Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-14, 03:50 PM

Default Central Park built over an old landfill. Any issues?

I mentioned to a co-worker that I was interested in some homes in Central Park (bounded by Merivale, Baseline, Caldwell & Clyde), and the first words out of her mouth were about friends of hers who live there and have had issues with thier homes related to the fact that it is built over an old landfill.

Does anyone know what she's talking about!? Is it true about homes with problems? I can't find anything on the web about this issue.

Lloyd
Old 2012-03-14, 07:58 PM
Regular User

I know Ashcroft has some issues with Central Park homes in the early 2000. I believe those issues have been resolved since and i don't hear much negative stuff about Ashcroft, not that they build a lot here in our neck o' the woods or anything.

Regarding Central Park being an old landfill, this doc seems to support that. It goes way back to 1925 or so though so you are probably safe.

I would be more concerned about the housing projects on Caldwell.

http://richardsoncorridor.org/wp-con...ow-forever.pdf
Old 2012-03-14, 08:52 PM
Regular User

I lived in an Ashcroft town home from 2005 to 2007. I hadn't heard of any problems related to a dump. In fact, I was not even aware that was the case. I also did not have any problems with my house. Maybe the original owners had issues? However, some obviously had issues..some very serious (mold)...as the issues were made public. I suspect that the majority of issues were related to a building boom (~2000) , and a shortage of skilled laborers.

I sold because there was some additional high density building underway, and my street became too busy.

I would also recommend an alarm system. I did have a 3 am break-in. Not to say that it couldn't happen here, but it seemed to be an issue. In fact, the responding police officer recommended that I move....maybe because I was a single, female.

Other than that, I loved living there. Excellent, central location!

My two cents...
Old 2012-03-15, 01:14 AM
Regular User

Looking at that map, the Central Park landfill is not/was not where the Central Park housing development is.
Old 2012-03-19, 10:00 AM
Regular User

If you were to look at a map with all the landfills over the last 100 years there you might be surprised. What they should have done is what's called "dead loading" of the site. There will be huge mounds of gravel or dirt applying weight in order to compact the site before building. Reality is, this has happened all over Ottawa with usually no problems.