Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-12-15, 11:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali-gee View Post
Thanks Brandon. The only reason I want to do the granite is because I have to spend my design center money on something and I am thinking of using it for the jobs that are more invasive and difficult to do later on.

Do you suggest other changes that might be better options to spend the money on?
I'd go for kitchen upgrades (layout, cabinets, etc), and those will likely costa good chunk change. Also getting a glass shower door, and possibly french doors for the front foyer of your house.

A lot of my upgrade spending also went to getting wood stairs and wood flooring for the hallway upstairs that matched my main floor stairs. This could be difficult to do afterwards (where it all matches).

Can the design centre money go towards upgrading to 9ft ceilings in the basement and open-to-below?
Old 2015-12-15, 11:49 PM
Regular User

Yes I think I will pay some of my design center bonus for the 9 foot ceiling. I guess the rest like you said is best to be put on the kitchen upgrades. I also asked for the rough-in for basement bathroom but that is paid by us not the bonus.

Other things that I was worried about were things that I find important and I am not sure if they are included in standard house like outdoor lighting for front and back? Hose bib in the garage and in backyard? Power plugs in garage and outdoor?

Thanks for your help and advice
Old 2015-12-16, 07:11 AM
Regular User

Check the specificAtikns page in your purchase agreement.
Old 2015-12-16, 10:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali-gee View Post
Yes I think I will pay some of my design center bonus for the 9 foot ceiling. I guess the rest like you said is best to be put on the kitchen upgrades. I also asked for the rough-in for basement bathroom but that is paid by us not the bonus.

Other things that I was worried about were things that I find important and I am not sure if they are included in standard house like outdoor lighting for front and back? Hose bib in the garage and in backyard? Power plugs in garage and outdoor?

Thanks for your help and advice
I bought an inventory home, so I don't remember what was upgraded or not (but I think the things you mentioned were standard). My Madison has the following:
  • 2x soffit lights above garage (photo-sensor controlled), 1x soffit light above front porch
  • 1x carriage light for backyard
  • hose bibs in garage and backyard
  • 4x power plugs in garage (1x for garage door opener, 1x for vacuum rough-in, and 2x on the walls)
  • 1x soffit power outlet (above front porch)
  • 1x power outlet in front porch area, 1x power outlet in backyard beside patio door

Another suggestion, is if you want a well lit garage, you should get an additional lighting fixture (1 above each car spot). I have 1 fixture in the garage and my garage door opener blocks a lot of the light output.

Last edited by BrandonH; 2015-12-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2015-12-16, 10:15 AM
Regular User

We're one of only a few houses on our street that opted for soffit lights on the exterior high up on the 2nd level from the roof and not only do they add additional light at night, they also add a nice touch from a curb appeal perspective.

If you're ok spending $750-$1,000 I highly recommend you think about it. Small item in the long run but rare to come by and we're super thankful we did it.
Old 2015-12-16, 06:47 PM
Regular User

Putting in more lights in the garage is something I wish I had done as well.

How about installing drawers in the two bathrooms, water line for fridge, BBQ gas line, toe tester in ensuite shower, elongated toilets and additional CAT5 outlets? Frosting the three windows above the staircase is something I did after closing but if you want to spend your DC money, you can look into it now. It's hard to tell from the floorplan but can you add a second sink in the main bathroom? For mine, there's room for three sinks.

Do people install soffit lights on the 2nd storey on the back of the house? They might be handy to have to light up the backyard.
Moved In: April 10th 2010

Last edited by BrianT; 2015-12-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2015-12-16, 07:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Do people install soffit lights on the 2nd storey on the back of the house? They might be handy to have to light up the backyard.
Yuppers - show me the money!
Old 2015-12-16, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
We're one of only a few houses on our street that opted for soffit lights on the exterior high up on the 2nd level from the roof and not only do they add additional light at night, they also add a nice touch from a curb appeal perspective.

If you're ok spending $750-$1,000 I highly recommend you think about it. Small item in the long run but rare to come by and we're super thankful we did it.
+1. We did this in our Bristol and it was totally worth it.

Also, if you want some additional light in your garage, I would recommend window inserts in the garage door. In my opinion, it was worth every penny.

Old 2015-12-17, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
+1. We did this in our Bristol and it was totally worth it.

Also, if you want some additional light in your garage, I would recommend window inserts in the garage door. In my opinion, it was worth every penny.
Only downsides to window inserts are worse heat retention in the garage, and privacy (I saw random people once a week or so looking into the garage on my security camera at my old house with inserts if they answered the door and nobody was home). I prefer the solid insulated door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
How about installing drawers in the two bathrooms, water line for fridge, BBQ gas line, toe tester in ensuite shower, elongated toilets and additional CAT5 outlets? Frosting the three windows above the staircase is something I did after closing but if you want to spend your DC money, you can look into it now. It's hard to tell from the floorplan but can you add a second sink in the main bathroom? For mine, there's room for three sinks.
Yes another sink can easily fit in the main bathroom.

I'd also suggest adding a pot-light to the shower in the ensuite.

Gas line is cheaper and easy to add after delivery, along with fridge water line (an easy DIY).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post

Yea your house looks nice at night!

Additionally, the houses who have the upgraded stone exteriors also stand out among the sea of brick/siding (like my house lol).

Last edited by BrandonH; 2015-12-17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2015-12-17, 11:33 AM
Regular User

[QUOTE=BrandonH;313595]Only downsides to window inserts are worse heat retention in the garage, and privacy (I saw random people once a week or so looking into the garage on my security camera at my old house with inserts if they answered the door and nobody was home). I prefer the solid insulated door.

How tall were the people? I'm 6ft tall and there's no way I could look into the windows without being on my tippy toes and a steps on a stepstool. (windows were in the top row of the garage door).

I would definitely agree with the worse heat retention, but it really doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I just think the window inserts and the 2nd floor soffit lighting differentiate the house from every other house on the street that looks the same, and is clad in the same 3 or 4 shades of siding.