Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-02-05, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Default The Granite/Quartz Countertop Thread

Thought I'd start a thread to share pricing/styles of granite and quartz countertops. The subject comes up a fair bit.

The best pricing I've found for Quartz was $169 per linear foot, installed, from Ikea.

Share yours!

Old 2010-02-05, 12:13 PM
Regular User

You might want to add your location - Ottawa - in your thread
Old 2010-02-05, 01:59 PM
Regular User

If that is indeed per linear foot (as opposed to sqft) that's actually not bad.
Old 2010-02-05, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
You might want to add your location - Ottawa - in your thread
I'm actually curious about other cities, it would be terrific to compare Do you have any quotes?

Old 2010-02-07, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Do you have any quotes?
In our case we paid $5,500 total for granite in our kitchen & all bathrooms but in 2 bathrooms we installed the slabs ourselves & that lowered the labour cost a bit plus we chose those slabs from "left overs", which is even cheaper.
So I think all together it came out to less than $50 sq. ft. for our granite 3 years ago
Old 2010-02-07, 02:02 PM
Regular User

I actually posted yesterday in another thread I started that we went to Ikea yesterday and spoke to the kitchen people about their granite. She said they've got the lowest price available for granite - the most expensive is $150 a linear foot. You order through them, then the order goes to their supplier, they call you to remeasure and then you go to the supplier's warehouse to choose the slab - where you can also choose a different colour that Ikea may not have. Takes about 3 weeks she said. Sounds good and cheap to me!
Old 2010-02-08, 01:29 PM
Regular User

wow.. I didnt think Ikea supplies Quartz and Granite kewl!! We are doing our counter tops after closing... I have been doing research on quartz/granite, etc... I find that Quartz is the best type of material to have in your kitchen as Granite you have to put chemical sealers on it and it leaves stains if you place somethign hot on it... So.. Hubby and I know that Quartz is more $$ but its worth it!!! Does anyone know of a good quartz supplier in GTA/YOrk that is reasonably priced as well as a company that is reliable (in terms of installation, customer service, etc?). I have seen Costco providing that service and the samples are gorgeous but i am not sure. as i have not met anyone who's used Costco before for stuff like this...

Any suggestions woudl be awesome!!!

Thanks!
NMZ
Treasure Hill Lot #23
Jasper 6 elevation 2
Moved in!!!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...9f6e/event.png[/image]
[/link]
Old 2010-02-15, 11:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMZ View Post
wow.. I didnt think Ikea supplies Quartz and Granite kewl!! We are doing our counter tops after closing... I have been doing research on quartz/granite, etc... I find that Quartz is the best type of material to have in your kitchen as Granite you have to put chemical sealers on it and it leaves stains if you place somethign hot on it... So.. Hubby and I know that Quartz is more $$ but its worth it!!! Does anyone know of a good quartz supplier in GTA/YOrk that is reasonably priced as well as a company that is reliable (in terms of installation, customer service, etc?). I have seen Costco providing that service and the samples are gorgeous but i am not sure. as i have not met anyone who's used Costco before for stuff like this...

Any suggestions woudl be awesome!!!

Thanks!
NMZ
looking into quartz too. hubby wants granite but i want quartz. at least we'll settle for some sort of stone hehe
Old 2010-02-16, 04:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdicenso View Post
I actually posted yesterday in another thread I started that we went to Ikea yesterday and spoke to the kitchen people about their granite. She said they've got the lowest price available for granite - the most expensive is $150 a linear foot. You order through them, then the order goes to their supplier, they call you to remeasure and then you go to the supplier's warehouse to choose the slab - where you can also choose a different colour that Ikea may not have. Takes about 3 weeks she said. Sounds good and cheap to me!
How does Linear foot work if you have a larger counter / island, etc? I know most counters are a standard depth, 26" - but this would seem inaccurate depending on the application / kitchen. If you convert this linear foot pricing from Ikea to sq. ft. , it works out to ~$75-80 per sq ft. ... If we want to compare apples. Hence, $50 a sq. ft is a better deal. It all depends on the thickness, style, material and labour for install I suppose...
Old 2010-02-17, 08:46 AM
Regular User

LOL! im sure you both will find a wonderful stone out there that you both will like

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedBlue View Post
looking into quartz too. hubby wants granite but i want quartz. at least we'll settle for some sort of stone hehe
Treasure Hill Lot #23
Jasper 6 elevation 2
Moved in!!!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...9f6e/event.png[/image]
[/link]