Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-16, 08:39 PM
Regular User

Default DND set to take over Nortel campus on Carling

Story here folks

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...169/story.html

Wondering if this will have an impact on the house values (resale and new) in the respective areas i.e. Orleans and Kanata.

P.S: I didn't know that many government employees living in Orleans, judging by the article.
Old 2010-10-16, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Yeah I heard about this at the ottawa real estate conference that I was at on Thursday.

I suspect that Kanata might become more expensive, think of what happened to Barrhaven once the JDS building was taken by the RCMP.

There is so much vacant office space in Kanata, I suspect that more government might over with time too.
Old 2010-12-22, 10:46 PM
Regular User

Hi, I'm surprised that there is not more discussion this (unless I'm missing other threads). I'm very curious as well as I'm one of the many DND employees who will relocate to the new campus. I was initially thinking of Barrhaven but Kanata would make more sense now down the road, plus I've noticed that house prices in Kanata are a bit cheaper than Barrhaven for the same build, roughly 5% which is still a lot of money.

From my obervation a lot of the Olreans folks seem to be francophones, not that I have an opinion on that just stating an observation because there is a large francophone population in DND as well. I will feel bad for them but hopefully there will be sufficient transportation especially OC Transpo. One thing for sure is that the queensway will be more balanced in both directions.

So getting back to how this will impact the house value, yes I'm hoping to get in on a reasonably priced townhouse in Kanata before it's too late or the prices will skyrocket as soon as the first phase of DND relocation hits. From what I'm reading this will probably not happen until at least 2003 but better get in early than later. There are still some new freehold townhouses in Kanata going for around 260-280k range is reasonable these days (can't believe I'm saying this but it's what it is compared to a few years ago).

DND has officially sent an email to all of its employees last week stating which buildings will be affected and which are staying. So moving there ahead of time would be a proactive step for me. Any other DND employees thinking of heading west well before the move?

Last edited by javguy; 2010-12-22 at 10:51 PM.
Old 2010-12-22, 11:45 PM
Regular User

I'm not a DND employee, but I would think that coming from Barhaven via the 416 or Moodie would be very straightforward. There are enough Francophones in Barhaven that there are French schools there (my friend's kids go to French Catholic) so i don't think it would be too much of an issue.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-12-23, 09:07 AM
Regular User

I live in Barrhaven and currently work for DND in Gatineau...man I hope our department gets transfered to Carling!!!! Outside of the Portage area, buses from Ottawa to Gatineau suck!
Old 2010-12-23, 09:55 AM
Regular User

There are french schools in Kanata too! In fact, there is one less than a km from my house. And my townhouse is going up for sale next month...just saying

Barrahaven prices are insane right now. When we first bought our townhome in 2006, Barrhaven prices were roughly the same as Kanata (my house was 5k less, big deal), within 2 years it shot up to at least 15% more!
Old 2010-12-23, 10:05 AM
Regular User

For those gov't workers, how difficult would it be to get a transfer/deployment once this move takes place? I am not at DND but would transfer over in a heartbeat if it meant I didn't have to go downtown anymore.
Old 2010-12-23, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldender View Post
Barrahaven prices are insane right now. When we first bought our townhome in 2006, Barrhaven prices were roughly the same as Kanata (my house was 5k less, big deal), within 2 years it shot up to at least 15% more!
Could'nt agree with you more! Our house was $420K in 2008 when we bought, I just got the lastest pricelist from the sales office a few days ago and it is now $515K for the same model?!?!?! I know HST is now charged on it but what the heck! We initially bought in Barrhaven because it was cheaper than Riverside South. sheessh
Old 2010-12-23, 10:12 AM
Regular User

mia, you bring up a great point. I don't even understand why the gov't is downtown. Expensive rent, paid by tax payers, and lots of employees would rather work somewhere where they didn't have to pay $15 a day for parking!
Old 2010-12-23, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia09 View Post
For those gov't workers, how difficult would it be to get a transfer/deployment once this move takes place? I am not at DND but would transfer over in a heartbeat if it meant I didn't have to go downtown anymore.
If you have your manager/upper manager's backing it is quick and painless. If you are doing it yourself without their knowledge/blessing it will be a long and painful process. Sometime it is long and painful WITH their blessing too......that's just how it is.