Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-08-20, 11:38 AM
Regular User

Actually, what about the two buildings behind Home Depot and Best Buy in the Master Plan pdf? Those look new, and pretty decently sized as well (both over 52,000 sf). Also includes lots of new parking.
Old 2018-08-20, 01:15 PM
Regular User

I'm currently (finally?!) seeing a more concerted effort to mobilize Barrhavenites (is that what we’re called?) so our voice can be louder when it comes to various areas of development, with an emphasis on transportation planning in particular.

A lot hinges on the so called “Grennbank Re-alignment”; certainly for Barrhaven South aka “New Barrhaven”, where the most growth is, as there is very little chance of the amenities that should have been present by now arriving until the main artery cuts through the proposed “Half Moon Bay town centre”……but also for the rest of Barrhaven, since I believe some other development plans around Barrhaven Centre also relied on Greenbank re-alignment as a first step. I know there was also some interesting chatter around the development of a “cultural center” behind the Loblaws/Cinema area. A place for walking, convening, with places to sit, maybe some live music to take in, etc. I hope people can all get behind pushing for these things to come earlier……the population growth has far outpaced other development. A ten + year delay of re-aligning Greenbank South is not acceptable. The City needs to hear about it. Lots of potential being held up!
Old 2018-08-26, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Happy to report that the Stonebridge residents definitely made their opinions heard. Mattamy is pulling their zoning requests and development plans for the area around the golf course! Sounds like they will be going back to the drawing board in closer consultation with stakeholders.
Old 2018-08-26, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
Happy to report that the Stonebridge residents definitely made their opinions heard. Mattamy is pulling their zoning requests and development plans for the area around the golf course! Sounds like they will be going back to the drawing board in closer consultation with stakeholders.
Wow, that's awesome. Surprised a big builder like that reversed course!
Old 2018-08-31, 04:40 PM
Regular User

I am no longer in Barrhaven but I still subscribe to the major builder newsletter and alerts. I just received one from Mattamy where they are advertising stacked townhouses for sale that carry monthly condo fees.

I don't recall seeing Mattamy charging condo fees before, at least not in the several Ottawa communities they have built in the past decade. Is this something new? Is this all about the Benjamins again?
Old 2018-09-02, 12:16 AM
Regular User

It's posted on their large Mattamy sign outside their sales office too!

"Condos starting from $234,900"
Old 2018-09-02, 11:58 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
It's posted on their large Mattamy sign outside their sales office too!

"Condos starting from $234,900"
Yes Darryl, I am curious if sales has been slow so they have to be more aggressive in their marketing or if they are running out of land to build in Barrhaven and want to squeeze in as many units as they can now?

I know Monarch built some condo stacked towns around the Minto Sports Complex area but that was towards the last few phases of Stonebridge and they were soon bought out by Mattamy not long after.
Old 2018-09-02, 01:30 PM
Regular User

I sat in on some of the planning meetings for the areas that Mattamy is calling Half Moon Bay West and Minto's next phase of Quinn's point. The city is the one setting the density targets. They are trying to reduce the urban sprawl and increase the density. The builders can put in singles but they also have to do towns and stacked towns and/or small apartments to meet the numbers. They generally put the higher density items beside shopping or transit.

It's also an affordability issue. Not everyone can afford half a million for a house.
Old 2018-09-02, 04:18 PM
Regular User

Big news from my side of the Haven. I have been curious what would happen to the field on Fallowfield right near Cedarview (behind the middle school). Well....Phoenix just submitted a massive proposal and I am shocked! Looks like they bought the vacant land and old farmhouse but also managed to pick up two of the three houses near Cedarview.

"Proposal to demolish all structures on site to develop 14 new buildings - 5 apartment builidings (90 units) and 9 stacked townhouse buildings (104 units). also to develop 70 underground parking spaces and 202 surface, roadway modifications and communal amentity area."

Sorry, I wanted to post some pics of the plans but I'm getting an error when I try to upload....

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A6G2ZS
Old 2018-09-04, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
Big news from my side of the Haven. I have been curious what would happen to the field on Fallowfield right near Cedarview (behind the middle school). Well....Phoenix just submitted a massive proposal and I am shocked! Looks like they bought the vacant land and old farmhouse but also managed to pick up two of the three houses near Cedarview.

"Proposal to demolish all structures on site to develop 14 new buildings - 5 apartment builidings (90 units) and 9 stacked townhouse buildings (104 units). also to develop 70 underground parking spaces and 202 surface, roadway modifications and communal amentity area."

Sorry, I wanted to post some pics of the plans but I'm getting an error when I try to upload....

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A6G2ZS

Oh, wow, that's lot of units, Barrhaven is getting congested by the minute Traffic is going to be horrendous as time goes by......