Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-11-03, 01:41 PM

Default Tamarack Review any one?

Hi fellow forum friends,

I am looking into Tamarack homes and need some insight from the people who have bought houses with them.

How would you rate the following -

Pre Sale Experience
Post Sale Experience e.g Customer Service
Quality of Building

Responses will be much appreciated
Old 2015-11-03, 04:14 PM
Regular User

You really cant rely on any feedback you get. It varies by site, year over year, many people are happy and many are not.

It would be helpful to disclose which site you are looking at though.
Old 2015-11-03, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
You really cant rely on any feedback you get. It varies by site, year over year, many people are happy and many are not.

It would be helpful to disclose which site you are looking at though.
I am looking at the Poole Creek Village area (Kanata/Sttitsvile)
Old 2015-11-03, 04:32 PM
Regular User

This one will be tricky. Its a new site and I'm not sure if anyone has moved in yet. Quality of the build is very dependant on who the site foreman is - hard to say where this one is from.

The closest place for Tamarack will be in Jackson Trails. Lots of feedback there - many good and many bad.

Generally, they have a decent reputation. A common theme is limited selection for standard things (tile, cabinets, carpet) and high prices for upgrades.

Ask up front for their willingness to customize things and for costs for upgrades.
Old 2015-11-03, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Old 2015-11-03, 04:49 PM
Regular User

I can only share my experience with the sale at The Meadows (Barrhaven)

Pre Sale Experience: Excellent except they won't budge on pricing. The price is the price (Mostly fair at times)
- Tamarack offers higher standards (so compare apples to apples when checking with other builders)
- Worked with Deb Durie. She has experience will all buyers in this area. Knows the models and what can/can't be done with them.
- Will offer advice on what things to do in terms of structural. Willing to make changes to plans (reasonable).
- One of the few builders that will let you change things around the house (at a cost). Very few people have any "Standard" layouts with Tamarack.
- Check MSL/Grapevine: Very few tamarack homes for sales...
- You can find out all pricing before you buy, just go to the design centre (not sales centre) and they can show you pricing on upgrades for a particular model.
- If you do not like any tiles, you can pick your tiles from 3 of their recommended tile places (of course you will have to pay the cost plus labour), no deductions from what they give you.

Post Sales Experience: Excellent
- Fix everything and anything. No questions ask (Even if you broke it yourself!!)

Quality of Building
- Energy Star is a plus
- Larger lots (depth and width)
- On closing, very little issues (minor).
- Builders use the same guys... It's how the QC looks after the project to ensure things are done right. Tamarack has good QC's

Cabinet Company: Muskoka Cabinets
- They will design your dream kitchen, any way you like it (at a cost, Reasonable but say goodbye to any incentives you receive as it will go all here!!)

Tamarack: P

The Essex by Tamarack Homes - The Meadows
Closed: Oct, 2014
Old 2015-11-03, 07:59 PM
Regular User

I'm in iBilliam's neighbourhood. I bought an inventory home, so I can't comment too much on the pre-sales experience. My post-purchase experience wasn't as smooth as what he mentioned, but Tamarack does make it quite easy to escalate issues to management as they make the executive contact info directly available to purchasers (I called and spoke with the president... he personally answered the phone). After escalating the ongoing issues I had, there were reasonable resolutions made.
Old 2015-11-03, 08:13 PM
Regular User

We bought in the Findlay Creek area a few years back. Here was our general overview on the transaction:

Pre Sale Experience: Great. We dealt with two sales people. One was far more helpful and cordial than that other. Like any other experience, it really depends on who you deal with.
They provided fantastic advice and recommendations re: structural modifications to the home. It was very easy to get feedback and responses from a pre-sales perspective. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was their time restrictions with making structural modifications. Given that there was 8 months before the shovel hit the ground on my house, it seemed odd I had 5 days to decide all the structural items. If you aren't under a time crunch, perhaps get them to give you all the necessary quotes for structural upgrades and stuff like that before you hand over the money and sign the documents.

Post Sales Experience: Good. They fixed everything when asked. The odd time, a trade would fail to show up, but that is more on the individual trade than on the company itself. We were able to get a response on any inquiry we had within 48 hours.

Quality of Building: We were really happy with the quality of the finish. There were obviously the regular finishing issues that weren't done to our satisfaction, but Tamarack came back and rectified any issues we had.

On the whole, I was really happy with my purchase. If we were to purchase new again, the first two builders I would go look at again would be Tamarack and Tartan.