm for the 'bump outs'. Is your builder going to fix yours?

In my case, it was because the drywallers drywalled over an electrical box. All they did was cut an opening for it but the opening isn't exact so the bulge is still there.

http://www.tarion.com/services/pdg_detail.aspx?rid=24

http://www.tarion.com/services/pdg_detail.aspx?rid=25
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-02-27, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
5. Painted tops and bottoms of doors - this was a little nitpicky but these weren't painted and are notorious dust collectors
I'd still like to know how anyone can see the bottoms of doors.
Old 2011-03-02, 07:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I'd still like to know how anyone can see the bottoms of doors.
I'll bet the back of the baseboards aren't painted either. Uh-oh!
Old 2011-03-02, 08:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometech View Post
I'll bet the back of the baseboards aren't painted either. Uh-oh!
Oh man, now I have to go and check that

I got the tip to check for paint on all 6 sides of the door on the PDI checklist provided here. I thought it was supposed to be done. Oh well ...
Old 2011-03-02, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Oh man, now I have to go and check that

I got the tip to check for paint on all 6 sides of the door on the PDI checklist provided here. I thought it was supposed to be done. Oh well ...
From my experience, which includes PDI, 30 day, 1 year, 2 year and now into my 7 year range my advice is put everything you see or think is wrong on the PDI, 30 day, 1 year etc....I have numerous times had to go back to form to say to the builder....I told you so. More often than not the excitement of the new home overshadows the need to be diligent in documenting the issues.

Even if the builder says that is not an issue or not their problem, they cannot stop you from putting it on the form, it buys you time to have what may or may not be an issue from being investigated further by yourself or through a professional 3rd party.

As an example, my floor squeaked in a certain spot on the top and main floor. The builder quick response was this is the house settling and will go away over time...it turned out to be a main support issue. They will do everything they can to limit the number of entries on your form.

My insulation was wet in the basement...basement is/was drying out...final...leaking basement windows.

Balcony doors are drafty, first it was caulking, then it was door seals, then I was just my imagination and then it was normal...blah blah blah...the door inserts were put in 1) without and foam sealer 2) screws were overtightened, broken and glue was holding in my inserts....I got 4 new doors.

If I took their quick and witty responses and did not write the issues down I would have no backup, and if the problem persisted I wrote it down on the next form and the next and so on, etc. I'm not saying that the builder guys are all bad but remember this is a business.

One final tip, don't worry about your interior door tops/bottoms, likely if you are breathing and able bodied you can fix that yourself and will do a better job. Worry about the roof shingles, drafts in the house, sparking electrical outlets or the "mystery" switch, water damage or signs of it, do your bathroom kitchen vents actually vent or are they vented into brick...it happens...check caulking around windows doors, where the foundation meets the brick, take a peek under the first row of bricks...is the mortar consistent or do you have big honkin gaps so bees, wasps and mice can take up residence.

I always found a few beers on nice spring/summer/fall night while walking around the house exposed lots of potential issues.
Old 2011-05-13, 03:31 PM
Regular User

R.F.D.
that's very useful, I'll try to keep these in mind when my PDI comes up. Thanks for sharing with us.