Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2009-10-12, 05:48 AM
Regular User

Default Best/nicest areas of Oakville?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move to Oakville from the UK. Could someone please advise as to which areas are the nicer parts.

I have already been told that on Dundas near 3rd Line that's not a great area.

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks.

Old 2009-10-12, 10:31 PM
Regular User

I like the older part of Oakville, close to the lake. The only problem is you need a healthy budget to find a nice home in this area. There is nothing wrong with 3rd line/Dundas area, there are lots of trails and parks in the area and the new hospital is being built there. Bronte Creek is also very nice.
Old 2009-10-14, 04:38 PM

Hi Act1980. I grew up in Southeast Oakville, and bought a house in Northwest Oakville. Full disclosure here -- I am a local realtor. I say that not to pitch to you but rather to say that from my experience there are no "bad" places in Oakville but there are certain areas that you will find suit your lifestyle better than others. Usually the biggest factors for buyers new to the area are:

1. Commute time (there is a huge difference in commute time from east to west Oakville which is important to consider given the traffic congestion around the greater Toronto area).
2. Price Range
3. Stage of Your Life (ie: certain communities cater more towards young families, others are quieter and more mature)
4. Preference for homes versus lots (certain areas of Oakville are significantly newer and generally offer open concept homes with small lots. Other areas are the exact opposite.
5. Willingness to renovate/improve your home (certain areas are much better for finding fixer-uppers than others)

Oakville truly is an amazing place to live -- safe, family friendly, high education levels, close to the culture and amenities of Toronto while maintaining a community feel.

No pressure, but if you elaborate on some of your preferences above, I am happy to send you a message with a snapshot and pictures of some of different Oakville neighbourhoods.

Good luck with your home search!
Lindsay
Old 2009-10-14, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Frankly, anywhere right on a major street (ie: Dundas) won't be the best option.

What is your budget?

Do you have school-age children that will be attending public schools (ie: would you like to pay a little extra to be walking distance to a good school)?

Lindsay makes sense. i think this is one of the few scenarios where a real-estate agent could legitimately earn most of their fee. You won't get enough feedback on oakville online - (how do i put this politely?) the residents of the more expensive neighbourhoods aren't into the online forums as much as the residents of the more reasonably priced neighbourhoods.
Old 2009-10-15, 12:34 PM
Regular User

well said oakvillehomeowner, well said