Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > East Gwillimbury

East Gwillimbury Holland Landing, Queensville, Mount Albert, River Drive Park, and Sharon.

Old 2017-07-19, 08:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhomebuyer View Post
Hey Blade,

How did everything go? Any update on your PDI and everything since?
Hi everyone,

So we did the PDI yesterday, right before getting the keys, because the house had too many incomplete items on Monday. There were maybe 15 people in our house working on it, and some on the exterior as well.

The worst items we found were as follows:

- missing hardwood in 2 rooms on the main floor. Apparently they ran out of hardwood and it was on backorder, it is supposedly getting finished tomorrow

- water seems to be pooling a bit in our basement near the cold room. The foundation company has been called to take a look, don't have any other details as of yet

- one of the pots and pans drawers we added underneath the cooktop won't close all the way, because it hits the gas line

- one cracked window pane in one of the bedrooms

- some very minor dings on some other stuff, but not too bad

- the house hadn't been cleaned yet because they still had some work to do, so they will be cleaning it on friday when all major items are supposed to be completed

- I will provide some updates and pictures when I get some better ones of the completed house

- none of the Smart tech stuff was completed, had to call them to set up an appointment to finish everything, but everyone seems to have this issue

Honestly I was expecting worse based on the issues I heard from other people before me, such as missing cabinets, ripping up hardwood and tiles due to poor workmanship, etc., however my house doesn't seem too bad.

Hopefully the foundation issue isn't a huge problem, but if they have to do some digging, I would prefer they do it soon lol..

Getting an inspector for early next week prior to moving in.
Old 2017-07-19, 10:57 PM
Regular User

Hi,
We had done the PDI too last week and the worst things we found for the following below:
-Level flooring kitchen was not same and they are still working on it to fix.
-found some scratched on the hardwood and they will fix it
-Water leaking under the sink
- Some spot in the wall need to be painted due to the quality was not good
- They have not painted the stair and hardwood on the landing was not installed yet
-Missing upgrade for the exterior lamp and they will refund it

Exterior was completed and they are still need to build the deck
Old 2017-07-19, 11:07 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the update Blade!

You seem to have a really good attitude about everything. As someone that has been reading these issues from you and others over the past few months, I feel really troubled by the kinds of things that people are experiencing. I mean, minor nicks and scuffs happen, but to order flooring 1 year ago and then not have it installed by closing is truly appalling. Nobody knows how concrete will settle, so that's almost impossible to guarantee (I've had Foundation cracks in every home I've owned), but it gets fixed. I am relieved to find that sort of thing before you decide to finish a basement, but what nags at me is the impression that I get that this builder can't seem to get the basics right.

They must know by now how long it takes to deliver and install hardwood floors, cabinets, etc. Then I see phase 3 and the first homes framed seem to be the last to be bricked. Makes no sense. No wonder people have been having issues with completed items and on time delivery. There just doesn't seem to be any order or structure to how they do things and that doesn't make me feel very confident as a home buyer. The complaints speak for themselves.

After over 200 completed homes in phases 1 and 2, I am still waiting for a review that doesn't have any incomplete or major non-conformances.

With regards to Smart Tech, I was told a year ago at my meeting that they would do outlets and wiring during the building process but they would only install cameras, central vac, etc once I've gotten possession.

Anyway, I hope all of your items get completed with quality and in a timely manner.

Last edited by bwhomebuyer; 2017-07-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2017-07-24, 10:56 AM
Regular User

Quick update. So they finished the hardwood pretty quickly, one or 2 days after closing. They have also been working on some other minor things around the house.

I am still waiting for garage doors though (was supposed to be done Friday but didn't happen), and for them to look at my foundation to determine where the moisture is coming from.

I hired an inspector to come tomorrow to help me compile my 30 day list, which I'm sure I will add more stuff to after living in the house for a few more weeks. Got my appliances installed and everything fit properly (I had custom cutouts for built in appliances, I was worried that they were gonna screw up the dimensions but everything was good!).
Old 2017-07-31, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Morning All,

We were at the site over the weekend and we surprised how fast the framing of the new houses were going up.

it appears they are getting ready to brick houses on gibson circle.
Old 2017-08-02, 08:02 AM
Regular User

I think i've seen a few already bricked on Gibson circle. I can see that they are bricking on Tupling St., it seems to take them about 3 or 4 days to finish each house, i've been tracking them!
Old 2017-08-11, 08:20 AM
Regular User

Hey guys,

Just curious, did anyone else move in recently? I am wondering how it's going dealing with the construction office. They seem to get things done but only if I harrass them every day for the things I really need now (like my mirrors in the bathrooms).
Old 2017-09-03, 01:58 PM
Regular User

Hi guys,

It's been almost 1 month since the last post in this forum. Any news from anyone? Blade, have you got most things resolved? Anyone else get delayed? Anyone with previous issues get them resolved?

We are about 10 weeks from closing and no bricks yet. House has been framed since April. That's a lot of rain on the framed have been soaking up over the last 5 months.

Best of luck to everyone!
Old 2017-09-05, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhomebuyer View Post
Hi guys,

It's been almost 1 month since the last post in this forum. Any news from anyone? Blade, have you got most things resolved? Anyone else get delayed? Anyone with previous issues get them resolved?

We are about 10 weeks from closing and no bricks yet. House has been framed since April. That's a lot of rain on the framed have been soaking up over the last 5 months.

Best of luck to everyone!
I submitted my 30-day Tarion form, some has been resolved but most hasn't. I had to harrass them to come fix the items that were really bothering me, but they've only addressed a few of them. They still have to finish my bay window on the inside, and when one of the guys was there to fix a different issue, I brought him upstairs to show him the window and he's like "oh wow, how long have you been living here? This should have been done a while ago, they must have forgot"...wow...

You basically need to harrass them to get stuff done.
Old 2017-09-05, 01:10 PM
Regular User

Hi Blade,

I remember with my past builder they dragged their feet on some items as well until I requested a conciliation inspection from Tarion. Once that was scheduled the builder called within 24 hrs and a week later every trade and their dog was over fixing everything in the house.

The funny part was that after that, they were all, "Oh, why didn't you talk to us first?", etc. I told them that it wasn't my job to babysit them. I submit my PDI, 30 day, 1 year, etc on time and it's up to them to fix it. I don't harass, I just wait for the time to expire and call the Tarion inspector.

It costs about $300, but if the inspector finds just 1 item that you reported and wasn't corrected, you get a refund and the builder gets fined, along with a poor rating in their system. The more issues with a builder, the worse the fines get. It motivates them better than complaining ever did.

I know Tarion and the builders are in bed together anyway, but that route has always helped me get everything resolved. It just sucks that you have to wait about 120 days after your submissions before you can ask for a conciliation inspection.

Anyways, let us know when everything gets done.