Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2010-11-12, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Default Water Heater

Not sure if this has been asked before. I did try searching older posts but could not find a post. Our home came with the water heater installed so the supplier was not of choice. We are having issues with various charges here and there. We requested removal as we would like to go to another provider and the representative said we signed a contract with our purchase agreement and will be charged a hefty penalty charge if we break it. I can not find anywhere in our purchase agreement where it states that and was wondering if anyone had similar issues or any advice?
Old 2010-11-13, 09:31 AM
Regular User

Sounds like the company you're dealing with is just trying to save their contract. If you don't see anything in the PA about that specific company you should be able to walk away. If you don't want to post who the company is could you PM me? Our hot water tank rental company seems to be clueless and I don't want headaches down the road.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheVolga View Post
Sounds like the company you're dealing with is just trying to save their contract. If you don't see anything in the PA about that specific company you should be able to walk away. If you don't want to post who the company is could you PM me? Our hot water tank rental company seems to be clueless and I don't want headaches down the road.

I wasn't sure about the rules about posting company names, I guess I will be told if you can't. So, here I go..it's National Home Services. Any one else having the same issues?
Old 2010-11-13, 11:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by altonvillage-neighbour View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before. I did try searching older posts but could not find a post. Our home came with the water heater installed so the supplier was not of choice. We are having issues with various charges here and there. We requested removal as we would like to go to another provider and the representative said we signed a contract with our purchase agreement and will be charged a hefty penalty charge if we break it. I can not find anywhere in our purchase agreement where it states that and was wondering if anyone had similar issues or any advice?
It is somewhere in the purchase agreement to have a rental tank. Otherwise you would not have had one when you moved in. It is probably a small two lines saying so.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:20 PM
Regular User

I spoke with a Sundial representative at the Welcome home seminar and they said we were not under contract and could change companies without a problem...
Old 2010-11-18, 12:58 PM
Regular User

altonvillage-neighbour - I'm just wondering if there was an update? Did you manage to get them to move the water heater?
Old 2010-11-18, 02:43 PM
Regular User

The charges are really high, I agree. I'm with SDs standard provider and I was really surprised to see their rental fees be as high as they are.
Old 2010-11-18, 03:33 PM
Regular User

What are your rental rates? what type of tank do you have?

Typical:
Conventional 12-14$Not available in new construction
Power vented 20-26$
Tank less 35$++
High Efficiency tank 40-70$
Old 2010-11-19, 09:44 PM
Regular User

We have the power vent unit, and we are paying approximately $71.30 with tax every 3 months for the services. We are waiting for the Sundial office to call back to see about this so called agreement. We are shopping around for rate but everyone seems to be around the same, so if anyone can recommend someone with better rates let me know.
Old 2010-11-19, 09:58 PM
Regular User

Why rent?

This is something we have to look into. We will be getting a rental tankless unit with our new home, and I looked through the purchase agreement before we signed, and saw nothing about a rental agreement. I have no intention of renting the unit, so if the buyout isn't fair, and I'm right that there is no existing agreement, they can come and take it out. I'll just buy another tankless unit and get it installed.