Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2013-12-04, 07:18 PM
Regular User

Default Medallion Thornberry Woods

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new house in Vaughan area, ideally in Maple, but there is nothing left in there, so the other option we are considering in Weston and Major Mac area. Medallion is selling there, the site is called Valleybrooke Estates.

I would like to hear from people who have purchased in that area.

Thank you

Last edited by summerwood; 2013-12-15 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Wrong Site name
Old 2013-12-05, 12:57 PM
Regular User

Medallion is still selling a few lots left (5 lots left as of this week) from their Dufferin/Rutherford site. They also have 9 townhouses set to sell by early 2014. Prices are not yet set for these townhouses but should be in the high 500's to low $600's.

As for valleybrook, they are in phase 2 (about 15 lots left as of this week) which sells for high 800's to low 900's. Phase 3 will begin selling around March 2014. But the price will go up a lot since the servicing costs + development charges have also gone up by a large margin.

Lastly, the selling price is typically set and non-negotiable but you should focus on getting extra upgrade allowance from the builder. $50K in upgrade allowance for Valleybrook phase 2 project is the norm, but try to get $60 - 65K would be totally doable, pending on what models you are looking at.

Before purchasing, do drive around in the neighborhood and see if you like the area and if you happen to see the homeowners of those homes, stop by and ask question.

GL.
Old 2013-12-06, 10:26 AM
Regular User

If you are still looking @ the Maple site, like I said, they still have a few singles and the towns are due to sell after X'mas time. In all, Medallion has built over 400 houses in Maple.

For upgrade negotiation, if you are going for items: here are my suggestion.

1) Upgraded basement ceiling height. I believe standard is 7"6 ? I think going for extra 1/2 ft (approx) would enhance future resale value. Builder is listing this as a $9,200 upgrade cost to homeowner

2) Double front entry door. Just for enhanced front appeal

3) Frameless Glass shower for all bathrooms

4) Upgraded hardwood floor

5) higher 2nd floor ceiling

6) wrought iron pickets railing

7) potlights

8) Upgraded trim - such as taller doors & door hardwares

9) Upgraded granite countertop

If you are going for extra & above the standard upgrade allowance $, like I said, try to get an extra $10K the min. ($60-$65K is totally doable, if you press hard enough)

Last edited by bobblehead; 2013-12-06 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:51 PM
Regular User

It is a tough decision. We like some models more in weston site, especially willowbrooke. But we have been living in maple for 4 years now, and we love the area. It is so close to the go station, i actually walk to the station. So we don't know how convenient is to drive everyday from weston to maple go station.
One more question: Is is reasonable to ask for 10 foot ceiling?

Thanks again
Old 2013-12-06, 09:03 PM
Regular User

If you are leaving before 7am, then I think you should be okay. After this time slot, you are looking at heavy traffic congestion situation.

If you are talking about 10 ft ceiling for 2nd floor, I believe Medallion has never offer it for this project before but 9 ft (for 2nd floor) is an upgrade option ... not very sure. I am aware that the 10 ft & 12 ft for 2nd floor is available at their other project which is located in Mississauga (Springbrook) site.

If you are somewhat interest in the Valleybrook project, they do have 2 model homes you can check out. I believe they are on Chatfield, just stop by at the Medallion sales office and ask for direction and check them out yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
It is a tough decision. We like some models more in weston site, especially willowbrooke. But we have been living in maple for 4 years now, and we love the area. It is so close to the go station, i actually walk to the station. So we don't know how convenient is to drive everyday from weston to maple go station.
One more question: Is is reasonable to ask for 10 foot ceiling?

Thanks again

Last edited by bobblehead; 2013-12-06 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2013-12-06, 10:17 PM
Regular User

Thanks again. I meant 10 ft ceiling on main floor. I know they have models with 12 foot ceiling on main floor, but the model we like is 9 foot only and we would like to upgrade it to 10 foot if possible
Old 2013-12-07, 08:09 AM
Regular User

You can definitely find out for your model from the sales office before you consider buying.

or let me know which model you are looking at and I can try to find out for you
Old 2013-12-07, 08:58 AM
Regular User

Thanks bobblehead,

The model we are interested in is called willowbrooke. It has a nice kitchen and separate living and dining. I think the standard for that model is 9-ft ceiling for main floor.

We will try to stop by today at the sales center and ask them.

Regards
Old 2013-12-08, 06:22 PM
Regular User

I have an update. Went to the builders site and checked with the sales rep there. They are offering now 40K allowance that you can use in upgrades. There might be some room to negotiate some additional upgrades but they don't promise anything until you are ready to make an offer.

They don't have too many lots left though. They have 2 on Harley Street, a couple of lots on Lawford blvd ( which seems to be a busy street ). They also have some lots on another street just south of chatfield, close to poetry drive ( I think the street is called Caryscholl Rd ). So we really don't know what the best lot is

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Is there anyway I can check online for the details of site plan from the city, I want to check where utility boxes are and also the storm drain location so we don't pick a lot with some trouble

Thanks
Old 2013-12-08, 07:18 PM
Regular User

We live in this subdivision. What do you need to know? We're a few streets south of Harley, north facing lot and it is lovely. We really enjoy our backyard in the summer. Catholic elementary and public high school going in for fall 2014. Public elementary kids get bussed now but school is going in in future. We're walking distance to Weston/major Mack and WalMart. I can walk to the GO bus to Yorkdale too, about 20 min walk. I take the GO train in Maple, not a bad drive, up Teston and across. Subway is in in a few years, hoping I have another commuting option. Nice area with good neighbours for the most part.