Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2006-09-18, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Default Hardwood in the kitchen, after closing

Hi, we are planning to do hardwood on our own throughout the house after closing, so we are going to get the builder to put in standard flooring throughout. We would like hardwood in our kitchen/great room/breakfast area as well. However, I understand the standard flooring in the kitchen and breakfast area is ceramic tiles. These would be a real pain (not to mention expensive) to remove. How do we get around this? Will they put some of the standard carpetting in our kitchen if we request it?! That would, of course, be the easiest to remove...

Any tips/hints/suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 2006-09-18, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.mama
Hi, we are planning to do hardwood on our own throughout the house after closing, so we are going to get the builder to put in standard flooring throughout. We would like hardwood in our kitchen/great room/breakfast area as well. However, I understand the standard flooring in the kitchen and breakfast area is ceramic tiles. These would be a real pain (not to mention expensive) to remove. How do we get around this? Will they put some of the standard carpetting in our kitchen if we request it?! That would, of course, be the easiest to remove...

Any tips/hints/suggestions?

Thanks,
From my understanding they will not put carpet in the kitchen , they will not leave it unfinished and that you will have to take the standard tiles in the kitchen, or get them to install as an upgrade, hardwood.

Miko
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2006-09-18, 03:41 PM
Regular User

Thanks Miko, that's what I was afraid of...
Old 2006-09-18, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Installing hardwood in the kitchen = removing all the cabinets to do a proper installation (ie: hardwood under). I'd say pay the builder's price instead and have it done by them. It's not worth the 2-3000$ savings.
Old 2006-09-18, 03:44 PM
Regular User

Don't forget the flooring is also installed under your cabinets. Also with tiles on the floor, they put wire mesh in the scratch coat. I think that installing hardwood in tiled areas after closing is pretty difficult.

Jason
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2006-09-18, 03:48 PM
Regular User

I helped a friend rip out the tile and mesh in his kitchen and hallways. It was a LOT of work..and he removed all the cabinets beforehand and it was still a huge job. Looks great now, I agree, pay the builder to do it.

Mike
Old 2006-09-18, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! Sounds like we'll be getting the hardwood upgrade. (Makes me happy -- means we can move in sooner! We are doing other work ourselves, but of course this was a big one...)

Old 2006-09-18, 07:57 PM
Regular User

Hi.....just to let you know we are doing the same as you--putting hardwood throughout the main floor. We asked them to install vinyl flooring--which they are doing for us--this obviously would cost less to take up and take less time too. In fact we just helped our friends who moved in on Little Rouge do it this weekend in their house and the vinyl was up and out in a half hour..hope this helps..

Marie
Old 2006-09-18, 08:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew and marie
Hi.....just to let you know we are doing the same as you--putting hardwood throughout the main floor. We asked them to install vinyl flooring--which they are doing for us--this obviously would cost less to take up and take less time too. In fact we just helped our friends who moved in on Little Rouge do it this weekend in their house and the vinyl was up and out in a half hour..hope this helps..

Marie
Ohhhhhh, THANK YOU!!! You have made our evening!

My husband was really not happy with being forced into having the builder do the floor. It's not just a cost thing -- he really prefers hardwood flooring laid the "old school" way, very tightly, without grooves, sanded and stained after it's laid (as opposed to brought in the house in sheets and pre-stained, which tends to have the small spaces which can trap dirt). We were just discussing that maybe we should upgrade to laminate in the kitchen (just to have flooring that's easier to rip out and put down the hardwood), but obviously that wasn't an ideal option either. I'm so glad you posted, thank you again! (We were thinking that lifting the cabinets to install the hardwood shouldn't be that bad, since the cabinets are likely brought in pre-fab'ed in assembled pieces anyway...?)

Phew, half an hour to pull the laminate out is awesome! We can do it ourselves before the hardwood people come in.

Old 2006-09-18, 09:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.mama
(We were thinking that lifting the cabinets to install the hardwood shouldn't be that bad, since the cabinets are likely brought in pre-fab'ed in assembled pieces anyway...?)
Sure, they might be easy to lift but:
- You'll damage the countertop when you'll remove it (pretty sure)
- The counter top will end up higher so the tile backsplash won't line up properly
- Depending on how tight things are, the fridge might not have clearance after
- You'll have to shut off the water, cut the sink pipes, and reinstall it after.