Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-03-14, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Default Finishing the Basement

Is anybody going to finish their basement rather than wait the recommended year or two? I really could use the extra space and would rather get it done sooner than later. Plus, Costco (Kanata) has laminate flooring on sale right now
Old 2008-03-14, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Hey Nieghbour!

We really want to finish it up now too, but we fear that something will happen and we'll have to tear stuff down if there's ever any issues. We are going to wait the 2 years to finish it as recommended because I want everything covered under our warranty should anything happen.

Also, we already set up our basement so we technically can use it. We put cheap carpets down, painted the floor to get rid of the dust, thouroughly cleaned it, couches, TV, entertainment unit, and a shelving unit. It works for now and we can still utilize the space if we want!!

Come over and check it out! I still want to see your place too!
Old 2008-03-14, 10:48 AM
Regular User

Doing mine has we speak.. Did not wait a year (as a matter of fact, I haven't been in my house for a year yet). If your foundation is dampproofed and the grading is good, I wouldn't worry about potential problems. It's not worse than if you had paid the builder to finish it..
Old 2008-03-14, 10:49 AM
Regular User

True. I just don't want the warranty to be voided if anything should go wrong...I'm a bit of a worry wart about those things and would rather play it safe.

Maybe next summer though, after 1.5 years of being in the house.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:09 AM
Regular User

I just did my 1 year inspection. I'll be finishing mine this summer. I had an inspector in just to confirm everything is OK in the basement, nothing they have to fix down there and things to watch for.

He said to check the foundation under your windows in your basement. Often times it will start to crack at the corners. You wouldn't see it because insulation is covering it. He told me to cut the vapor barrier, look inside, if no cracks then seal it back up with that red tape and go to town.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:10 AM
Regular User

On a related note: for basement finishing, take a look at the mikeholmesfanforum, there's a subforum on basements with lots of useful info. basically, the first step in finishing a new basement is to remove the builder's' crap.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Wait a few months at least, let anything obvious show up like concrete cracks, leaks (especially now that spring is coming).

If you just can't wait, then run electrical outlets in the existing walls and put in fluorescent overhead lights (instead of the naked pull-chain bulbs) and put down some floor rugs. I know people who've lived for years with a semi-finished basement like this.
Old 2008-03-14, 12:25 PM
Regular User

With most builders now using some form of waterproofing (not just dampproofing) using dimple membrane or spray (there lots of diff brands for each), getting a leaky basement is a lot more unlikely than in the past.

Make sure the grading is good outside too. The soil will settle with a new home, so keep an eye for water not draining away from the foundation and fix it immediately.

This spring, if the snow melts really quickly, will be a good test for you foundation.

Maybe I'm just old school, but unless I absolutely need the living space in the basement, I rather wait a couple of years just to make sure nothing leaks or cracks.
Old 2008-03-14, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I've seen new basements leak several times.

You should wait for the grading of the area to be completed and signed off and wait at _least_ one full seasonal cycle.

Remember, if something leaks and you want it fixed, all your stuff is being removed at your expense and will not be replaced.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-03-14, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnstar View Post
For builder-finished basements (included in price, and not considered an upgrade), any problems which needed fixing would be at the builder's expense, correct?
That would be my understanding. Check your contract.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/