Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-12-07, 06:42 PM
Regular User

Default 2500 for 2nd Sink ....Is it Reasonable ?

My Builder wants 2500 for the second sink. Is it reasonable in terms of other builders. Sounds a lot to me. They said they have to move lot of plumbing and it will be real hard to do with cabinets in.
I am also thinking of getting Marble Countertop late. Does that effect it in any way. By that I mean I be changing the countertop any way after close but don't have a timeline yet.

Old 2009-12-07, 08:09 PM
Regular User

we upgraded our ensuite to double sink + bunk of drawers for the total of 950.
So 2500 sounds a lot to me.
Old 2009-12-07, 08:36 PM
Regular User

Newmakethomes, would you mind telling who your builder is?
Old 2009-12-07, 09:03 PM
Regular User

HR in newmarket
Old 2009-12-07, 10:03 PM
Regular User

addtemp, you need to realize that almost anything the builder quotes you on, will be significantly marked up. I was quoted $2800 for a kitchen sink (just the sink) which i saw at several retailers for $1100. Ask yourself if it is so much easier for the builder to do prior to cabinet installation why the huge cost. If you're going to change to marble after, just add a sink then. Try not to give these shysters anymore money than you absolutely have to.
Old 2009-12-08, 10:03 AM
Regular User

$2500 is a lot. Madison homes is charging me $1400 for the second bathroom sink and I think that is excessive. However I was told that the price includes a seperate plumbing system (stack?) for the second sink and its not just attached to the main sink.
Old 2009-12-08, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Wow, that price is just unreal

With the help of a plumber, you can do this upgrade after closing. Even if you have to buy a brand new cabinet with 2 new sinks,
it will cost you less! Find out how much they will charge you just to upgrade the cabinet so it will accommodate future 2nd sink.
Old 2009-12-08, 10:40 AM
Regular User

i was told by the person at the decor center that if you're going to get a granite countertop later with undermount sink, don't spend your money upgrading your sink. stick to the standard for now. if you spend that extra money getting that second sink, then when you get granite countertops and you want undermount sink, then you may need to get another sink. can you get the plumbing done now, but not get the sink yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
My Builder wants 2500 for the second sink. Is it reasonable in terms of other builders. Sounds a lot to me. They said they have to move lot of plumbing and it will be real hard to do with cabinets in.
I am also thinking of getting Marble Countertop late. Does that effect it in any way. By that I mean I be changing the countertop any way after close but don't have a timeline yet.
Old 2009-12-08, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Great ideas ...

I will ask them if they can do plumbing only. I doubt they will agree to it. I will see if they can upgrade the cabinet to accomodate 2nd sink but again I am sure they will come up with excuse that thats what they charging 2500 for.

With the money spend on all other things I don't think i be able to go above 1st level upgrade for cabinets in the washrooms. There first upgrade is Viking any way which is standard with lot of other builders.

Old 2009-12-08, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
Great ideas ...

I will ask them if they can do plumbing only. I doubt they will agree to it. I will see if they can upgrade the cabinet to accomodate 2nd sink but again I am sure they will come up with excuse that thats what they charging 2500 for.

With the money spend on all other things I don't think i be able to go above 1st level upgrade for cabinets in the washrooms. There first upgrade is Viking any way which is standard with lot of other builders.
That's probably what they will say

What I would do is go to any kitchen supplier & get couple of quotes for diff. bathroom vanities. Bring your floorplan & approx. dimensions & get pricing that way. I would not bother with upgrading through the builder if they are asking that kind of money. Get it yourself after closing if you want a particular look/style & you will save money too. Or sometimes you can buy ready made double vanities with sinks & granite counter but you might be limited to certain sizes.