Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-05-29, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Default New Mattamy Home! - Few questions?

So my fiancé and I just signed the paperwork yesterday for our new Mattamy home in Half Moon Bay. This is our first home and were are really excited!

We chose the Elm Model - Elevation 'B' which is going on Lot #54.

The scheduled closing date is July 29, 2014.

I was going through all the papers we signed yesterday and noticed that in the Tarion Document we received on Page 2 - Point 'D', it states the following:

(d) Commencement of Construction: is expected to occur by the 31 day of March 2014.

That's only 4 months prior to closing and was just curious if that's typically how long it takes to build a home.

Any input on how long it took them to build your home from the day they began construction would be greatly appreciated!

If it helps - we haven't made many structural changes other than 9' ceiling on the main floor, rec room ready package and upgraded Super Shower.

Thanks!
Old 2013-05-29, 09:34 AM
Regular User

4 months is standard. There can be delays if the trades are not available. Our current home went up very quick. Looking at the progress of HMB South I'm hoping it will be on time as we will be moving the end of May 2014.

Mattamy HMB Phase 2
Willowbrook elevation B
Closing date May 29, 2014
Old 2013-05-29, 09:36 AM
Regular User

Hi there,

Congratulations to you and your fiancé! Building your first home is a very exciting process!

Typically builders need 5-6 months to build a new home but this does vary quite a bit depending on the builder - there are many factors to consider re: permits, trades, schedules, etc. Our last home was built in 5 months and our current home had an excavation date of January 28th (which got moved a week later because of the bad weather this year) for our August 21st closing (so almost 7 months). I've heard of many homes being built in 4 months.

Cheers.
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-05-29, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Congratulations.

Four months is about average. It's more than enough time to finish your home on time. Keep in mind also that the date noted is only an estimate. Mattamy may very well dig out and lay your foundation and basement walls way before then.

I can't remember exactly how long it took from start to finish for Mattamy to build our home, but I do remember that they started earlier than the paperwork stated.

Mattamy has great efficiencies when building homes. Most of the materials arrive at the site precut and ready to install. This saves them time. If you drive around a Mattamy site under construction you will not see huge piles of construction waste materials like you will with Minto, for instance.

BTW: If you signed the paperwork yesterday, you should be sending them to your lawyer for review today. Make sure that your lawyer has a chance to review them in the time frame that is allowed.

Congratulations again on your first home.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:44 AM
Regular User

We were freaked out by a similar date (we close in the same neighbourhood on July 22, 2014) but I have a feeling it's the latest date they can start construction by maybe? I mean they're already grooming the street... One can hope, right?
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2013-05-29, 10:01 AM
Regular User

Congratulations! It's a very exciting time! My fiancé and I are just about to move in over the next couple of weeks (we bought with Mattamy as well). It's been super fun so far!

Old 2013-05-29, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Exclamation

I'm waiting for the sale office to open up at 1pm to speak with the person i signed the paperwork with yesterday.

I noticed when I got home late last night that my last name with missing a letter :S I'm hoping this won't cause to many issues :S

Do you know what happens in a case like this - do the redo all the paperwork or just make an ammendment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxborough View Post
Congratulations.

Four months is about average. It's more than enough time to finish your home on time. Keep in mind also that the date noted is only an estimate. Mattamy may very well dig out and lay your foundation and basement walls way before then.

I can't remember exactly how long it took from start to finish for Mattamy to build our home, but I do remember that they started earlier than the paperwork stated.

Mattamy has great efficiencies when building homes. Most of the materials arrive at the site precut and ready to install. This saves them time. If you drive around a Mattamy site under construction you will not see huge piles of construction waste materials like you will with Minto, for instance.

BTW: If you signed the paperwork yesterday, you should be sending them to your lawyer for review today. Make sure that your lawyer has a chance to review them in the time frame that is allowed.

Congratulations again on your first home.
Old 2013-05-29, 10:16 AM
Regular User

With Glenview, we had an amendment issued and signed when the names needed to be changed - an additional purchaser was added as I was only able to be there for the actual signing of the contract originally. All docs since then have been with us both on it.

Old 2013-05-29, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_italia View Post
I'm waiting for the sale office to open up at 1pm to speak with the person i signed the paperwork with yesterday.

I noticed when I got home late last night that my last name with missing a letter :S I'm hoping this won't cause to many issues :S

Do you know what happens in a case like this - do the redo all the paperwork or just make an ammendment?
They could probably do either of those options - it's not a big deal at all - I'm sure it happens fairly frequently. I would personally ask for them to draw up a whole new agreement.
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-05-29, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Yea I was hoping they'd actually just be able to draw up a whole new agreement to have a clean contract right from the get go.

I'll see what he says.