Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-01, 11:14 AM
Regular User

I don't know how much it would do but I would honestly email Doug Ford's office or your MPP with this particular issue and encourage everyone you know to do so as well. He tends to act quick and hundreds of thousdands of homeowners in Ontario would appreciate it, so nice to mention during the next election. 'Fighting for the little guy'
Old 2018-09-01, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I contacted the listing agent and this is his response

I spoke with my clients again regarding the hot water tank rental and they have never had any bills for the hot water tank. They called all of the major providers as well and the tank is not registered anywhere. The builder was responsible to register the hot water tank and they believe this never happened. The builder has since gone out of business.

I hope this helps and I expect that you'll never receive any bills for the hot water tank at this point.

While it is great to hear I may not receive any bills for the rental of this hot water tank, my concern is we are on our own for any service/repair. I have never *owned* a hot water tank so I do not know what the lifespan for these tanks are, what the common problems may be and how much it usually costs to address those problems.

I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there but I'll try to read up and do my own research so I have an idea what to expect.
Don't worry about the hot water tank. Just fix it when iut breask down and in the meantime, find out what the make and model is and google the owners manual. It will tell you what you need to know to maintain it properly.
Old 2018-09-04, 10:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoatNerd View Post
Sept 1, 2018

Read today's Ottawa Citizen, page A12 - reporter Kelly Egan has an article on this topic.

If you are interested in getting out of your forced rental water heater - contact Kelly ASAP. I have already emailed him asking for his assistance with Enercare.

Kelly did an excellent job on his initial research - went to developers and feds etc.

The topic is now out there - lets ride it!

Thanks for the info, I'll read through as well
Old 2018-09-04, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
The story can be found online as well:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-only-for-rent

Thanks for the link
Old 2018-09-05, 07:57 AM
Regular User

After reading the article something stuck out to me. Enbridge is "required by law to engage in third-party billing" therefore, this must be in writing somewhere.

EB-2011-0354 (google it)

After going through this I discovered there are rules for allowing companies to tack on their charges through enbridge. For example:

Ex. N1, Tab 1, Sch. 2
Appendix B

B.Each Customer has entered into a Customer Services Agreement whereby such Customer has agreed, among other things, (1) to pay certain stipulated amounts in respect of the Customer Services provided to such Customer under the Customer Services Agreement; and (2) to allow the Biller to share information regarding such Customer with the Company.

So legally Enbridge is not allowed to accept third party charges from companies without a signed contract (or Customer Service Agreement) yet they do this to most new-build owners (speaking to neighbours it seems none of them have...).
Old 2018-09-05, 12:33 PM
Regular User

I'll bet this is why they are extremely quick to remove the third party bill from their bill upon request. They really don't want to come across as collaborators in this scam.
Old 2018-09-05, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
After reading the article something stuck out to me. Enbridge is "required by law to engage in third-party billing" therefore, this must be in writing somewhere.

EB-2011-0354 (google it)

After going through this I discovered there are rules for allowing companies to tack on their charges through enbridge. For example:

Ex. N1, Tab 1, Sch. 2
Appendix B

B.Each Customer has entered into a Customer Services Agreement whereby such Customer has agreed, among other things, (1) to pay certain stipulated amounts in respect of the Customer Services provided to such Customer under the Customer Services Agreement; and (2) to allow the Biller to share information regarding such Customer with the Company.

So legally Enbridge is not allowed to accept third party charges from companies without a signed contract (or Customer Service Agreement) yet they do this to most new-build owners (speaking to neighbours it seems none of them have...).
Joey,

Can you post a direct link to where you found this info in case we need it.
Old 2018-09-05, 12:59 PM
Regular User

It's an online PDF. Just google "EB-2011-0354" and go to the PDF page 12.
Old 2018-09-05, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloottawa View Post
I'll bet this is why they are extremely quick to remove the third party bill from their bill upon request. They really don't want to come across as collaborators in this scam.
You're actually right. Enercare charges were removed in 2 weeks from the time I called Enbridge to open a dispute.
Old 2018-09-05, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
You're actually right. Enercare charges were removed in 2 weeks from the time I called Enbridge to open a dispute.
Time for an audit!