Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-27, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Question Telephone Wiring

Don't know why, but Monarch is really cheap in structured wiring area for its homes. They did not put any centralized distribution box for phones and cables.

I can buy structured wiring box, phone and cable modules from home depot. That will happen in next few months. However, to get the phone going i will connect wiring in a "old-school" way.

During PDI i noticed that one wire is coming from outside (seems like a cat 5 cable) and there are wires (cat 5) for each of the phone outlet in home. Looking for a basic connection to fan-out the connection to all the outlets. Is there a standard pair of wires that i should connect? Teksavvy would charge $110 for doing this connection, however for a temporary solution, i don't want to spend that and instead spend the same money to buy structured wiring stuff.

Thanks
Old 2010-09-27, 10:29 AM
Regular User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack#Pinouts

Maybe that will help?
Old 2010-09-27, 01:14 PM
Regular User

http://www.datalinkcom.net/rj45_pinout_wiring.html
Old 2010-09-27, 01:23 PM
Regular User

blue and white/blue (middle pins) for telephone.

If you're doing a structured cabling box with an RJ45 phone module, terminate all CAT5 drops to the 568A pinout; alternatively, get a box with a BIX strip module and punch them down in order (blue/wb/orange/wo/green/wg/brown/wb)

Old 2010-09-27, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi12345 View Post
Don't know why, but Monarch is really cheap in structured wiring area for its homes. They did not put any centralized distribution box for phones and cables.
I don't know of any production builder around here who does that as a standard. You are lucky if all the wires are even connected together.

Even the custom houses I am currently working on for a builder this is an upgrade.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-09-29, 10:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I don't know of any production builder around here who does that as a standard. You are lucky if all the wires are even connected together.

Even the custom houses I am currently working on for a builder this is an upgrade.
Luckily Tamarack does do this in Ottawa. I was pleasantly surprised. I know they just built the cost in there somewhere, but whatever, psychologically speaking at least... there was no upgrade cost.
Old 2010-09-29, 03:50 PM
Regular User

My former Richcraft condo was Structured back to a media box. All the drops were Cat6 and could be used as phones or internet.

Mattamy also came structured as well into a punch out block. Not as good as richcraft, but not too bad either.
Old 2010-09-30, 08:04 AM
Regular User

Richcraft townhouse here- all the wires go into the media box in the equipment room. Beautiful wiring job too.
Old 2010-09-30, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottagonian View Post
Richcraft townhouse here- all the wires go into the media box in the equipment room. Beautiful wiring job too.
Urbandale does as well (at least for single-family homes).
Old 2010-09-30, 01:04 PM
Regular User

Minto first introduced structured wiring in 2000 (year we bought a brand-new home with them).

Today, I'm surprised that it's NOT standard.

Desi12345, if you have the Cat 5e wires in place, just save yourself the money and time and buy the structured wiring panel and components.

Donnyk, how do you know that your wires were Cat 6? I asked Orbital (smart wiring contractor for Richcraft and others) about Cat 6 back last winter and the guy and gal that I talked to discouraged me because of the cost which they didn't specify. It seems like that they were very reluctant on doing it which is understandable since the Cat 6 "standard" and certification process may not have been available yet.

I still "envy" the Sohowest owners with fibre optic connections (even if some had problems). Btw, I just saw a Bell ad last night about their fibre optic connection.

The question is when will fibre to home be standard.