Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2015-02-12, 09:06 AM
Regular User

Default Tiffany Park Homes at Valleybrooke Estates in Vaughan

Hi there,

We are in discussions to purchase a home in this phase 3 development near Weston Rd and Major Mackenzie. Looking for any feedback on the area, the builder, design center experiences, and eventually meet some of the new neighbours!

Thanks
Old 2015-02-25, 03:29 PM
Regular User

We firmed up our offer and decided on the Rembrandt model. We will be closing this Fall! They offer a referral bonus of 1K to each party, so if anyone is interested send me a PM as they only have a couple of lots remaining in this phase.

Looking forward to the design center selection process next month. Any advice or anyone from the valleybrook estates development on this forum?

http://www.tiffanyparkhomes.com/pdfs...-Rembrandt.pdf

Last edited by sensfan; 2015-02-26 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2015-02-26, 05:45 PM
Regular User

Hello future neighbor! My wife and I just firmed up our offer with Tiffany Park Homes in Valleybrooke as well!

We went with the Versailles model ourselves, and we close this Fall too.

What kind of upgrades were you thinking about? We are kind of overwhelmed! Were you able to negotiate any extra upgrades with them?

I didn't hear about any referral program myself...too bad!
Old 2015-02-27, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Welcome and congrats! The floor plan looks very similar to ours. Did you end up going with the 4 bedroom or 5 bedroom layout? What street will you be on? We chose the 5 bedroom but opened up two walls to make it into a loft area for now.

As for upgrades, all I've figured out is that the 10K bonus is going to disappear quite quick! We negotiated hardwood upstairs and a side door and deleted the finished hallway in the basement. What upgrades did you include with your offer?

As for what we are considering, I've come up with a huge list of nice to haves... Now it'll come down to what we really need and what we can afford. Any must haves on your list?
Old 2015-02-27, 12:03 PM
Regular User

We went with the 4 bedroom layout, ourselves, on Madoc Place. We didn't see the need for the 5th bedroom. Your idea seems very interesting, though!

By hardwood upstairs, do you mean in the bedrooms, too?

We wanted an edit to our floor plan (delete service stairs, add an extra closet, remove some walls and replace with additional hallway section). So that was the only "upgrade" we were able to negotiate. We asked for more, but it didn't work .

We've taken quite a few looks through the upgrade book - I'm definitely glad they've been so up front about the upgrade costs (even if they are ridiculously expensive!). From the look of it, must have upgrades for us so far are:
- Kitchen Granite Upgrade (My wife and I are not a fan of either default option)
- Kitchen Cabinet Upgrade (Even through we get the first upgrade included, the pickings are not great)
- Conduit/electrical outlet for TV above the fireplace (Room layout effectively necessitates this, even though we don't want our TV there )
- Water rough in for fridge water dispenser
- Some pot lights for the areas with absolutely no lighting (Family Room)

We have a work in progress list we've been compiling, but those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head. As you said, that 10K bonus will disappear really quick!

I also would've loved to increase our basement to 9'...but they quoted like $30,000.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2015-02-27, 02:03 PM
Regular User

We could be backyard neighbours as we are on stormont.

Yes we went with hardwood in all the rooms though ended up having to pay a bit more than our initial offer.

That's one thing we are really happy about is that they let us look at and write down all the upgrade prices. I've heard some pretty terrible stories about some builders who charge different people different prices and all quotes are done behind closed doors.

We were thinking of upgrading to the 200amp service for when we ever do the basement or upgrade appliances down the road.

We also do not like the standard granite. We will be pricing out the one we do like and then compare the price with having it done after wards.

As for the TV I'm worried that the distance from the start of the family room to the fireplace is only 11-12 feet and whether that will be too close to watch. The other option I've seen from some resales is to put the tv on the wall shared by the den. Only downside is you can't cook and watch tv at the same time... lol.

Water line, gas line, pot lights, and vacuum rough in to garage we decide we will be doing after closing. With the basement unfinished it should be fairly easy to do after. I'm surprised they dont give a light fixture in the family room or living room but just a switch controlled plug.

Everything else on the list is just things like whether we want to upgrade the tiles or backsplash or handles or spindles.

we were quoted 30K for basement height upgrade too. Way too high
Old 2015-02-27, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan View Post
We were thinking of upgrading to the 200amp service for when we ever do the basement or upgrade appliances down the road.
That was definitely one of the ones on my list as well. Pricing for it isn't too ridiculous and it might be worthwhile for the future.
Quote:
We also do not like the standard granite. We will be pricing out the one we do like and then compare the price with having it done after wards.
The upgrade prices for 1-2 upgrades isn't too bad, I don't think, as opposed to trying to replace the whole thing after the fact. Depends on whether or not there's something you like in the first few upgrades, though.
Quote:
As for the TV I'm worried that the distance from the start of the family room to the fireplace is only 11-12 feet and whether that will be too close to watch. The other option I've seen from some resales is to put the tv on the wall shared by the den. Only downside is you can't cook and watch tv at the same time... lol.
This room has been giving me nightmares since I saw the floorplan. If you commit to the TV above the fireplace, like you said, it might be unwatchable (or nearly so, my poor neck!). However, I am more concerned that the room would not look right with the TV on the other wall. Not to mention furniture layout issues - the room would only be wide enough for a single couch and maybe one chair to face the TV. Either way I think we have to commit to the conduit as if we don't do it now and decide the fireplace is the way to go, we'd be in trouble.
Quote:
Water line, gas line, pot lights, and vacuum rough in to garage we decide we will be doing after closing. With the basement unfinished it should be fairly easy to do after. I'm surprised they dont give a light fixture in the family room or living room but just a switch controlled plug.
Yes, I am definitely on the fence about the pot lights. I've heard people swear by both ways - to get it done by the builder and to get it done after. This is our first home buy so I don't really have much experience.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2015-02-27, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Still lots to think about, going to add up everything and then see how much we need to cut down lol!

I agree regarding the room layout, if only it was one foot wider! We are leaning towards putting it above the fireplace too but we are still on the fence.

This is our first home buy too. I just know that pot light prices through a builder are like triple what they should cost. My husband has a couple of contacts we will be looking into once we move in.

We just wanted to make the windows a bit bigger as they are terribly small but were told the only way to do that was with the 30K upgrade.

Also on the back burner is doing appliance research and window covering options.
Old 2015-02-27, 07:20 PM
Regular User

Yes, definitely lots of upgrades to consider! We're trying very hard to not miss anything important and obvious .

You are absolutely right about the pot lights and I know it, but I am worried about potential damage if I'm getting it done after moving in. Still, avoiding the builder for pot lights is definitely something I'm strongly considering.

The basement windows are definitely very small. Like you, I asked if it was possible to put in some bigger ones with window wells or something like that, but again, nothing is possible except for paying for the 9' basement.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2015-03-11, 09:16 AM
Regular User

So we just got a call from colours and concepts to schedule our structural and colour selection appointment. We were told it will take approx 4 hours. Think I'm going to have to bring a snack!