Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-28, 07:36 PM
Regular User

One more thing... In previous conversations with Enbridge, they told me that the reason the Enercare charge was still on our Enbridge bill was because Enercare told them that they spoke with us and that we agreed to the charges. I was LIVID!!! I basically told them that Enercare had lied to them and that we are still in dispute. They removed the charge pretty fast.
Old 2019-05-28, 07:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloottawa View Post
One more thing... In previous conversations with Enbridge, they told me that the reason the Enercare charge was still on our Enbridge bill was because Enercare told them that they spoke with us and that we agreed to the charges. I was LIVID!!! I basically told them that Enercare had lied to them and that we are still in dispute. They removed the charge pretty fast.
Oh woww! I should look out then.

You are 100% right. My first attempt was calling Enbridge. It did not seem that they would be willing to remove the rental equipment bill. I sent an email to their Ombudsman informing them that I contacted EnerCare regarding buying the equipment at FMV, I have yet received a reply from Enercare. Just waiting for both replies.
Old 2019-05-30, 08:09 AM
Regular User

Don’t wait for both replies, call Enbridge NOW and get them to remove the charge. Tell them you are “IN DISPUTE” with enercare and that you want that charge removed. By law they cannot say no. This is the only thing that will get Enercare’s attention.

You need to understand their mentality. They prey on the complacency and fear of confrontation that most people have because this gets results. People just settle into the monthly payment, try to rationalize it by telling themselves that they are covered and they get free oncall service and repairs etc.... BUT, if you actually READ the entire TOS you will see that they have worded it in a way that allows them to decide whether or not to charge you for each and every service call and if you actually visit the BBB site you’d see that many people have filed complaints about this very issue.

Stand up for yourself!!! I only say this because they screw over so many people and everyone just bends over and takes it like good Canadians.
Old 2019-05-30, 11:30 PM
Regular User

Enercare does not charge for any service calls or repairs on their rental water heaters.

Lets not give out wrong info just because you dont like rentals..

Try to stay on topic.
Old 2019-05-31, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Can you definitively prove this in the TOS?

Because I just read it and it does NOT say. Enercare will repair or replace a faulty water heater at no additional cost to the customer.... So, since you brought up the spreading of false information, please show me where it says that.

https://www.enercare.ca/home/water-h...rms-conditions

Last edited by pabloottawa; 2019-05-31 at 07:45 PM.
Old 2019-05-31, 10:30 PM
Regular User

2015+ TOS

Quote:
3. Our Obligation to You. Our obligation to you is to service and repair the
Water Heater with no service charges or parts replacement charges except in the
following circumstances:
a) if you (or a third party not authorized by us) alter, modify, adjust, damage,
service, repair, move or disconnect, the Water Heater;
b) if service or repairs to the Water Heater are necessary because the Water
Heater was used for an unintended or unauthorized purpose, including nonresidential purposes;
c) unless you are paying our hard water rental rate, if the Water Heater
requires de-liming, flushing or other repair due to water conditions or the
quality of the environment in which the Water Heater is situated. For greater
certainty, Enercare determines hard wate r conditions. In such situations, we
cover only diagnostic work;
d) where venting, piping, wiring, plumbing, ducting and/or electric services
requires cleaning, repair, replacement or installation, including to meet
applicable laws or installation requirements;
e) where re-setting is required due to FVIR “lock-out” as described below under
“Customer Advisory”;
f) if you fail to maintain the Water Heater in accordance with the requirements
set out below under “Customer Obligations - Safety”;
g) for service charges or parts replacement related to the use of load control
devices, peak savings, load timers and all other energy saving devices; or
h) if you fail to notify us as described below under “Customer Obligations - Duty
to Maintain”.
Should you require assistance, our 24-hour per day, 7 days per week emergency
phone number is 1-800-266-3939. Should we update this phone number, the
updated number can be found on the Enercare website at
The very first line states they dont charge...

Also I know this from experience. When i used to repair rental water heaters for about 20 years. I never charged rental customers for repairs to the rental tank.. Techs like working on rental equipment becuase the customer is not paying out of pocket. Nothing better then diagnosing and repairing an appliance without dealing with customers stressing over high cost of parts and labor.

Here are a list of the few odd situations where a customer could/should be charged:
-faulty mixing vavles(plumbing component not tank)
-adjusting incorrectly adjusted mixing vavles
-Flood damage (sewer back up ect)
-customer abuse(dog chewed on controls,ect)
-smelly water calls. (the well is not covered by the rental of the tank)
-changes to venting( this was a grey area, it wasnt covered then it was, im not sure where they stand these days with who covers the venting.. )

In most cases all these above rare items got diagnosed for free and quotes given for repair options.. Alot of times techs found ways not to charge the customer..

Have to remember that behind the big(evil?) corporate name are honest hard working people. Techs that enjoy service work on appliances.
Old 2019-06-01, 03:10 PM
Regular User

So one line means they are amazing right? Then they state “Except in the following circumstances.” That is almost an entire page. Gee that sure sounds like they are out to provide top notch service. You hear that everyone, we can all go home now.

I guess all the complaints, thread discussions on red flag deals, Reddit, the article in the Citizen along with the various articles on the net are lies right? Funny how you seem so keen on ignoring all of the incidents and history this company has and try to defend them at every turn. I’m amazed at the level of arrogance you carry trying to justify the actions of such a practice as a fair and decent way to conduct business. Clearly most people don’t agree.
Old 2019-06-01, 03:28 PM
Regular User

Also, you are implying that you work for one of these companies as a tech. So you do your thing as a tech and try not to charge customers but you are trying to deny that the corporation doesn’t go out of their way to screw customers by locking them into a contract that they never agreed to or wanted. Your work has nothing to do with how customers are treated when they want to get out of a contract or call to say they don’t agree to the terms or prices. It’s fine if you want to defend your work but you have no argument in this discussion nor are your lints valid. Techs are not part of the issue or the problem. If anything they make an honest effort to help customers because they are the ones who have to meet them face to face and deal with them on the front lines. YOUR WORK, is not what this is about so I can only argue that you feel this threatens your job. I can’t see why it would but I’m not you nor do I know how this scandal and scam is affecting the techs and because of this, I feel sorry for you but you should be taking this up with your superiors instead of trying to explain the shady business tactics and dirty scams these companies practice to the people here who feel they are being taken advantage of.
Old 2019-06-01, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Wow, personal attacks and rudeness. Pablo you really need to re-think your approach.

In 20 years of renting a water heater, I never had to pay for repairs, nor has anyone I know.

My father had to pay for venting when he got a new rental tank as the new tank needed something different than what he had. He was renting the tank not the infrastructure.

That said, it's still a better value to own instead of rent, BUT you don't have to personally attack anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Not everyone has the same contract with the builder that you have. Not everyone is dealing with the same rental company.

Stop with the insults and attacks.
Old 2019-06-01, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Thanks suezuki650